The Balkan 23

Discussion in 'Serbia & Montenegro' started by marakana11, Jan 12, 2009.

1. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Here is another one of those interesting threads about the past. I really don't want to spark any true flames between the nations, I'm just curious to see at how the football talent in these nations is coming along after the last 15 years. I want to capture the Yugoslavian twenty-three, or rather the players that from where I stand would be in the national team currently. All opinions are welcome, just keep them football based. If not, I will ask the moderator to close the thread. This is the first phase where I will select three goalkeepers. My opinions are obviously open to debate, so feel free to criticize but do so with the football evidence not nationalistic justification. I'm using the internet along with Football Manager to determine the goalkeepers coming from each nation. There are several goalkeepers which are on the brink of the main squad, but I have decided to rather put forth the players that have been capped by the main national team. Thus, for example Damir Kahriman of Serbia is not included.

By each name I have put the club they play for, and their respective age. Usually the order number means where they are in the current setup, but honestly my knowledge is limited to the European Championship qualifiers, as well as the international friendlies, and World Cup qualifiers.

I have always had a passion to see what it would look like. So here are the goalkeepers I'm considering. The nations I'm looking that are of the FYR; Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, FYR Macedonia, and Montenegro.

Goalkeepers:

List of possible choices

Slovenia:

1. Samir Handanovic (Udinese, 24)
    2. Jasmin Handanovic (Mantova, 30)
    3. Jan Koprivec (Udinese, 20)
    4. Vid Belec (Ravenna, 18)

Croatia:

1. Stipe Pletikosa (Spartak Moscow, 29)
    2. Vedran Runje (RCD Lens, 32)
    3. Mario Galinovic (Panathinaikos, 32)
    4. Joey Didulica (AZ Alkmaar, 31)

Bosnia and Herzegovina:

1. Dragan Stojkic (Luch Energia, 33)
    2. Tomislav Piplica (Cottbus, 39)
    3. Erman Muratagic (Frankfurt, 17)
    4. Haris Mesic (Stuttgart, 19)

Montenegro:

1. Vukasin Poleksic (Debrecen, 26)
    2. Mladen Bozovic (Partizan, 24)
    3. Darko Bozovic (Partizan, 30)
    4. Ivan Janjusevic (Mogren, 22)

Serbia:

1. Vladimir Stojkovic (Sporting Lisbon, 25)
    2. Vladimir Disljenkovic (Metalurg Donetsk, 27)
    3. Vlada Avramov (Fiorentina, 29)
    4. Bojan Isailovic (Gençlerbirliği S.K, 28)

Macedonia:

1. Petar Milosevski (Enosis Neon Paralimni FC, 35)
    2. Tomislav Packovski (Vardar, 26)
    3. Oka Nikolov (Frankfurt, 34)
    4. Darko Tofiloski (FC Schaffhausen, 22)

For every World Cup squad three goalkeepers are chosen. To be hard but fair, the goalkeepers of Macedonia, Montenegro, and Bosnia are really not of the same calibre as those of the other nations. When I say that I mean all four goalkeepers, not just the main one. Slovenia comes next on the weakest list, and then Serbia and Croatia are on the same level, with Croatia taking the edge.

However, it is the best three goalkeepers from all the nations, which in my opinion are:

1. Samir Handanovic, Slovenia

2. Stipe Pletikosa, Croatia

3. Vladimir Stojkovic, Serbia

The starting goalkeeper is Samir Handanovic of Slovenia. He has displayed some great performances for Udinese this season in the Serie A, and I must say I have been very impressed. Udinese has gone off the boil a little bit since the start of the season, but Handanovic was massive in front of the Udine goal. His loan at Rimini has done great things for his confidence, and now, only 24 he is starting for one of the bigger clubs in Italy. He is an imposing figure at 193cm, and 88 kg, and I feel has all the potential to be one of the world's best if his progress can continue.

