The best players of the season 2020/21.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Trachta10, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I made a score based on Opta data

Correct Passes: 0.1 pts
    Shot on target: 2 pts
    Shot off target: 1 pts
    Goal: 5 pts
    Key Pass: 2 pts
    Assist: 5 pts
    Duels won: 1 pts
    Duels lost: -0.5 pts
    (duels are tackles, dribbles, fouls, aerial, and be dispossessed)

Clearences: 0.5 pts
    Shot blocked: 4 pts
    Interception: 1 pts

Goal + assists effectiveness: 0.1 pts

And add something we can call, goal + assist effectiveness
    This is (goal+assist)/(shot on target+shot off target+key pass)*100
    and then this multiplied by (goal+assist)/(minutes)*90
    Example: ((3+0)/(3+1+4)*100)*((3+0)/(90)*90)

I did something to favor those players who played more minutes, add all the points and then divide them by the minutes but add 90 minutes to the minutes the player had. Example.
    (points)/(minutes+90)*90.
    If a player played 180 minutes it is like he played 270 minutes, if played 270 minutes it is like he played 360 minutes.

The score
    (points)/(minutes+90)*90+(G+A effetiveness)*0.1

[​IMG]

I will update it every week

Source:
    https://www.ole.com.ar/estadisticas/futbol/francia.html

Milan05 and Danko repped this.
  2. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    The same score for season 19/20 top 5 leagues

[​IMG]

and for some players in the WC

[​IMG]

3. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  4. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  5. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  6. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whilst the statistical analysis is very impressive it has pretty some pretty big flaws in my view.

It benefits players who pay more games and does not differentiate opponents, so Mane for example had many key moments in PL and was their clutch player is way to low.

Another example Keita comes out as the top Liverpool player, when most people who watched them regularly would say he was not even in their top five.

Lewandowski 17th .... is below wait for it.... Alexis Sanchez....

7. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    an update and changed a little the graph

[​IMG]

8. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  9. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    update after Liverpool vs Arsenal match

[​IMG]

10. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    an update
    285 players

[​IMG]

11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't know if you were thinking about tweaking formula.

Personally i would take total number of assists completely away and put in expected assists value. It literally doesn't matter how many assists you make but how much you create. That way player is not credited for stupid assists like 3 meters pass for 30 meters screamer. Bruno Fernandes had many of those last season, from what i've seen. But keeping key passes and chances created stat, whichever one is accesible.

An obvious one would be seperating penalty goals and valuing them less like 2 points plus minus points for every miss, but i get how that might be a taunting task. This is already a lot for such huge number of players.. but hey, if you every think of upgrading formula.

Back in the day i was thinking very hard about how to quantify one's performance. It is an interesting topic.

12. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    update after Barcelona match

[​IMG]

13. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    updated
    291 players

[​IMG]

14. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    updated
    296 players

[​IMG]

15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Times of London ranked the ten best players in Britain this week:

1. De Bruyne
    2. Van Dijk
    3. Mane
    4. Salah
    5. Alexander-Arnold
    6. Sterling
    7. Bruno Fernandes
    8. Aubameyang
    9. Kane
    10. Ings

So good that England's number one goalkeeper, with plenty of minutes around to check VAR, with the brain switched off in a local derby, kicked him into the hospital in a move that doesn't resemble a piece of standard goalkeeping. With impunity. The diffidence and submission in 'that country' to authority and seniority is shocking (diving, cheating and racism is only done by bloody foreign footballers, of course, and therefore can always face retrospective punishment).

Trachta10 repped this.
  16. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Funny, yesterday i talked with a friend about top players in epl.

My top 3 was:
    1. De Bruyne
    2. Van Dijk
    3. Salah

i don't agree witht he rest lol.

Sterling, Arnold, Kane, Ings... almost as if the British newspaper made the list.

"If you want to know who the best is, perhaps you should start by asking the best. And when last year Lionel Messi cast his vote for the Fifa World Player of the Year, and Arsène Wenger gave his opinion on who should win the Ballon d’Or, they were of one mind: Sadio Mané."

LOL

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  17. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It was a shocking tackle on VVD and was a potential career ender the way Pickford flew in. It was offside so the right decision was made in terms of the play re offside being given but Pickford should have still been sent off.

In a similar example had someone had flown into a tackle in the middle of the pitch by the touchline and the ball had just gone out for a throw in by the tome a player clattered into an opposition player like Pickford hit VVD, they would without doubt have been sent off..... it was bordering on violent conduct.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #18 PuckVanHeel, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020

I honestly find this even worse, because such sideline tackle at least vaguely resembles a normal football action. This thing just didn't. People as Rob Green have come up with Pickford trying a starfish safe, but no, this is a starfish safe. It just isn't anywhere near a standard tool of goalkeeping. It's bitter how VvD is quite a fair defender himself, as universally acknowledged by opposing strikers, but then suffers this. "Over his two full seasons at the club, Liverpool have won 75% of games he started and only 40% when he didn’t." (for Southampton)

There are many things that annoy me here: the baffling inaction of the VAR, with the game paused for several minutes; the diffidence towards seniority, hierarchy and authority; how media articles (The Guardian, The Times, Daily Telegraph) are about what this means for Liverpool etc. but Pickford is let off the hook basically (where is the Suarez treatment in the press?) - and that's just a start.

