The best of MLS supporters groups pictures, Vol III

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by G Enriquez, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland would an excellent expansion franchise, IMO. Just so long as they don't have to share w/ the baseball team.

2. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    A Lady with her two Sheep:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    that TommyJ stuff is funniest shite I read whole year :D

4. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, we now know that you will get thrown out of Rice Eccles Stadium if you light a smoke bomb. I got thrown out of the Dallas game this past Saturday! I wear it as a badge of honor!

Myself and one other guy set off some smoke bombs after we scored the first goal against Dallas. Within a minute we had two security guards questioning everyone and I was ratted out by some little fat kid that saw me light it.

I didn't put up much of a fight though since I knew I had an extra ticket that a family member of mine couldn't use. So I went out to my car, took off my Loyalists t-shirt (just in case they were looking out for me at the entrances) put on another t-shirt, and came back into the stadium.

I'm hard core now!

(Yeh, right)

5. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Portland's supporters group get so big? Those fans look awesome!

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Keep up the good work. Don't let anyone rat you out next time :)

7. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah sounds like the other guy did a better job of keeping it on the down-low. Maybe he could give you some pointers. heh heh....

Here is the section after the smoke had mostly cleared

[​IMG]

8. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Ask yourself, what else would there be to do in Portland from April until September sports wise???

The Army is great. Some are great people, who know how to support a soccer team.
    Being located in a town with little competition in the local/urban area really helps them.

9. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    PULLLEEASSE - don't be a hater. If that is what you need to tell yourself to justify what is happening in Shittle than by all means go for it but please don't try to bring our support down cause of some lame excuse you guys use up North.

I assure you that the Mariners are not taking away from Sounders attendance anymore than the Beavers are down here. Apples and oranges my friend. When you consider the size of Shittle then you should know that it is not competition from a MLB team that is driving your woes.

And if the only reason the Timbers Army has grown to the one of the largest supporters groups in North America in 5 years is because we don't have any summer competition than ask yourself why have other cities is USL Div 1 without summer major league sports competition had equal Supporters Club growth? Montreal, Rochester, Charleston, Richmond, Va Beach, Montreal, Vancouver, Puerto Rico....not to mention MLS clubs.

So to answer the original question - How has the Timbers Army grown so much?

A lot of freaking hard work. We realized early on that the team, owned by a baseball guy more concerned with the Beavers, was going to do us no favors. So we created our own merchandise, logo, songs and look. The coverage of the Timbers is pathetic in Portland so we went out and created our own coverage. The Timbers Army has grown so fast and so much because it is now the place for alternative minded 20 somethings to 30 somethings to be. We recognize that peopple, especially newbies, are coming to watch the insanity of Section 107 in action as much they are watching the match on the pitch. We hope they stay because of the match on the pitch but alot of people come to see what those "crazy mofos behind the goal" are going to do next.

Ask all of the Sunderland fans what the difference is between our cities and I guarantee you it has nothing to do with baseball teams.

10. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    wow, I guess if there was no football, baseball, basketball and hockey in DC Barra would have 10000 people :D

11. Stumptown Texan

Stumptown Texan New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    PDX
    [Ditto to Finn's comments... Look, on your own message boards you guys are wringing your hands that you can't get your own friends from the local leagues to come to a game. As a newcomer to the TA this season, my impression of the TA is that they have shown the team management that they don't necessarily have to lick the boots of suburban soccer moms to try and get a crowd. It's more of a grassroots effort to get the situation to what it has always been elsewhere: a sport that appeals to the working-class person who is out for some great atmosphere, comaraderie, an appeal to community, and hopefully some good soccer. The Mariners aren't hurting you. It's the slavish attempts to try to appeal to this disinterested, upper-middleclass demo. that is killing you. You're not alone. This is a problem with the MLS and other American sports as well. Canned music, T-shirt cannons, kid entertainment areas are just teaching the kids that the sport isn't entertaining enough. Start fixing things in your own backyard before postulating on the success of your neighbors. :rolleyes:

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Groups not doing so well should point fingers at themselves before they do at clubs or stadium etc...

anyways this is pic thread :p

13. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin

Some friends and I started playing on Saturdays before heading off to see Galaxy games in the evening. And soon people that were playing with us were coming to games with us and hanging out in LARS. Now its a package deal, as people expect to play and view all day long.