In second and third come Stipe Pletikosa and Vladmir Stojkovic. There are numerous things to be said about both. Pletikosa was decent during the European championships, but since then he has disappointed slightly, particularly in the game versus England. He has done fairly well however on the club side and his enjoyed good times at Spartak Moscow featuring in the Uefa Cup this season. However, I think Mario Galinovic does have the potential to replace him in the near future if his form continues for Panathinaikos.

Vladmir Stojkovic is a great goalkeeper. His form at Red Star Belgrade was particularly beautiful with Walter Zenga mentoring him into one of his finest prodigies. The highlight of his career is probably being picked the best goalkeeper at 2005 U21 European Championship in Portugal, as well as being named a 'god' after he single handedly stopped Braga from reaching the Uefa Cup group stage in the second away leg for Red Star Belgrade. Those plaudits earned him a move FC Nantes in France only to be criticized after a couple of errors, which led him to Vitesse in Holland on loan. After that he signed for Sporting Lisbon to rejuvinate his career. Initially he did very well, however he was subsequently dropped by the Lisbon manager, and all hell has followed him since. He constantly wants to move, even though initially he loved the country. One particular feature about him though is that his national team form never dropped. He has always been excellent, and has never made an error. His command of the central line with Nemanja Vidic is one of the reasons why Serbia is first in their group. The potential is there for a great goalkeeper, one that could become top five in the world, but it is his mentality at club level that he needs to address.

Therefore, my first installment of the Balkan 23 is done. I hope you enjoy reading more, and feel free to add to the conversation, in particular a similar format. The next on the list will be the right fullbacks.

The first three:

[​IMG]

Samir Handanovic.

[​IMG]

Stipe Pletikosa.

[​IMG]

Vladimir Stojkovic.

2. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    I do not agree. Handanovic is good, but Stojkovic is whole class above him. Not only that he is the best goalkeeper in the Balkans, but also in top 10 best goalkeepers in Europe, quality wise. He has been brilliant for us so far in WCQ. So my choice is Stojkovic.There are also indications that he will sign for Espanyol.

3. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Yea, but the facts are that he is not starting for a team that is in the final 16 of the Champions League. He has been very good for us as I stated, but have you even seen Handanovic?

Stojkovic has not proven anything on club level, and in most national teams he wouldn't start because of his form. But, becasue he is an established international and has always been good for us, we have not changed him.

4. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    Stojkovic has not proven anything on club level, because he has fallen out with Bento. I really like to watch Sporting videos and laugh at blunders of Rui Patricio. Its better than " Just for laughs" believe me.
    Yes i watched Handanovic many times(because i like tow watch Lukovic).He was good for Udinese in the beginning of the season when they played great. But now that their form has dropped so has his.

5. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I understand that Stojkovic has great potential.. but he has not shown it. Not for Vitesse, nor for Nantes. He is a hard head, that needs to adjust his mentality. Three clubs in one year hardly speaks greatly of you when you are so great...

I like Stojkovic a lot, don't get me wrong, but currently he isn't the best.

6. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    In my opinion Stojkovic is the best. Hard head? So what. Maradona also had hard head. Stojkovic has great quality. He can always pull off some amazing saves, which take your breath away, something neither Pletikosa nor Handanovic can do. They are goalkeepers who do not make many blunders, but none of them has class like Stojkovic.Also Zenga appreciates him a lot.He will soon find a proper club, tolerant coach, and show his full potential.

I would give whole defensive line to Serbia.

Ivanovic-Vidic-Subotic-Lukovic

7. Aco93

Aco93 New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And I would give the whole Serbian team.

Why should I care about "yugoslavia" :confused: :rolleyes:

8. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    The role of the right fullback has transformed world football ever since the early 1970's when the Dutch single-handedly changed how the game is play. Now fullbacks are expected to drive forward and give support to the midfielders while never giving any space in the defensive third of the park, which is quite a task, considering you must be running back and forth at a great level. Fullbacks such as Daniel Alves, Maicon, Gianluca Zambrotta, and Patrice Evra define the position. Here are the best the Balkan countries have to offer. Since this position is only 2 players deep, only the countries two finest right fullback's will be involved.

