The Best MFL Game you have ever had the pleasure to see?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Sep 22, 2003.

1. The Best MFL Game you have ever had the pleasure to see?

I will go with the Atlas 2 - 2 Toluca game at the first of the final series in Verano 1999.

2. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Live or on the tele??

3. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    America 1-0 Guadalajara, Apertura 2002 ("El Superclasico")

Marcelo Lipatin scored the only goal in the 84th minute, but each team had numerous chances. The game was extremely fast paced but neither team could convert.

This also was Cuauhtemoc's first game back in Mexico after the catastrophe at Valladolid.

4. Both.

5. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    just about any America game on the road. Teams tend to play wide open and risk when they are not playing us in Azteca.

1. America 3 - 0 Necaxa (Verano 2002 Final) TV
    DeporTV and all the antiAmericanistas stayed in thier houses, they beat thier wives, they just didnt know what to do or feel

2. America 2 - 0 Chivas (Verano 1999) LIVE
    my first superclasico that i remember going to already being a hard core fan of America. Blanco scoring made it sweeter.

3. America 4 - 1 Pumas (88 Finals) TV
    I was 9 years old, and we had just gotten eliminated from little league all star tournament. We moved from Mexico the year prior to that, so I kind of missed Mexico. My great grand father died about a month prior.. so it was real rough on the family. But I remember watching the game with my cousins and it brought comfort. That was about the time I started to get more into America.

4. America 2 - 2 Cruz Azul (89 Finals) TV
    another great summer. Got finished playing little league all star tournament, and after it was over for us, we spent the remainder of the time all over Mexico. that was a great summer and aswome road trip that basically lasted 2 months. going to queretaro, Guanajuato, San Miguel, Ixtapan de la Sal, Veracruz, Aguascalientes, Monterrey, Tampico, Pachuca, Morelia, Tula, Xalapa, Poza Rica. My dad took us to the ruins and all the museums that summer. He actually let us stay in Mexico City more than a day. He never really wantes us there for a long time. We were like the griswalds. Every road trip in Mexico becomes a history lesson with my dad. He just thought that the American schools werent going to teach us our history, so he taught it himself. I still remember that... going to the place they shot Pancho Villa, and where battles took place and what not. AND saw the final again with my cousins.

America 2 - 0 Morelia (02 Copa Libertadores 1/4) TV
    I know its not an MFL match, but might as well have been :D. we beat them and eliminated them playing with 10 men for over 95 minutes. It was justice if you ask me. We helped them qualify into the Libertadores and it was only right we eliminated them

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    another memorable game that comes to mind is a Toluca - Chivas game. I believe it was in the quarterfinals (2001). It ended up in a draw, It was played in Guadalajara. But the game was back and forth back and forth... real entertaining

I was surprised Chivas could play like that. they did well, but when yu let points go away at home.. it will always come and bite you in the ass

another game... was the Pumas - RSL that was played a year ago.. where the score ended up 6-3 in favor of RSL... MAN what a game...

another game was the 7 -1 schalacking that Pumas handed down on Chivas

7. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    You guys are all biased. Why don't you just go ahead and say the best game you saw with America?

Staying true to the topic, I would pick the final between Leon and Cruz Azul, back when that Argentinian goalie played for Leon. He was playing with River Plate last season, I think.

Anyway, that goalie was a mean sonofabitch and right at the end of the last game I remember him lunging studs-up into Hermosillo, and cutting a huge gash in his face.

The ref called a penalty and Hermosillo lined up to take the shot, reached up to feel the cut, looked at the blood on his hands, looked at the goalie, and then stuck it in.

Awesome game, awesome moment.

8. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    You guys are all biased. Why don't you just go ahead and say the best game you saw with America?

yeahhh mmmmmmm. I think the title of the thread is "the best MFL game you have ever had the pleasure to see?" If you want, we should start the "Robvii's approved list of Best MFL games he has ever watched" thread

geee lets seeee

America - Cruz Azul Final. mmmmmmm derby, the young super clasico as the like to call it playing in the finals.. the stakes cant get any higher than that if you ask me and it showed on the field.

America - Pumas Final. mmmmmmm derby. another rivalry. the UNAM fans hate America with a passion. Can the staked get any higher, I think not.

America - Necaxa Final. 12 years of waiting. mmmm the first leg Necaxa won 2-0. the return leg, America won 3-0. The refs screwed us over a couple time. And we still won. And what was so great about it.... TV Azteca's show, DeporTV did not say one word about it. They just talked about the up coming World Cup. OHHHHH but when America lost 2 days prior 2 that.... they were all over that... That to me made it even sweeter. It was just an awsome game

Staying true to the topic, I would pick the final between Leon and Cruz Azul, back when that Argentinian goalie played for Leon. He was playing with River Plate last season, I think.

Angel Comizzo.

Anyway, that goalie was a mean sonofabitch and right at the end of the last game I remember him lunging studs-up into Hermosillo, and cutting a huge gash in his face.

