The best of 2008?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Dec 21, 2008.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The best player?

Argentina: Sebastian Blanco (Lanus), Martin Morel (Tigre) were the best for the Apertura 08.
    South America: Joffre Guerron (LDU) during Copa Libertadores. It's a shame he was not able to stick around for the CWC.
    World: Christiano Ronaldo (ManU) had the best season. Andrei Arshavin (Russia) at the Euros was the most pleasant surprise.

The best team?

Argentina: Boca Juniors
    South America: Liga Deportiva de Quito
    World: Manchester United
    National Team: Spain

The best goal?

In terms of significance, Lucas Viatri for Boca vs River. Boca was 11 points behind San Lorenzo at the time, tied 0-0 and one man down at the Monumental. This goal was the turning point for Boca's title run, as well as probably the nail in the coffin for River.

[youtube]qgn-ZebCke8[/youtube]

The best game?

In terms of excitement, Boca 3 San Lorenzo 1, the Apertura key tiebreaker match.

The best moment?

When the final whistle was blown in the Boca vs Tigre match.

Any more you care to imagine.

Every time Roman Riquelme came up huge in a must win game. Especially his goal from a free kick against Arsenal in the 90th minute that enabled Boca to reach the top spot in the table.

[youtube]MFVrjO55IiE[/youtube]

Honorable mention

Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Colombus Crew) showed his class in leading his team to the MLS title.

3. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lmao.

4. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Its hard to argue with the consesus best choices already featured in this thread. So let me add some honorable mentions.

Teams:
    Argentina Olympic, making it two in a row
    Egypt, making it two in a row in Africa. Can we please see them in 2010 instead of Tunisia
    Paraguay (a relatively small and poor country), running away with South America qualifying

5. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Best Team 2008,

Hoffenheim. Amazing run since February 2008. Can't wait to see them play in Europe's CL.

Best National Team 2008,

Argentina, Beijing 2008.

Best Player 2008,

Ronaldo

Best Game,

Bremen vs Hoffenheim. 5-4 end result, but how many times did Hoffenheim hit the post ? [​IMG]

Best defending moment 2008,

Ibertsberger in the last minute against Frankfurt. What a save. One of the best save's ever done. edit,

here, @ 6.28 http://de.sevenload.com/videos/uVnIBXc-BuLi-7-Sp-Hoffenheim-Frankfurt

Best celebration 2008,

EVERY Riquelme celebration after he scored. I love his arrogance like 'I am god, now sing for me'. :D

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We get to drink beer, stand on our seats, and see naive yet highly entertaining attacking football, all at reasonable season ticket prices sponsored by local people who actually care about their club. In short, we don't give a shit what people like you think about it, we love our league. As do premiership scouts mind.

7. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Best Player: Cristiano Ronaldo
    Best Team: Manchester United
    Best Goal: Carlos Tévez vs. Blackburn Rovers

[youtube]s_I7BNhbL1I[/youtube]

Best Game: Turkey 3-2 Czech Republic (Euro 2008)
    Best Moment: Spain winning the Euro 2008