The Best Box to Box midfielder?

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by man_in_the_middle, Sep 11, 2014.

1. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    I was talking with a friend the other day and we were having a debate about who the better player was between Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, or Edgar Davids?

Obviously we were focused on a specific time period. Redondo's name was omitted only because we felt he was more often used as an anchor/deep lying playmaker.

So I'm looking for opinions about which of the three you believe was best and why?

And how about a best of All-Time while we're at it?

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Bozsik, Gerson, Falcao, arguably Rijkaard and Mathauss (used more as DM though) Masopust, Coluna, Arie Han Neeksens ...

to lately Yaya Tourre, Xavi , Xabi Alonso , Schweinteige ...

3. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    And of Davids, Vieira, or Keane, who do you prefer?

4. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the same era, I prefer Pavel Nedved.

From the three guys mentioned, I prefer Patrick Vieira.

5. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    Of course Nedved was fantastic and although Nedved could contribute to the team in a variety of ways he was a different type of player. Surely much more attacking than an all action battler.

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    different type and different style.
    Keane was more of a solid DM with very good bossing in midfield.
    Vieira and Davids were more like the boss of midfield with good skills in DM

If my team is a bit weak in defensive (mMF or CB) I need a good dependable CM with good defensive skills in Keane.

If my team is good ok in defensive midfield or CB I might need a bit of bites in Vieira or Edgar davids

In overall Vieira would edge them slightly .. I think

7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Davids

Keane.

Vieira.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    For your info:
    Vieira won the BEST MF of EPL in whole decade 94-04 over Keane (close 2nd)

9. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    alltime its gott abe someone like coluna, neeskens, ocwirk, masopust.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah like I listed before ... but I forget to mention .. Ocwirk (along some otehrs ...)

11. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    1) Matthaus
    2) Neeskens

12. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
  13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Of those three Keane was the best IMO. Davids next and then Vieira a long way back.

Keane's positioning and reading of the game was the best of the lot, the key attribute for any central midfielder.

14. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree Vieiria should not be in the discussion. but your opinion of 1 and 2 is interesting, espeically since you are so knowledgeable. what do you think of David's play (not compared to anyone just overall)?

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I thought he was excellent. Technically he was terrific, particularly his short passing which was crisp and precise. He had that tenacity and desire but it was channelled.

I also thought he was extremely important to the rejuvenation of Barcelona in his short spell there. He was terrific in that period and ultimately saved the job of Rijkaard, laying the way for the 2006 CL win.

Anyway, I've always had a big thing for dreadlocked Dutch midfielders but he was quality I thought.

J'can repped this.
  16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    ironically Vieira was voted as the best midfielder in EPL of last decade , over Roy Keane (#2)
    that's only EPL, besides, Vieira was featured in WC06 and Euro 2000 ALL star team > Keane in international games

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    think vieria is more likeable than Keane. kind of like why messi won the GB.

cue bada in 3, 2, 1...........

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    note... in that PFA best XI of decade, Vieira had more votes by professional (then Keane) , not a POP choice (so nothing to do with likeable or love-able)

And here is an example of POP votes by Dailymail.uk made 2009
    Who is the best Premier League player of the decade?
    As we leave another decade behind, it seems only right that we remember some of the great players that have brightened our footballing lives in the ten years past. Who has been your favourite - and have we missed anyone out? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/chat/r/t-10081172/index.html?threadIndex=2

THE LIST: Top 50 players of the decade in the Premier League -

1- Henry
    2- Ryan Giggs
    3- C. Ronaldo
    4- Bergkamp
    5- Scholes
    6- Lampard
    7- Vieira
    8- Shearer
    9- Rooney
    10 Gerrard
    11- R Keane
    12- Nistelrooy
    13- S Given
    14- Drogba
    15- Owen

19. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    No contest here.

[​IMG]

20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ??? frank sinclair???

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Dave Mackay never gets the credit he deserves.

frasermc repped this.
  22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    There's only one Carlton Palmer,
    And he smokes marijuana,
    He's 6ft tall, and his heads too small,
    Livin in a Palmer wonderland!!!

frasermc repped this.
  23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    maybe a good call , but I did not really have chance tow watch him in those old days ...

24. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Of the three I'd say it's very close between Keane and Davids and Vieira comes after them. But definitely not by a long way as some are saying.
    Keane had the best positioning and was slightly better as a destroyer than the other two. He was also a decent passer and very aggressive (pushed the team forward). His perfomance vs Juve in 99 was something to behold. Davids had decent dribbling technique and carried the ball well from deep but his passing wasn't all that, his positioning was average as well but he had elite stamina and always got back in position or made those runs from deep at Juve. Also very aggressive (The Pitbull) and he was the reason we could play a 4-4-2 with him and Zidane as the midfield 2. One of the best players at WC 98 and Euro 2000.
    Vieira was the 'slicker' footballer of the three and comfortably a better passer than the other two. I thought he was a superior attacker too though I'd guess their goal stats dont differ much. I feel his perfomance in WC'06 is really underrated.

Pipiolo repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Nasty foul against Davids there at 1:30 and arguably escaped a 2nd yellow there. A yellow wouldn't have been out of place.

Both Davids and Viera were way more progressive in their play, thus naturally also more often out of position from a defensive point of view.
    Both Davids and Viera performed best (most flashiest) with a restrictive partner next to them, while Keane played with Scholes. Keane was almost always the most 'restricted' midfielder in the United set-up while the same can't be said about Davids and Viera really.
    No doubt Keane was important though, he was their best paid player in the 'good' years.

In short: Keane was the most defensive of the three, Viera the most offensive (esp. on the break) and Davids something in between.

I never liked Davids because of his presentation in the media but he could play yes.

[as one of the comments say; the videos has left out a moment where he nutmegs Nedved and wins a free kick close to the penalty area]

For Davids at his best, one has to watch him against Real Madrid in 1995 or Dortmund in 1996.

JamesBH11 repped this.