The Best Boot??

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by OLbloke90, Sep 15, 2002.

1. OLbloke90

OLbloke90 New Member

Aug 25, 2002
    Pot.
    What brand and make of shoe do you think is the best this includes all the custom made shoes from italy and germany....places like that..

2. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
    Nike Mercuial Vapors in Blue

3. riphamilton

riphamilton Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Connecticut
    for my game (midfield) the nike air zoom total 90 II's.... and for a little flair, get them in white

4. spender

spender New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    umbro XAI SG for sure

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been a fan of Nike boots. They put a lot of pressure on the back of my ankles for some reason. I really like the Adidas World Cups (not Copa Mundial) because they are just simple and comfertable.

6. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have a pair of Adidas Copas that are okay, but most of my friends swear by Kelme.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Diadora Brasil.

I'm an old fashioned kid when it comes to boots - I'm sure the technology is nice and maybe it adds a little comfort or performance, but it's not really worth the extra weight or dollars. Plus, I don't like to look flashy so I avoid all the designs and colors, but to each his own.

Give me no-frills kangaroo-skin boots and I'm set to go (of course, I wear the Brasil with blade studs).

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Das Boot ??.

As I can't play football (and I don't mean I have no legs or anything), I can't really comment. I'm not the sort for fancy colours and all that poser nonsense. I'd have straightforward surable black ones. If they had studs I'd sharpen them as well.

9. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I second this.

10. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who works in a Soccer store, and has had lots of access to boots, I have two choices...

If money were no object, I'd take the Predator Manias in black. Comfortable, boot feels nearly broken in as soon as I slipped it on my foot.

Since money is an object, and I don't play enough to warrant really expensive boots, I'll take (and just did :) ) a pair of German Copas... Kangaroo leather, German manufacturing, and sturdy as hell.

Mercurials are too light, the heel counter pinches my achilles and the heel sits too low in the shoe. Kelmes are having a bad run this year. I've had two pair of the Duende III's returned by the same customer in a month because the forefoot is peeling away from the upper, and a pair of Master Whites have the same problem. All three pairs were cared for very well, so user defects are ruled out. Kappa and Diadora just don't agree with my foot, and Pumas are too wide for me.

11. artigiano

artigiano New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Believe the three stripe hype.

Adidas is the best line of boots IMHO. They are still producing and selling tens of thousands of units of boot designs that are hardly changed from their debut models twenty or thirty years ago.

The Predator seems poised to follow the long life trend set by the World Cup, Profi Liga, and Copa Mundial models.

All other companies have to come out with a new line of boots every year. Of course there are exceptions like the Diadora Brazil.

I love my Copa Mundials. And I would bet that Adidas is the boot of choice for top level players who do not have an endorsement contract.

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly what I meant.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i love mine as well...

if you watch matches on television from around the globe you will see a majority of players sporting adidas brand boots; never though much of it but just something i have noticed.

14. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    I think the best boot has to be the copa mundials....i've been getting copas for about 5 years now...i've tried other boots...like the predator precisions in blue....i had the plain copas for so long i figured i'd try somethin new and flashy...after about 5 games i went back to my copas...i didn't think they were as comfortable as the copas and they copas just felt better on my feet...

Once I read an article that said that players around the world love the copas so much that if they're team is sponsored by lets say nike....players would take the stripes off the copas and just put a nike symbol on it...i don't remember where i read it so i have no link....sorry

15. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I remember an article about that appearing in Eurosport a few years back. Could that be where you read it?

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to get the Mercurial's weight down, they basically just stripped it down to nothing. It's only like six ounces, but is worthless in terms of support. If you play on a nice even pitch like professionals do, it is OK. If you buy it becuase you have to have what the pros wear without reference to what makes sense, you'll buy Mersurials to impress everybody and end up wrecking your feet.

adidas makes better soccer boots than anybody else. It's just true. Unfortunately they are way deep invested in the Predator technology, but the weight those fins add just isn't worth it.

Puma Cellerators are nice. Diadora makes several nice models as well. My favorites were Lanzeras, but sadly they stopped making them a few years ago.

17. zizou9

zizou9 New Member

Sep 28, 2001
    Georgia
    just get the adidas supernova, they are exactly the same as the predator, just without the vamp. not that it is that much weight anymore. true, the older models did add alot of weight to the show, but in the newer models it is hardly recognizable.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    IIRC, Kappa bought out Lanzera and picked up Lanzera-sponsored players and teams.

Since Kappa didn't make footwear before they bought Lanzera, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just putting the Kappa logo on what used to be Lanzeras. But I could be wrong.

19. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    the best boot that I have worn would have to be the Nike Air Zoom Total 90 II's. They fit like a glove on my foot, they are light, have good traction, and a superb feel on the ball. I have used the copas, and predators, but both ripped because I have a wide foot(I guess those are made for a different foot from mine). I have the white ones....classy boots.......I hope they last so I can wear em a season or two

20. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    Yea that's the one...thanks

21. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Puma boots are the greatest, they fit the best for peeps with wider feet.

22. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Diadora. I once bought a pair because the brand I wore wasn't in stock. The Diadoras were so soft I didn't even have to break them in ...

23. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't answer from personal use -- because I don't play, but I can tell you what my son likes because I pay for them.

He likes the adidas in general and the Predator Mania in particular as the best feel on his feet. He wears a pair of adidas for practices.

He wears the Nike Mercurial Vapor in his matches because he loves how light they are and he says they give him the best feel of the ball. However, he did have to come up with an elaborate taping to keep them from blistering the back of his feet.

24. OLbloke90

OLbloke90 New Member

Aug 25, 2002
    Pot.
    i would have to say valsports but there to damn hard to find

25. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind New Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Virginia Beach
    My fav boot

For me, adidas Copas are the way to go. Soft 'roo leather, good heel support, timeless style. If playing on a really nice, deep pitch, I break out the adidas World Cup, which is the same boot, except for having screw-in cleats.