The Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Eddie26, May 4, 2008.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well drink Southpaw.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Good stuff this...spending my time between upstate NY and Souther Maine gives me lots of choices. Give Saranac a try if you are in the area.

Now if only I could get my wife stop with those damn Smirnoff Ice drinks!:mad:

3. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    This is where you seperate the men from the boys!

A pint of Guiness!

4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love that this brewery is 45 minutes door to door (my growler needs refilling too).

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am off tomorrow for a long Labor Day weekend. That means THURSDAY NIGHT GROWLER from East End Brewery, 1 mile from my door! Big Hop IPA for me please kind sir!

www.eastendbrewery.com

6. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
  7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am actually thinking of getting one of those self-making beer kits so I can brew my own. Has anyone ever toyed with this? If so - advice is very welcome. Thanks!

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I got one for Christmas once and tried it. I failed miserably. It was called Mr Beer. The trick I found out later is that EVERYTHING that touches the sweet nectar in the brewing process has to be super sterilized or else the bacteria interferes with the brewing and fermentation. In the end my "beer" tasted like piss. I decided to name it PBR.

9. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
  10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm, I am rather impatient and I also heard that it is a loooong process if you want tyo do it right. Man, I still have to give it a try. One of those things in life, you know? Some people gotta climb Everest, I gotta say I have made beer.

My house always has the following;
    12 yrd Johnny Black
    Any good vodka
    Capt Morgans
    Kalua
    Vermouth

Bottle of olives

oh, and beer - the good stuff!

11. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Johhny Walker Black is a good blended Scotch. Not in the same class as the Single Malt Whiskys, such as Macallan, Glenlivet, Laphroaig, Highland Park, Lagavulin etc.

When I drink a beer, Heiniken is my choice.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I know...but I could not afford to buy that all the time - actually I could, but my wife would have a fit!

That said, I do have a bottle of Johnny Blue that I keep for those "special moments". Smooooooth stuff! :)

I like Heineken and it is very easy to find no matter what corner of the globe you are at. I have to take Beck's over Heineken simply because it's from my dad's home town (and yes, I do actually like the taste very much) of Bremen - LOL Pizarro.

However, you will normally find some kind of beer from a New England or Up-state NY Micro-brewery instead. I like Sam Adam's a lot, too.

13. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    I grant you the Single Malt Scotchs are usually more expensive than the blended types as much more goes into the processing. That's the reason they are superior.

I have tried Beck's beer which is very good but Heiniken is my preference. Not familiar with Sam Adams beer.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yup...

When I lived in Houston I was at U of H - hence, the beer I drank was usually cheap-ass piss shit!!

You can find Samuel Adams, originally from Boston, all over the east and west coast (I lived in LA for 6 months not to long ago...) so I am pretty sure it has found its way to the South-central part of the US - so when you get a chance, try it. It's pretty damn good for domestic beer.

15. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    One of the lads in our Chelsea group teaches at U of H. It's a small world.

I am not a fan of the domestic beers but I'll give Sam Adams a try when I get the opportunity.

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Out of interest which domestic beers have you tried? If it's the macro-brewery stuff I'd generally agree about their quality but the US has many fine craft brewers who make world class beer for any palatte (just not for any wallet :))

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I love Sam Adams.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, there are some really good domestic beers in the US that hail from the micro breweries. That is how Sam Adams got started and becasue there were enough people to say, "This shit sucks!" when drinking Bud or Miller, these Micro Breweries are finding business outside of their region due to good name recognition and therefore; demand.

19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sam Adams do some good brews (and is usually what I will choose in a bar with other choices of the Lite filth and the like).

Even if they don't have the first clue what a Lambic is, they do make a good pint.

By macro's I really mean the Bud's and Miller's of the world (and God help us even C**rs) - if I see anyone order those in the Yardhouse I weep for their children.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Do any of you drink Russian or Ukrainian beer? There are some really good ones.

21. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    I am not a big beer drinker. But I have tried many domestic beers. I guess it's a matter of taste but my preference in beer is Heiniken.

I'm told Sam Adams is a good domestic beer which I must try when I get the opportunity.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fuck, I know what you mean...Makes me wanna slap them when I am at bar, airport lounge where it is actually free for FFS, or even a super market and they are infront of me in line.

23. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Cool it, lad! Take a shot of a Single Malt Scotch and don't add ice.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol...in about 1/2 hour more!!

Still have the Gladbach - Stuttgart game on my DVR I need to watch!! ;) sounds like a great combo!

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No but if you have any suggestions - I'm all ears! I probably will have a hard time finding it here though (Maine).