The ref called a penalty and Hermosillo lined up to take the shot, reached up to feel the cut, looked at the blood on his hands, looked at the goalie, and then stuck it in.

if blood is what you want, then there are plenty of those. The America - Chivas royal rumble of 2 years ago or the INFAMOUS one in the early 80s.

Awesome game, awesome moment.

just a difference of opinion...

i tend to like teams like America and UNAM... because of one thing holds true... it doesnt matter if they play on the road, at home, or what the stakes are... they play to win. they win big when it works in their favor and the reporters all love them for playing an attacking style. but when they lose... they criticize thinking they should have played it safe..

9. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, if you say so.

Close second:

Necaxa 4-4 UNAM, Clausura 2003

Necaxa was down 4-0 at halftime and was completely dominated, then scored 4 goals in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    good call.....

and as a result... Pumas lost all mathematical possibilities to qualify to the Liguilla..

11. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Morelia and Toluca was also a nice game to watch... when Morelia got crowned for the first time

12. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    My top three:
    1) Toluca-Atlas 2-2 in the finals. That was really the first timeI ever remember paying attention to a MFL final and it was awesome. Atlas under LaVolpe was young and really exciting but Toluca under Meza was a little better.

2)Toluca-Morelia Forgot the Score but it was the second leg of the finals. Bofo Bautista score in like 10 seconds into the game and it looked like Morelia would pull off the upset but Vicente Sanchez was possessed and lead his team to the championship.

3) Toluca-Chivas 3-3 this game was either last season or the one prior to it. Chivas playing at home was playing really awesome and it looked like they would get an easy win but Toluca suddenly woke up and just completely took over and came back to tie. They actually almost scored a 4th goal.

*A close 4th is the only MFL game I ever saw in person. Atlas-Cruz Azul A couple years back. Cruz Azul jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead and Atlas came back and scored the game winner in the 90th minute. And to top it off I got doused with beer on the way out of the stadium by some pissed off Cruz Azul fans.

13. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Something about that game, maybe it was that I felt Blanco could do anything. At any rate it was very intresting and exciting game.

14. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's a good one!

15. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    america versus cruz azul

it was last year...

i forget the final score, but i remember el loco abreu scored two CRAZY golazos.

16. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There's a few.

The first that comes to mind is...

The second leg of the Verano 1998 final. Toluca vs. Necaxa.

Necaxa had won the first leg 2-1. Then in the second leg, Necaxa went up 2-0 in La Bombonera within the first two minutes. The global score at that time was 4-1 Necaxa. Then Taboada scores in the third minute to get Toluca back in the game. 3 goals in 3 minutes. I remember the TV folks totally missed that goal as they were still showing replays of Aguinaga's goal. Then Toluca ultimately comes back and wins the game 5-2. Champs Verano 1998.

Awesome stuff.

17. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Most recently:

UNAM vs. America, 4-3 UNAM, Apertura that's going on right now.

I went to a Cafe Tacuba show last week, and I was talking to a Pumas fan outside and he started giving another Americanista *#*#*#*# about that game.

Also, the last Santos/Toluca match that happened in the Clausura last year. Santos were down 3-1 and came back to win 4-3 in La Bombonera.

And in the Repechaje for the last Clausura, where Chivas beat Cruz Azul 4-0 in the second leg after losing the first leg 4-0.

18. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i feel the forces. I smell a sock. I sense a power far geater than the chicolocolae :)

19. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's gone too long without making a mess.

Yours powers truly do impress me master rdl.

20. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL

21. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Well, if you equate Best game to most fun just watching one, i'd go with Tigres 4 - 4 Toluca (1999), what a game... Batocletti was the DT for Tigres then...

It was not a technically good game or a well strategized game at all....Just spectacularly fun to watch... never saw anything like after...

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    no sock

chicholaleote has no memory....to recall recent scores!

23. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    I somehow stumbled into a thread that started in 2003 but it was intersting so i thought i'd bring it back.

I have seen a lot of great games but the one that i saw live that i liked the most was America VS Morelia when America won 6-3. My whole family goes for Morelia except me and a few others but i was alone that day with about 10 other Morelianos. The whole day my family was just makinf fun of me for going for America and they kept saying that Morelia was going to kill us. 15 minutes into game and America was winning 3-0. Not to mention that Cuauhtemoc scored a hat trick

My other favorites were all America vs Chivas games. When America won 1-0 a year ago I was at the Stadium (Jalisco) when Cuauhtemoc missed the penalty, all of the Chivas fans thought that they were going to actually get a tie and than having Navia scoring a chilena! Then again this years Classico when the score was 3-3, The Azteca was amazing. Then this past friendly when America won 3-0

24. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Necaxa's first win at Estadio Victoria in Aguascalientes Mexico. They beat Atlante 2-0.

25. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One that comes to mind was the one with america versus i think atlante. please correct me if i am wrong. it was about a year ago i think. it was the game when cuautemoc took a great shot at the goalkeeper but the goalie blocked it and then mocked cuau by doing his famous pose. right near the end of the game blanco managed to score a great goal and jumped at the goal net 3 times mocking the keeper. it was so funny! the crowd was chanting "owe owe blanco blanco"