The Berners start a PAC: 2018 midterms are the target

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Matrim55, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    lol ... I thought we were supposed to hate PACs?

I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't start primarying other Democrats. We've seen how that worked out in the GOP with Boehner getting cock blocked at every turn. Not that I actually think a progressive caucus would ever lend itself to such destructive habits, but it's important to steer clear of too much infighting. The goal should be to enhance the Democratic platform, not to undermine it.

In reality there already is a Congressional Progressive Caucus which was co founded by Bernie Sanders and is now co chaired by two Sanders supporters (Keith Ellison - Minneapolis and Raul Grijalva - Tucson). My personal opinion of them is that they've allowed themselves to get watered down a little. Maybe the caucus is too big and broad for it to be on the cutting edge of progressivism. A quick glance at the list of members and at most only 20 or so are actually Bernie Sanders type progressives. Mark Pocan, Alan Grayson, Peter De Fazio among others ...

Mattbro repped this.
  3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between a PAC and a SuperPAC.

A lot of democrats deserve to be primaried.

Maybe you should let them know...

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And so The Green Tea Party begins ...
    Stealing a page from Grover Norquist, I see.

Depending on how they write that, and how comprehensive this platform is, they could have a very, very hard time getting viable candidates to sign on.

These guys could do a lot of good -- provided they're willing to settle for 80%. If they demand purity on a comprehensive platform, this will go nowhere.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? it has worked out well for the tea party.

I actually think it is a great idea and it will help him pull the party to the left (I personally do not like that, but I understand that many people want that).

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably took Nordquist a while to get his pledge to be as powerful as it is.

Yes for governing it would suck to have parties tied to opposing type pledges, but I understand why the protectionist left would want some type of progressive (may not be the right term) pledge like the Norquist one.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God. Great news.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    crazypete13 repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice could you send some of your wealth my way? I want to buy a new car.

11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You have to have it to re-distribute it. I'll be expecting a cashiers check from you momentarily.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't see how that comment follows from the article linked.

13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Despite their intentions (the founders of the PAC) it is more likely the the well off will be doing much of the giving to the PAC thus the redistribution.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ok ... I guess that's a bit of a backhanded dig at their efforts.

--

In any case, I don't think they'll be getting much money or recruiting many candidates. I doubt this outfit will last long at all.

The reason progressives don't succeed politically as much as they might isn't for a lack of progressive candidates on the ballot (as these guys seem to think). They don't succeed because there aren't enough progressives voting, especially during mid-term elections. If more progressives voted, you'd have more progressives running.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Confirming my worst fears. That's why I didn't want to even click on this thread. We don't need two tea parties. If progressives want to change things, the easiest way to go about it is to elect more democrats so they will control congress, not to make the democratic minority more extreme.

On the other hand, should they succeed, it might force the adults in each party to form a more centrist coalition to actually run the country while the nut jobs make angry speeches to an empty chamber late at night on C-span.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This is funny because it reminds me of how Chris Matthews goes apeshit whenever one of his guests doesn't say "Dick Cheeney" but then himself routinely mispronounces Grover Norquist's name. :-D