The best (and worst) soccer announcers

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Kryptonite, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a soccer announcer and I'm not a big fan of how ESPN uses people "across the board" but Rece Davis is a very competent studio host.

Related, but not really: I really don't understand how Eddie Olczyk is qualifed to commentate horse racing on NBC. He's a hockey guy with an interest in horse racing. But still, he's a hockey guy. What does NBC see in him? Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski are two other head-scratchers, but they stick to the fashion...at least that makes a little sense.

2. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I come here to look for people who share this exact thought!! He speaks in a tone that make everything he says sounds important when it is clearly not and just drones on and on. When he tries to be funny, he's the only one laughing at his own jokes. I feel bad for Jon Champions having to partner with this guy.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. H-TownTiger

H-TownTiger Member

Liverpool FC
    Jun 3, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This guy is the best I've ever heard. I used to hear him on the Argentinian game of the week on Fox Sports Americas and Futbol de Primera. Where is he now?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Doing nothing nowadays except occasionally popping in on Public TV and some podcasts.

H-TownTiger repped this.
  5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wait a sec. you are complaining about someone prattling on yet give Arlo a pass? He is the biggest offender out there.
    Taylor at least had played at high level and adds useful analysis. I rate anyone in general who has played over someone who hasn’t, but that is just me.
    I am amazed that Arlo catches so little flack so often, he never closes his mouth. But then I don’t automatically swoon over British accents like some guilt fall prey to.