The Battle for Control of US Soccer

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Andy_B, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting snippet from the latest Soccer America

Bob Contigula was asked if he was going to be running unopposed for a second term of office and he responded "yes, he believes he will be running alone"

Later in the same issue, Soccer America reported that they are starting to get wind of a new candidate to run against Bob.......

None other than Big Al himself!!!

Can you say "Al is smelling a bid for the 2010 World Cup"?

Andy

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw somewhere but can't remember and am headed out the door, but Al has declined to run. I think I saw it on NAS as being reported somewhere in a newspaper.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al also declined to run back in 1990, all the way up until 1 week before it was time.

He may be employing the strategy again.

If the US is serious about going after the WC2010 bid, then they could do worse than elect the man who oversaw the most successul Olympics Soccer tournament and WC ever.

Andy

4. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    well.

my initial reaction(s)-

i would really like to have world cup 2010 here. why? many a reasons but most importantly i think that would push along soccer specific stadiums and expansion.

but then again, none of the world cup matches would probably be played in these SSS b/c they would be too small.

anyways, bottom line is having the world cup here in 2010 would be nothing but beneficial to MLS.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll probably get shot for saying this, but....

You think they'd consider a split-season for MLS in 2010 if the US hosted the Cup?

You'd have to not play during that timeframe (mid-June to mid-July), but it'd be strange to just have a month disappear out of the heart of your season. A split-season, while it would obviously draw the ire of most traditionalists (but what doesn't?) might be at least one workable solution to what's sure to be a sticky wicket.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is exactly what would happen should a WC occur on our shores during an MLS season.

Assuming that a good number of MLS cities would also be home to WC games, I think it would be a solid idea.

Andy

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too read that Big Al had decided not to run. But I don't know if this was official.

But aside from that, besides the 1994 WC, how was the rest of Big Al's reign? I'm all for getting the 2010 or 2014 WC, but I want the head of the USSF to be "quality" in other aspects as well, not solely focusing on a WC.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can get us the WC 2010 - I would vote for him.

MLS would have to go to a split season. The non-nats on the MLS teams would get plenty of work playing warm up games for the various national teams - so they would not get as rusty as they might normally.

9. WorldSoccerWeekly

WorldSoccerWeekly New Member

May 14, 2002
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Sorry to bring bad news....

But as you know, the 2006 WC will be in Germany.
    The 2010 World Cup has already been promised to an African nation (most probably South Africa). Starting 2006, FIFA is going to a continental rotation system for the Cup meaning that it will rotate all the confederation continents.

Therefore, the next WC that the US has a chance for is 2014.

Hopefully the MLS will be more than well established by then.

Nick Geber
    Host
    World Soccer Weekly
    KMPC 1450 LA
    Sporting News Radio

www.worldsoccerweekly.com

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than a few people in the know feel that the South African bid is going to be a disastor and will open up a spot for a US bid.

I firmly believe this will NEVER occur, because there are simply so few countries than can handle a 32 team WC.

As has been stated before, when ever the US presents a serious bid, they will most likely get the cup.

Andy

11. WorldSoccerWeekly

WorldSoccerWeekly New Member

May 14, 2002
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Must Disagree

Andy,

There was real trauma when Germany got the 2006 bid.

For alot of political reasons within FIFA, 2010 will be in Africa.

But I suppose we'll have to wait a while find out for sure.

I'd love to see another WC here but it's going to take a while.

Nick

12. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
  13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I am thinking as well.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Alan Rothenberg.

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That clears that up. Thanks, Buff.

16. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Must Disagree

The way I see it, the US needs to make a bid for 2010. They will lose it, but they will know this in advance. When the next cycle comes around for 2014 they will be the favorites.

17. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

One problem: there's no place to hold it.

Morocco was found wanting in the last bid process and there's no evidence that they're willing to build the necessary stadia (or hotel rooms, for that matter).

South Africa's AIDS rate threatens that country's population to such a degree that there are real economic concerns with whether or not they will have a work force, much less the resources to put together a credible WC bid. (and, again, their stadia and accomodations are lacking).

After those two, there's just not much left. No central African country can host. Nigeria goes through a coup once every few years and if the price of oil drops will be in the sh!tter again.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    For those of you still wondering about Al... The MLS Cup trophy is the "Alan I. Rothenberg" trophy.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Andy_B. The US staged what (I believe) is still referred to as "the most successful World Cup ever" and there is a ton of money to be made for everybody if the US puts together a solid bid for 2010 or 2014.

If they were to turn their back on the US without a real good reason if USSF made a serious bid for 2010, people might start to think FIFA was corrupt or something......

DOH!!!!!

20. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    What realistically are our odds for 2010? Africa, while no doubt presenting massive logisitical challenges, was snubbed for 2006. They'll have real muscle behind their bid for 2010. And have we not already publicly said we'd be looking to 2014? Just curious what people think. Seems to me 2010 would be great for MLS, but that 2014 would be a much, much easier sell in the soccer politico world.

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: I'll probably get shot for saying this, but....

Nah, they'll probably schedule as many matches as possible with WC matches to boost attendance figures. :p

22. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    A couple of things.

1) if and when we get another WC MLS will have to play a split season. There is no possible way they would be able to play, unless they have a MLS/WC double header every game? that would be cool.
    2) traditionalists would be upset with that? Don't most of the European leagues take a 3-4 week break over Christmass and New Year's?
    3) who ever said that common sense enters into any of FIFA's decisions? Africa will get the next bid because Sepp will want to score points or pay back favors.
    4) but after the South Africa situation starts imploding and everyone realizes that the games will end up being played on dirt parking lots they will move the Cup to the US.

23. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

South Africa's one chance was 2006.

There is no African country that can host a world cup. There won't be for some time. There's probably only 4 or 5 countries in Europe that can host it, maybe 2-3 in Concacaf (Canada might be able to if the political will were behind it), perhaps 2 in CONMEBOL. I don't think we'll see one in Asia again for some time.

I will be surprised if we don't get 2010 or 2014. The World Cup has simply become too big an event for the vast majority of countries to host.

24. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth Soccer Sycophant

"Doctor Bob" is a creature of the Youth Soccer power base that has dominated US Soccer for some time now, working to ensure that youth, and youth only (i.e., not professional endeavours sanctioned by USSF, like MLS) get any $$$...trust me, the Youth Soccer leadership at a national and regional level are a nasty bunch who believe that everything US Soccer does ought revolve around them, and fail to see the integrative nature that successful national programs MUST have...

With that as background, know that I've been in Dr. Bob's presence when he's said two things that tell you all you need to know about him...

"The only elections worth fighting are always fought dirty," referring to his own political behavior.

"So this, uh, FC Golden Cup is played every two years?," referring to his own absolute ignorance regarding the larger, international aspects of the game.

The man is a slavering beast of a leader, put in place by the Youth Soccer movement, and needs to go, precisely because he can provide no vision; however, back to Rothenberg is not what's needed either, as all he really cares about, in the end, is Chuck Blazer's seat on the FIFA Exco, and not - any longer - what happens at "lower halls of power" like USSF...

When a leader steps forward to provide a vision that draws upon, respects, and supports all the tributaries of American soccer (and formulates a plan that helps gets SSS built, which helps all of US soccer, not just MLS), then I will be glad to support her or him. But until that mystical, magical, majestic day, I simply hope that Dr. Bob or Alan don't ************ it up too bad...

25. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Re: Re: Must Disagree

just a philosophical thought I guess, but is this a good thing that only the highly developed countries can now host the World Cup?