With time the numbers will get bigger.

14. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually Montreal and Vancouver both have decent supporter groups. They have grown quite a bit over the past few years.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW, I'm just happy to see such levels of organized fan support in the USL.

16. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Ditto.

17. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    I in no way slagged the Army in my post.
    I commend them on the work they've done to build their group.
    It's a great thing to see.

It's not just the Mariners (but it doesn't help when the Sounders schedule games on the same day, at the same time). Comparing the Beavers to the Mariners is apples and oranges my friend, and it a laughable comparison. They may play the same sport, but that's where it ends.

So Finny, what other sporting events are there in PDX from April until September?

Why does the TA seem to be obsessed with what is going on in Seattle?

18. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    hehe, count yourself lucky. In most European countries (at least the western and central ones) you get a countrywide stadium ban for at least one year if you are caught setting of smoke bombs or flares (that's why they always cover their faces with scarves, so you can't be identified.).

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I should send you dvd that has Grasshopers : Dinamo (0:5) from '97 on it, too funny :D Suprised they didn't ban all our clubs and citizens from Swiss after that haha

20. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    Grasshoppers getting thrashed 5-0 sounds funny indeed :D

got any pics? (hm, we're getting off topic... sorry guys ;) )

21. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    pick up BBB dvd 1, it's on there, someone was shooting it from stands with camera since 2 sides of stadium were Dinamo (BBB were boycotting home games and trying to get club fined at the time I think so everyone went to aways)

Everytime Grasshopers attacked it would look like picture, to their credit they actually played with flares burning all over till ref would stop it and get firemen to clear it. No wonder they lost 5:0, it was 4:4 in Zagreb.

[​IMG]

to keep it on topic, here's some DC from last year

http://www.bastaic.com/ultras/hophopbarra.AVI that would look better with flags nowdays, at the time we were still looking for acceptable flagpoles

yes guys in front with Boca and Independiente jerseys have DC ones now:

[​IMG]

22. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    Hehe, sounds crazy. yeah I might pick up a BBB dvd some time... how many are there out now already, 3? I wonder if it comes close to the Szene Basel DVD's :D j/k

back to topic.

what i'm wondering about is what percentage of the people in the active stands (barra brava, section 8, whatever) are originally from South America, or other countries where they have brought their supporting passion from? I mean don't get me wrong, of course the Americans in there can be just as passionate, but judging from the pictures and e.g. the name Barra Brava surely they make up quite a big part? And you BBBulldog obviously also brought in your Dinamo experiences? :D I think it is a positive thing to have this influence in general, hopefully those Americans who are not much into football / soccer yet get sucked into it as well and get a taste of what football passion has to offer, surely then it will in the long run make a good leap ahead.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think second one from that same guy comes out in fall, he only has one out (1994-2000) and mostly it's fights and such since that was during time we were trying to get name Dinamo back (it concludes with 2/14/00 when name was returned) it's just his amateur video and tv news. Second will be 00-02 and might have some choreos and such since in 90s anything with Dinamo was prohibited at home games. Basel dvds are way better quality. :p

Barra Brava grew a lot and most people coming are born in US, which is good, but you still hear lots of different accents at tailgates, there are people from all over South/Central America, Europe, Africa, Asia. Americans are just slow to grasp some concepts, it'll get there :D (unlike some of Japanese groups whose league is not much older than MLS and their groups can already school most of the world on creating atmosphere). When DC gets their own stadium it will get much easier for us, right now both them and us are at mercy of people that most definitelly don't get it.

24. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another Best of MLS Fan Pics thread, another pissing contest between USL fan clubs and verbal masterbation about smoke bombs. Only took three pages too.

25. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Okay, so post some pictures of the alleged "Revs fans." I posted a picture, making the masturbation about smoke bombs not just verbal, but visual!

RSL has great fans.