The Best Ever Central Midfielder?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 8, 2005.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This is a poll for the best all round midfielder, d-mid or 2 way midfielder.

Thus there are a number of players who played in very different styles here. The key point is that they must do more than simply attack.

2. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    My Bias' tells me to vote for the legend that was Matthaeus.

But Since I've only seen a fraction of these players play how can I choose who is better.

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Matthaus. He had great stamina and he managed to play until he was 40. Not only that he can play in a few positions.

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Jozsef Bozsik - there are so many great players (and Duncan Edwards had the potential to be one of the greatest ever), but Bozsik was basically the player who defined the role of a modern midfielder.

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Duncan Edwards is one of those what if players.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is going to be close... Mathaus caught my eye, but I could not rightly choose him and leave Rijkaard out and at the same time, both to me, while truly worldclass players lacked the drive of Roy Keane. It saddened me not to be able to vote for Redondo as well... ahhh.

I've got an idea... maybe comme, you could take the 2nd placed players and make a team of them... they surely would not be too far behind.

7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Definately - what footage of him that there is shows him to be a truly remarkable player, but unfortunately we will never know how his career would have panned out. He certainly had all the potential to be one of the very best players ever to play, and from 56-57 he was possibly the best in the world at his position.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's a great idea. These polls about the greatest ever XI are becoming cliched, regardless of who creates them. The second placed one might be more interesting and spontaneous in terms of votes.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    comme, no Didi? Nevermind. I see you put him in the other thread.

Anywho. I'm being a pest. My vote here would be for Beckenbauer :p

I wonder if Rijkaard would have made this team if you had put him as a CB.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rijkaard is worthy of a vote and he should be the defensive midfielder in the XI. He wasn't very well known for playing as an attacking midfielder though. As multi-dimentional as he was, attacking midfield is probably the only midfield position that Rijkaard would encounter some problems with. His winning goal in the 1990 European Cup final for AC Milan is in my opinion, the best example of him being placed in a more attacking midfielder-like position.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Mattheus due to my inclination to German players :p

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Edwards get an honourable mention, but it is between Redondo and Keane for me. Given the debate that we have had over the lack of steel in defence and the fact that the majority of players who will make the team will be noted for their skill over everything else, then I would select Keane. I feel he is required to add some aggression and tenacity into the midfield.

13. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    My nomination under "others" is Stefan Effenberg. I would take him anyday over Roy Keane - he was every bit as aggressive and commanding, but a better footballer.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I also rate Effenberg, but I rate Keane higher.

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Effenberg was a fine player, but does he really stand up to Coluna (who ammazingly has no votes), Bozsik, Matthaus and Rijkaard?

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rijkaard, Mathaus, Redondo, Keane. In that order.

I really like Ardiles too, but he'd have to be paired with a more defensive mid to be most effective.

17. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I voted Rijkaard, though as a rightmidfielder Neeskens would be great.

18. Gringocholo

Gringocholo New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Dublin
    Well lets say wre not spoilt for choice.the list is crap.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm slightly disappointed to see no votes for Blanchflower, although he might be a bit lightweight to play as a true d-mid. He was though a remarkable player.

On the likes of Effenberg, he was considered, along with quite a few other modern players such as Vieira, Deschamps, Davids, Robson but just missed out on the list. His duals with Keane were superb.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Wh would you have voted for then?

Please people, don't just vote "other", write in who you would have wanted.

21. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    Central Midfielder doesn't neccesarily mean being a defensive player, Hoddle and Platini were central, so can i vote for Michel??

If so then Platini, even though he's french.

22. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    No he doesn't (mostly due to his lack of success with Germany), but he's easily in the same league as Roy Keane.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Even if he did have a great international career I don't think he could really compete against those guys. The guys you've listed were not only more gifted but they were more versatile than Effenburg.

24. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I would put him just a notch below Keane, but you've seen much more of Effenberg than I have and can probably give a fairer judgment.

25. slacker999

slacker999 New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Redondo.

...followed by Rijkaard and Matthaeus.