The Barra needs a gut check

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Victory, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    All of the members of the Barra Brava need a gut check. Our performance last night bordered on pathetic. The most important home game of the year and people stood still, even sat down in some case, did not sing, did not chant, did not jump, and even smirked at those of us who were doing what the Barra is supposed to do.

Chanting and singing for 90 minutes is not a requirement to be a passionate supporter of the club or even a member of the Barra but it is a requirement to stand in sections 135 and 136 of Barra.

Going to a DC United game is not about; the tailgate; witty banter; funny banners, beer, food, scoping out the women, or yelling curse words in public. It is about supporting the team in the most vocal and visual manner possible for 90 minutes.

As the tailgates have grown more and more legendary the Barra has lost focus and has attracted to many drunks, underage punks and people who think we are there for their entertainment.

Everyone enjoys the tailgates, the food, the beer and the bottles. The have helped with recruitment and brought a sense of community to the Barra but they are not the reason the Barra exists.

Is the Barra a social club or a supporters club?

The number of newbies is not an excuse. The Barra is not for everyone and that is fine but each member should tell newbies what is expected from them. Most of the songs are very very simple and even a red bull donkey could learn the words in a matter of seconds.

Shame on the girls who spent the 1st 5 minutes of the second half sitting in their sits right behind the drummers.

Shame on the regulars who in the 82nd minute down a goal started chanting for the beer man.

Shame on everybody who jumps and sings in the drum circle at half time but did not jump and sing during the game.

Shame on the people who danced out of the stadium laughing and carrying on like we had just won the game.

Shame on everybody who did not bring it for 90 minutes.

Shame on everybody who stopped bringing it or did not bring as hard just because we were down an early goal. When we are down a goal we need to be louder not quieter.

We saw signs last night of what the Barra is supposed to be about:

The effort of Srdan, Big Rob, Oscar, the Captain, the drummers, Spider and other chant leaders was commendable.

The flags and other visuals at times were fantastic.

The number of people who stayed after the final whistle and showed their support for our team was fantastic.

BUT sometimes, part of the time, half of the time is not good enough. 90 minutes, plus injury time, overtime, penalty kicks and trophy presentations is what the Barra should be bringing to the game without exception.

2. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Jay, games like yesterday's suck for singing. I was super-pissed at the performance of 134 yesterday. If you have all three of: newbies, an early and long-lasting deficit, and nervousness over a big game, you end up with a bad vocal performance. Its happened before - MLS Cup '98 was the worst example.

Newbies who don't know who you or me or Srdan are aren't going to give a crap when we yell at them to sing. It isn't an excuse, just a point that this has happened before and we probably need to think of ways to prevent it from happening again. Whether it takes messing with who stands where or something else, I don't ever want us to have such a crap performance in an important game again.

I said in another thread that if it weren't for the drumming and flags in the Barra yesterday, the totality of our performance as fans would have been embarrassing.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Was it like that last night? I was clear across the field in Sec. 203 keeping tabs on my sons' U-9 team (I'm happy to report--these little guys mostly actually watched the game; even commenting on bad plays, good plays, etc.--the future of our sport and our league looks bright if there are more kids like my son's teammates out there) and it SEEMED like the Barra wasn't in full throttle; but I've been standing in Sec. 135 (and, for most of this season, drumming) since the end of the 2004 season, so I wasn't sure if it was "just me."

I have noticed some young people lately who don't seem down with the whole concept of standing and cheering. And I'm sorry--the peanut throwing isn't adding to the atmosphere, it's just stupid.

Those of us who KNOW what we're there for know we need to set the example (I'm sorry I coudn't be there last night to do my small part). We need to walk the walk; but as was pointed out above, it doesn't hurt to talk the talk, either--let people know what the deal is when they're new!

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread won't work for the DC fans who don't read BigSoccer.

That is the vast majority.

5. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said in the other thread, it seemed that too many people came to our sections just to be part of the brava experience but not contribute to him. I screamed myself horse during the course of the game but couldn't get a consistent following from those around me.

These were the same people, however, who started the chant for the beer man ironically.

I know this is only my second year within barra and I don't want to over step my limits, but we need to find a way to push the non members (or more specifically the ones who don't jump and sing) to the sides or behind us.

6. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    So that means we do not discuss the issue?

And there were regular members who ar eon the boards who were absent last night.

7. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    If I may...

Shame to the c@cksmoker in front of me who told me there was 'no point in singing' when I was comically hoarse by the 30th minute. I'm guessing he doesn't get it?

I've only been to about 15 or so matches in the Barra, and on one road trip, and yeah, I'm a complete rookie, but I've been a season ticketholder for years, and was pretty damn surprised at how quiet it got in sec. 136 last night.

Especially since I was near the front.

Maybe some of these folks just want to be on TV? There seemed to be a bit of a 'we'll be singing when we're winning' mentality to some i saw around me, and we werent winning, so...

