The best 11 of Central America of all times.

Discussion in 'Central America' started by FenoFutbol, Apr 16, 2007.

1. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Maradona es el mejor de todos los tiempos! Que bueno fue cuando Costa Rica fue a su primer mundial agarrango gloria en la epoca cuando Argentina y Maradona eran los Campeones del Mundo.

2. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    costa rica the best team of central america, magico the best player in concacaf ;)

funny how ES lost to hungary or whatever and then only losin by 2 goals to argentina of maradona?

cry all day long. i dont see yet another magician comin out of concacaf. nery castillo may come close to.

if we talk now days yes i guess we can put honduras over ES. but if we talk of the best teams and players ever. ES is only behind CR, los catrachas can cry even more but when the real deal comes, they have only make it to 1 WC and thats reality.

argentina has won so many copa americas but brazil have won more wc and thats what it counts.

when los catrachos make their second world cups come back to talk about bein better than the salvatruchos.

im still waitin on the costa rican that is goin to dominate la liga like jorge did ;)

Ser Salvadoreno es un orgullo, Migueleno un privilegio pero ser Aguilucho un regalo de Dios :cool:

3. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I´ve seen the full matches of all 3 of El Salvador´s 1982 WC games. El Salvador played their usual attacking style against Hungary(which got them their goal) and shut up shop against both Belgium and Argentina(their defenders were particular brutal to Maradona) and they racked bup a ton of cards in both of their last two games.
    Historically, yes, I´d give it to ES, though it may change soon. El Salvador was a dominant CONCACAF power for along time and have been to 2 World Cups(though I´d have to check theri club records and put them against Honduras´. Their players were also better until very recently.

4. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Historicamente los mejores equipos en Centro America

Los cinco mejores:

1-Saprissa (Costa Rica)
    *Tricampeon de Norte America (1993, 1995, 2005)
    *Pentacampeon de Centro America (1972, 1973, 1978, 1998, 2003)

2-Olimpia (Honduras)
    *Bicampeon de Norte America (1972, 1988)
    *Tetracampeon de Centro America (1980, 1981, 1999, 2000)

3-Alajuela (Costa Rica)
    *Bicampeon de Norte America (1986, 2004)
    *Tricampeon de Centro America (1996, 2002, 2005)

4-Municipal (Guatemala)
    *Campeon de Norte America (1974)
    *Tetracampeon de Centro America (1974, 1977, 2001, 2004)

5-Alianza (El Salvador)
    *Campeon de Norte America (1967)
    *Campeon de Centro America (1997)

Honorable mentions for achievements:

Club Deportivo FAS (El Salvador)
    C.D. Águila (El Salvador)
    Comunicaciones (Guatemala)
    Aurora (Guatemala)
    Real España (Honduras)
    Cartago (Costa Rica)
    Puntarenas (Costa Rica)

5. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've also seen all of El Salvador's world cup games, and saying we picked up a ton of cards is somewhat of an exageration. Two yellows v Belguim and three v Argentina is hardly a ton. It also has to be said that only one of those three against Argentina was as a result of a tackle on Maradona. The first was for complaining with the ref over a penalty decision and the other was given late after a tackle, when the ref saw that the Argentinian player was bleeding as a result.

I might be willing to agree that against Belguim we did play a bit more defensively, by taking out a midfielder and adding an extra defender. But that has to be expected on the back of a 10-1 defeat. In the game against Argentina, we played the same formation and style as we did against Hungary (4-3-3).

I'd also say that saying the Salvadoran players where "brutal" to Maradona is not right. I mean, yes they did tackle him hard and tried everything to stop him, but is that not expected when you play the best in the world?? If your playing an international game v Ronaldinho, C.Ronaldo or Messi you'd be stupid not to mark those players extra tight, and give them a couple of hard tackles ever now and then. That's just football.

6. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Where can i see the games!?!!?

7. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    This right here says it all. You have to remember that in the early 80s violence was a normal part of the game(the 1982 WC was the most violent ever), and refs didn´t call anything unless the player was half dead(sometimes not even when they were half dead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byTNRoxujo
    This was the most brutal foul ever committed, by German goalkeeper Schumacher against Battiston in the 1982 semi-final, knocking him unconsious after obviously no attemp to go for the ball. He showed absolutely no remorse, was not even yellow-carded, and no penalty ws given. Earlier in the game Shumacher had grabbed a French player by his shirt for accidentally bumping into him.

