The Best FIFA Football Awards on 23 September 2019: Nominees Announced

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Jul 31, 2019.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/news/choose-the-best-now is titled "Choose The Best Now." As usual, four groups are weighted equally. They are fans (all votes worldwide are combined), media, national team coach, and national team captain. The last three voting groups allow one per country. Most countries submit votes, but not all of them. If all 211 countries had 3 voters, it would be 633 ballots. Last year there were 506 ballots, which is 79.9 percent of 633. All voters pick 3 players or coaches depending on the category with first given 5 points, second given 3 points, and third given 1 point. All the nominees are ranked separately for the four voting groups This time they rank the nominees using this point system:

First: 12
    Second: 10
    Third: 8
    Fourth: 7
    Fifth: 6
    Sixth: 5
    Seventh: 4
    Eighth: 3
    Ninth: 2
    Tenth: 1

Three of the categories have 10 nominees. Women's Player has 12 nominees, and the women ranking 11th and 12th within a category do not get any points. To get the total for a category, the sum of the four voting groups are added. For example, finishing first in three voting groups and second in one voting group would give 46 points. A perfect score of 48 and a score of 46 both guarantee winning the award. 44 points guarantees at least a tie for first, and they link to https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...f-allocation.pdf?cloudid=swunljn2kbv1nfrtjapa which includes the tiebreakers. The tiebreakers are:

1. Most first place votes within your category, with Men's Players ranked by votes from Men's Captains, Men's Coaches ranked by votes from Men's Coaches, Women's Players ranked by votes from Women's Captains, and Women's Coaches ranked by votes from Women's Coaches.

2. Most second place votes within your category.

3. Most first place votes from the three categories other than Fans.

4. Most second place votes from the three categories other than Fans.

In the unlikely event that the above tiebreakers are insufficient, there will be co-winners.

In the past the nominees were ranked using percents. I don't know how the four voting groups were combined to make the percents.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For players who switched leagues, I gave each league 0.5. The 55 players have this breakdown by league (I named the countries because all of them are in the country's top league, but this by league, not nationality):

England: 21
    Spain: 20.5
    Italy: 5.5
    France: 3.5
    Germany: 2*
    Netherlands: 2
    Brazil: 0.5

Bayern Munich's Joshua Kimmich and Robert Lewandowski were the only Bundesliga players. Without checking, I would think the Bundesliga had more players in past years.

3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'd think so too but I couldn't find the full 55 player list with a quick search, only the 11 picked for each year.

Looking at the yearly teams though it comes up with Neuer as GK 2013-16 and Lahm + Ribery in 2013 and Lahm + Kroos in 2014 but no more.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States