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just pointing out that the people you're addressing will never read this thread.

9. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shame on me for being away at a work conference. :(

I try to get things going, loudly, as best I can - and I have no shame in doing so.

I'm just personally disappointed that I couldn't be there to help in any way.

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    hey, I know you guys have high standards and expectations, but I gotta say, the atmosphere looked pretty spectacular yesterday, from here. Other teams would be thrilled with half the passion and support - the announcers even said that this was the best fanbase in the league...

...sorry about your loss.

11. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your support from the conference was louder and more worthwhile than a large portion of the fans that were sitting in our sections.

12. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    I am not going to call names but some of them are on this thread. People on the thread also bring friends and newbies. It is also something for the members and elders can discuss and address to implement changes if that is the consenus.

13. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Call out names, we're all adults and friends here and constructive criticism is never a bad thing.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised by that.

If there are BB members here that didn't bring it the full 90, call them out.

15. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    jay very well put.
    theres nothing more that i could add to that but i agree on every point you made. its great to see the barra expanded, but we want it to still be rowdy and crazy and people leaving it all on the field for all 90 minutes!

btw heres a good example. last ight these 3 people came into the barra where me and jay always stand and started giving me shit since they wanted there seats since it says that on there ticket.....unacceptable.....barra is GA!

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They must've been newbies.

17. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm assuming you told them exactly where they could go after that exchange.

18. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    The volume of our singing was a bit lacking, I noticed this too.
    The game certainly didn't help our cause.
    Lots of people standing there staring off at space.
    United was off its game further than our sections were.

Put this one down as a could have been better night.

We could have more pressing problems Jay.
    Ponder the positives too amigo.

1. Lots of new supporters
    2. Our evolution is continuing as a supporters club
    3. It was a fun year despite the ending
    4. Media and others are seeing that Barra Brava sets the standard
    5. Our stands are packed (think about how much fun it would being a voice in the vast wilderness like NY and most of the other teams in the league).
    6.We're going to start fixing up the website
    7. We're trying to put together a end-of-year event.
    8. We all like each other for the most part
    9. We have great leadership, ideas and the ability to get things done
    10. No more pissing around with CSC= more creativity.
    11. Next year we'll all have fun in Columbus again.

Go fishing, find a hobby, go surfing, give the liver a break, hug your families,hug your dog, have some sex and forget about MLS for for few months.

End of the season is always sad.

And one for the confessional.
    Me: Forgive me Father... I too threw a few peanuts. I even threw one at
    gocaps.
    Priest: Stay off BigSoccer for a couple days. Avoid whining, bitching, back-bitting, griping and all the other post-season discussions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    No doubt there are a lot of positives to take from this year, but Ithink some reflection before putting the season behind us is in order though.

It really will be an off season. The National team will not be playing any games until at least Feb.

I am totally down with fishing trip.

20. barrabrava12

barrabrava12 100% Barra Brava

Oct 26, 2004
    FOR NEXT YEAR.
    you don't JUMP you will not get a ticket in Barra Brava.
    That will be the rule #1
    What's so F****** HARD about jumping.

21. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it's difficult for a newbie to sing along to our chants when the Brazilians are playing a completely different tune directly behind 136. I was right in front of them and tried on several occasions to turn around and give them a cue of what we were doing, but that only lasted a few moments at a time. Someone after the game gave me a compliment for at least trying to get them in line. Their tailgate was right near us on the grassy part next to the men's room aka anacostia river. Maybe next year an elder could go talk to them and let them know what the deal is if they're gonna drum near us. Don't get me wrong, I love their spirit and awesome drumming, but its gotta be on the same wavelength to what our drummers and singers are doing. I'll admit I was one of the ones who didnt sing the entire time, mainly cause I COULDNT! It was nearly impossible to get into it when those dudes were drumming right behind me, and imagine how hard it would be for a newbie or rookie to get into it if even I couldnt. Thats it, during the offseason I'm pesonally making the BARRA BRAVA official cd in my studio, make 500 copies and give them away at a tailgate. I'll do the recording for free, and Barra pays for the duplication, it'll be like 50 cents each. thats it, end rant

Pedro

22. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    it's hard to jump when your gut is full of beer :)

23. human2006

human2006 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    It's not just hard for newbies. As I posted in the other thread, we in the SE sections had a similar problem. There were some people with drums over in 132 and they tried to follow along with you guys, but they kept getting off by several beats, and then everyone in 133 would get confused and stop singing. That is a big reason why it wasn't as strong, overall, as last week.

24. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Srdan looks like you'll need to use your bullhorn.

Maybe next year we can walk around with cattle prods, zap zap... jump. :eek:

25. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    I saw some chicks before the game who were walking into the barra section checking their tickets for the correct seats. :D