Maradona was also brutalized the entire tournament; El Salvador was benign compared to the way the the Belgians
    [​IMG]
    and especially the Italians(Claudio Gentile set a world record for the amount of fouls on one player in one game against Maradona and only got a red card)
    [​IMG]
    treated him. He eventually got tired of it and retaliated by cleating a Brazilian player in the balls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRAbWPCRN-E minute 8:30
    and got a red card(nowadays you would probably get banned for months for that.

Of course the most violent part of that World Cup were the English hooligans
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/GUESTS/matt20020426.html
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/GUESTS/matt20020504.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_EHpsTQio
    all things that most likely would never happen at a World Cup game today, just a violent tournament.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yo creo que en la actualidad no hay mayor discusion sobre quien es mejor entre Honduras y El Salvador. La respuesta es mas que evidente.

Ahora bien, si entramos en historia, ES ha tenido una presentacion mas en Mundiales que Honduras. Sin embargo, la historia en el futbol actual cuenta por poco y nada. Si fuera todo en base a la historia, Uruguay estaria entre los mejores equipos del mundo, y esa no es la realidad.

En el fondo...la historia hay que respetarla pero la actualidad es la realidad y que hay que vivirla al igual que asurmila.

:)

Metro

9. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Bien dicho.

10. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa

it will be cool if u do a top10.

there was not uncaf before (from what i heard) so to be able to participate in the ccc championship u had to win central america.

Aguila and Fas won central america and then concancaf so they have to be on top of alianza! fas comes 5th and Aguila6th then comes alianza.

There is another Salvadoran club that won ccc, i think their name was "Quequeisque" or something like that, i dont think they exist anymore.

Another cool thing is that 4 salvadoreans clubs (i think) have won concacaf, and 3 of our clubs are in the top10 of all times while there is only 1 chapin, 2 ticos and 1 catracho :cool:

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    :eek:The Central and Caribbean Confederation Championship, or CCCF, was a tournament held for NATIONAL teams from these regions between 1941-1961 before it merged with the North American Football Confederation to create CONCACAF. In the 10 tournaments held for the CCCF, 7 of those were won by Costa Rica (1941, 1946, 1948, 1953, 1955, 1960, and 1961) with El Salvador, Panama, and Haiti winning it once each (1943, 1951, and 1957 respectively). The first club tournament for Central America was the current Copa Interclubes UNCAF. Its been around since 1971 and it has had pauses where it would not held. It ran from 1971-1983 and from 1996-present.

The difference between Alianza and Aguila/FAS is that Alianza is the only team from El Salvador to win both the CONCACAF Champions Cup and Copa Interclubes UNCAF. Aguila and FAS has only won 1 CONCACAF Champions Cup title each (1976 and 1979 respectively). They both, however, have never even reached the final of the Copa Interclubes UNCAF.

I tried to do a top 10 but there is only 5 teams in Central America that have really distinguished themselves internationally. The others are about the same.

The old Salvadoran team you are talking about us Platense. Their only international title came when they won the Copa Interclubes UNCAF in 1975. Along with Alianza, they are the only teams from El Salvador to win the Copa Interclubes Cup. Quequeisque, when it used to be around, won 6 national titles (from 1940-41 to 1945-46 consecutively). However, at the time, there was no regional Central American championships.

For Costa Rica, Saprissa and Alajuela are the only ones to win both the CONCACAF Champions Cup (with 5 titles in between them) and the Copa Interclubes Cup (with 8 titles in between them). The other Costa Rican clubs to win anything has been Cartago who has won the CONCACAF Champions Cup once (1994) and Puntarenas who is the current Central American Champion with its only title in 2006.:)

Overall, in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, El Salvador is in second place after Costa Rica. In the Copa Interclubes UNCAF, second place belongs to Guatemala.

12. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa

haha idk where u get the info but is great talkin to u man. Platense is remembered by many Salvadorenos bc they went from winnin 2nd division, then winnin 1st division, then winnin central america. accordin to salvadorans that team was absolutely excelent... it was like watchin mohamed ali on his prime!

the other quequeisques team hazana was winnin first division 6 years consecutive... so i got confused with both.

CR dominates in clubs too, in nationals. ES is second accordin to ur numbers. hahaha where are the chapines and catrachos now?

when i was a kid we used to dominate CR in nationals but that have changed with the time. we will go back to our glory days though, we will!

:cool:

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    If you have any more questions, be free to ask.:D

14. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Serious question, what does that mean:confused:I keep seeing it.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    "I Don't Know".

Metro