Right Full Back:

List of possible choices:

Croatia:

1. Vedran Corluka (Tottenham, 22)
    2. Dario Simic (AS Monac, 33)

Serbia

1. Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea, 24)
    2. Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dormund, 24)

Bosnia and Herzegovina:

1. Aleksandar Kosoric (FK Slavija, 21)
    2. Nenad Hasanbegovic (Schalke 04, 20)

Montenegro:

1. Jovan Tanasijevic (Dinamo Moscow, 30)
    2. Savo Pavicevic (Cottbus, 27)

Slovenia:

1. Miso Brecko (FC Cologne, 24)
    2. Matej Mavric (Koblenz, 29)

Macedonia:

1. Vlade Lazarevski (Rabotnicki, 25)
    2. Perica Stanceski (Cukaricki, 23)

From all the following right fullbacks, only three are of similar caliber. Those three are Rukavina, Ivanovic, and Corluka. Montenegro has a decent pair of right fullback's but Serbia and Croatia's are superior.

Between the three of them there isn't much, however Branislav Ivanovic has proven time and again why he is at Chelsea. While his form has suffered since going there he is definetely one of the best backs in the world, and like Corluka he can play also very well as a center back. He was the captain of our U21 side whom he led to the title of Vice Champion of Europe, and has been in great form for our national team scoring agaisnt Lithuania.

Vedran Corluka on the other side is also very young, but quite exprienced. His physical presence and his exhuberence going forward provide for some great attacks for the right hand side. His rise to prominence was very well documented at Manchester City, and at Tottenham he is one of the only bright lights in such a dim season.

Both Ivanovic and Corluka deserve the place, with Ivanovic's leadership giving him the edge. But, it really depends on the opposition that a team is facing as to which player would start. As for Antonio Rukavina, he has been great for Serbia, but he is still lacking the edge in the defensive department to challenge these two great internationals. He could do it with a good run of form.

Thus the first choice right back is Branislav Ivanovic, with Vedran Corluka right in the thick of things. A very diificult decision.

So thus far...

1. Samir Handanovic
    2. Stipe Pletikosa
    3. Vladimir Stojakovic
    4. Branislav Ivanovic
    5. Vedran Corluka

[​IMG]

Branislav Ivanovic.

[​IMG]

Vedran Corluka.

9. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    -------------------Stojkovic------------------
    -----------Subotic-------------Vidic----------
    --Ivanovic--------------------------Lukovic--
    -----------Srna----------Stankovic----------
    ----------------Kuzmanovic------------------
    ----Modric---------------------Jovanovic-----
    -----------------Vucinic---------------------

10. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    Also name of the thread is wrong. It should have been Ex Yu 23.Romania, Greece, Albania and Bulgaria are also in the Balkans.

11. Marko91

Marko91 New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Hey Serbov, delete some of your old private messages in your inbox, so my P.M. can go through. Thanks.

12. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    I have deleted some of them. Now I have 84 messages stored, but i still have not received your PM. Maybe you should try to send it again.

13. alchemist

alchemist New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Goalkeepers

1. Handanovic
    2. Stojkovic
    3. Pletikosa

Defence

4. Vidic
    5. Ivanovic
    6. Corluka
    7. Simunic
    8. Subotic
    9. Lukovic
    10. Kolarov

Midfield

11. Stankovic
    12. Modric
    13. Rakitic
    14. Misimovic
    15. Kuzmanovic
    16. Sulejmani
    17. Kacar
    18. Srna

Attack

19. Petric
    20. Vucinic
    21. Ibisevic
    22. Pandev
    23. Eduardo

14. stulic

stulic New Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Syd-AU
    Now a couple of months later, the answer would look a whole lot differently...