Seriously, tackles like that go in this country to a criminal court (here an example), with at least financial compensation at play. No way this would be accepted if it was against Neymar or Kane, which gives them an advantage to begin with.

It's bad for him (as he will miss a major tournament and might as many ACL patients not return to the same level) and it is at many levels also not nice for his team mates. Liverpool conceded two goals because of aerial headers, after a restart, and immediately pundits started saying "with Van Dijk you don't win duels against Liverpool so easily". Every loss or goal conceded will, possibly, be a motion of no confidence. One positive is how some of the other Liverpool defenders, and full-back Robertson, have developed themselves a bit (with significant help by VvD, as well as the training staff of course).

Luckily, there are cases of players who redeemed themselves. Ronaldo Luis famously, but also Wesley Sneijder close to home, or Van Nistelrooij.

From this scissor inflicted damage by Diaby, 3 august 2008:
    [​IMG]

To this, with big impact at all levels in key games (Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL, WC), and stealing balls from Messi in both semi final games (good video music!):

"This video is based on his 2010 season that's why it doesn't include footage from all his other clubs!"

Show Spoiler
    "I really felt Fifa were corrupt in 2009 and 2010. Starting with that Barcelona Chelsea match and then the shittiest decision ever in 2010: the three contenders for Ballon d'or Messi Xavi Iniesta. Wesley won a treble and went with the Netherlands to the final to then lose to a better team overall. In that final he found Robben with a brilliant pass that could have sealed it and he put in a great performance. Huge robbery [to not be on podium]!"

"The Van Persie red card against Barcelona [a year later]".

"Sneijder won the CL. Was the best player in the CL. Was top scorer at the WC. Destroyed Brazil solo. Won the treble."

"What separated Sneijder mainly that season was he was absolutely clutch. Scoring in adversity when his teams needed him, when they were behind at home against Barca, in the two tight games with CSKA, in the late comeback against Dynamo, creating numerous chances in the final and perhaps most impressive scoring two goals against Brazil after holland had been dominated early on. Iniesta was close but it had to be Sneijder that year above him."

"Sneijder carried inter to the cl win and holland to the wc final in 2010 but somehow he wasnt even nominated for ballon dor while he could have been the winner, of course messi is the best of all time but in 2010 sneijder was a deserving ballon dor"

19. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    updated
    310 players

[​IMG]

20. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    updated
    314 players

[​IMG]

Titanlux repped this.
  21. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    updated

[​IMG]

comme repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Good to see Memphis coming back strong after his ACL injury and creating so many chances for his team :thumbsup: (that ACL injury involved a fair spirited contact, to be clear). Harry Kane also seems to be coming back although yesterday I wasn't taken away; a weaker game happens with every forward of course.

Sadly he doesn't play UCL football after two strong previous seasons, against the big teams (2018-19, 2019-20).

And that with only 34% possession of the ball; the team captain was playing smart and useful I heard later, and saw that analysed.

[​IMG]

The 'double handicaps' are hard to beat either way.

Edhardy repped this.
  23. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Champions League
    57 players

[​IMG]

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #24 PuckVanHeel, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Messi is number one here and only 119th in the previous table, with the same formula? (yes, he played well, together with Pedri the best on the field imho; I hope btw FDJ his move to CB - to solve the slow and problematic defense - is not permanent).

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/j...roup-stage-md2-28-october-2020.2112274/page-3

With the other eye I also saw Man United.

Trachta10 repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Juventus: Wojciech Szczęsny 6,60 - Juan Cuadrado 6,00, Merih Demiral 4,90, Leonardo Bonucci 5,80, Danilo 6,10, Rodrigo Bentancur 5,00 (83' Federico Bernardeschi), Adrien Rabiot 5,10 (83' Arthur), Dejan Kulusevski 5,00 (75' Weston McKennie), Paulo Dybala 4,80, Federico Chiesa 5,00, Morata 6,30. - coach: Andrea Pirlo 5,20. = average: 5,51 [failing]

Barcelona: Neto 6,00 - Sergi Roberto 6,10, Ronald Araújo 6,10 (46' Busquets 6,00), Clément Lenglet 6,30, Jordi Alba 6,20, Miralem Pjanić 6,40, Frenkie de Jong 6,80, Ousmane Dembélé 6,70 (66' Ansu Fati 5,60), Lionel Messi 7,00, Pedri 6,70 (90' Martin Braithwaite), Antoine Griezmann 6,70 (89' Junior Firpo). - coach: Ronald Koeman 6,80. = average: 6,35 [strong]

http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2020/10/player-ratings-juventus-0-2-barcelona.html?m=1