The Barra needs a gut check

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Victory, Nov 6, 2006.

1. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    there was a 50 foot banner behind south goal that said "Barra Brava, loyal to Nowak." Prolly easier to see from DC bench then thread on DC BigSoccer board ;)

2. GWAIHIR

GWAIHIR New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Under Your Skin
    I definitely appreciate EVERYONE's intenisty and passion on this subject.
    I think it's good to air things out and communicate about how to make the Barra a better and stronger organization.
    From day one, game one of my being in the BB, I have done nothing but scream, chant, cheer and wave any flag given to me, and I will continue to do so as well as try to motivate anyone else. I kept turning around to those behind me, trying to help them learn the words to chants and trying to pump up anyone I saw not singing. Whether or not we scored a goal the passion for United and Soccer in general should still be there. If we don't score, the players already have a hard enough time dealing with it, we as BB need to be their morale boost in those times.
    We have to cheer no matter if we're pissed, sad, depressed, etc.
    We ARE THE 12TH MAN/WOMAN, we are the team's support. I'm not saying that a goal wouldn't have lifted everyone's spirit, but no woman no cry, no goal, no cry either.
    With all this said, everyone does have differeing perspectivesa dn we do not know everyone's health status so we have to be understanding when some people cannot jump or bounce. Of course we need those people to tell us, (the elders and other members) so that we can respect whatever ailments htey have and make their BB experience as passionate as those of us in better "shape". I also feel that intimidation may be to blame. Most of our chants are easy once you know them, but some people may not know the words may not want to sing them incorrectly, thus they don't sing at all. I am not defending the silent ones, just giving a perspective to their illogic?

We have to spread the message of not just tailgating and having fun drinking and eating, but to be passionate and to be vocal during the game for the FULL game. We have to encourage the shy and the uncertain to help us and help DCU by being loud and jumping and all of the other things that we do in the BB sections(and SE for that matter). The more people there are the harder it is to unify and organize them.

I know I am a rookie, I hope I have not offended or perturbed anyone with this post. If I can help by teaching newbies words to chants and getting them involved in the ways of BB, let me know.

3. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    That's awesome!! :)

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dont really have much to say except for near the top of 136, the Brazillian drummers threw everything off, and then, when we managed to hear chants to try and sing along, one section or another was horribly mistimed so it was impossible to join in a constructive fashion.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only a neophyte drummer and I don't make every game, so I'm a junior partner in drumming at best, but FWIW I have to concur--it ain't easy holding one of those things for two hours straight, let alone trying to play when you're crammed into tight space. Drummers need elbow room--that's just the way it is. The regulars who stay in 135/136 during halftime could make life easier if a friendly word or two was passed along to any newbies setting up camp in the drummers' usual spot while they/we are off doing drum circle.

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've done that in the past - I don't go out for the drum circle on the concourse at the half, and I'm usually in front of you guys.

If I see peeps camping out in drummers spots, I've had no problem telling them politely to scoot over a bit for you guys.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another reason why you are awesome.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drummers--speak up next time! I had no idea! I was focused on the game and it never crossed my mind when you all packed in around me. I tried to stand on my seat to make room for one of you in front of me, but if my being there was in anyone's way, just say somethin, it's the Barra ffs, I'll move. :p

Stuff like that may seem obvious, but to a rookie, it ain't!

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    PS just checked my gut, its a lot smaller than it used to be, but still there. whew! :p

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky you. Mine's not budging.

11. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Ummmmm...if I go on for four hours, should I see my doctor?

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just snorted coffee through my nose.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EdTheRed again.

14. vasco_de_gama110

Aug 18, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    No worries....he's repped. Way too funny of a line not to.

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    luckily we won't have to deal with Brazilians until DC makes it into playoffs again :D

Samba bands off to quiet side :p

16. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of, what was with the Brazil flag being waved on the other side of the SE sections? Totally random.

17. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Isn't a Brazilian flag/jersey now recognized as the universal symbol for "I'm a bandwagon jumper"?

18. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the jersey is, but I'd never seen a flag before outside of an actual Brazil match. Is that some kinda super-hardcore bandwagon jumper?

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That or an Italian NT jersey. ;)

20. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. I think that's just asking for a beatdown. But I might be biased after taking a three day trip to Germany just for US vs. Italy.

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Which is so sad. I've watched/enjoyed/supported the Brazil national team since '66. It was the first (non-kids) team I saw. I thought all soccer was like that.

I have since seen NYRB.

22. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    In their defense, I think they are actually Brazilian.

23. wcevery4yrs

wcevery4yrs New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Baltimore
    OK, I'm calmer today. Still feisty as hell, but it's in my blood. I just got uppity for the sake of a lot of people, not just me. And I hate to see people, any people, who really have their hearts and souls as part of the game, get criticized. If you're a member of the Barra, and you mean well, then that's what matters to me. I appreciate everyone who does something. I appreciate that Matt keeps coming over to me with a plate of meat even though I've not eaten meat for 20 years now. I appreciate that people bring drums, cowbells, and whatever else. Andy was pounding it out during the first half something serious when he was a row or so behind me, and I was thrilled and energized to have him rat-a-tat-tat like nobody's business. I appreciate everyone who does something, because they're showing up, and not being Gretchen, asking where she can watch the game in a bar. Sports exist to bring people together, to give them a sense of community, and that's what I felt Jay wasn't doing yesterday--celebrating our sense of community. I don't go to baseball, football, whatever else--it's all about DC United. I don't even know who won the World Series, and I don't care. I do care, however, about the people I meet, and I care about the players, as people, because they're people, not just soccer players. Seeing Bobby Boswell pull off his playing shoes and give his sock to a little girl, who clutched it like she'd just been given a free lifetime pass to DisneyWorld by none other than Mickey Mouse, is what means more to me than watching him be a good defender. There are lots of good defenders out there, but it was seeing him be a kind person that made the pain in my legs and back worth it. I am still too damn stiff to even exercise today, and I'm about ready to start dropping Advils. I do not mind. I stopped watching and giving a rat's ass about baseball because the players are, by and large, jerks with big egos, and the same goes for other sports, although I wasn't ever into them years ago as I was baseball. I don't respect them--they will not get my support. I'll be back, though, for more leg and back pain, and it will be worth it--I'll freeze my ass off in February if need be for the Concacaf match. And I will be happy to do so. Just remember that we make the team as much as they make us. There is room for improvement, but there was so damn much absolutely right with Sunday's game, that I cannot for the life of me understand why there had to be so much carping. My thanks to everyone who screamed, yelled, clapped, cursed, played, sang, waved a flag or a combination of all of them. You have my respect. I consider this subject closed in my mind--I appreciate all comments posted.
    Thanks everyone, for a wonderful game.

-Patricia

24. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riz, tell me sumpin': why are all eye-ties in calcio named TIM?

GM

25. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That moment pulled me out of the funk I was in after the final whistle and I left the stadium smiling because of it.