The Attacking Fullback

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by leafdolfan, Dec 30, 2008.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When I first read the title for this thread, I misunderstood it's meaning... Maybe 'cause I was not used to the word "fullback". When I began reading, I first realized that fullback was nothing more than the well known libero, but 'till the end of the text, my mistake was corrected (nothing that wikipedia couldn't help :p).

IMO, the text, although very enlightening, don't bring anything new in terms of tactics...It's obvious that the use of attacking fullback is helpfull, and it's not new! Remember 4th brazilian goal in WC 70 final match against Italy, just to give a ponctual example. Football is plenty of good attacking fullbacks since many years ago (Brazilian Cafú, R. Carlos, Leonardo, Jorginho are more recent and known examples).

Maybe, the tactical 'revolution' that coaches and players have applied in the field over the years have confused people's mind, when in some cases they're talking about the same.

3. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    That is your blog? Very interesting read, good job.

I'd only like to stress, like uamiranda already did, that attacking full backs were already common 40 years ago (think of Giacinto Facchetti as the prime example), and the attacking full back was already the rule, not the exception, in the 1970s. I just mention this because I came across several articles (from the sports section of newspapers) recently in which the author claims that one of the main characteristics of the 'modern' game is the attacking full back. As if this was a recent tactical innovation, which of course it is not.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know how Facchetti played with his wingers. Brazil did not produce great wingers liked the Europeans. So I cannot really judge how the role of the fullbacks. The position of the attacking fullback seemed to be more important because of the evolution of the classic winger/wide-midfielder position. The wingers don't charge down the sideline and cross anymore. They cut inside and shot as mentioned in your blog.

In a few years, we will see more right-footed wide player on the left side and left-footed on the right. It is natural to cross from the right foot on the right wing, but it is actually more effective to cut inside and shoot with the other foot. I do not follow Manchester United so I do not know CR7's play on the left, but Robben has played some of his best games on the right this season.

5. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's right. Maybe it's a matter of style, but in my point of view, Brazilian teams are not used to play with midfield wingers. When using 4-4-2 system (the most common to use midfield wingers), Brazil uses instead one or two defensive midfielders and two or three offensive midfielders (please scholars, correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:).

That's a good explanation to the appearance of attacking fullback. With the wingers dropping to the middle, who would fill the wings?

It depends on the defensive system of the opponent... In Brazil, there were a historical issue right before WC 82, when brazilian fans and public oppinion blamed coach Telê Santana as stubborn for not using offensive wingers. At that time, and untill a time later, the wingers were viwed by many as the best alternative to escape from a concentrated defensive midfield of the opponent.

6. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Dutch teams of the 70s also used attacking fullbacks, and I am not saying they are new to the game. What I am saying is that in today's game they are no longer a "secret attacking weapon" or some new tool. They are now almost mandatory in supporting attacks.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far back as I can remember in Argentina we had fullbacks who joined the attack. Silvio Marzolini and Elbio Pavoni come to mind. Of course, Argentina's 78 WC winners had Alberto Tarantini and Jorge Olguin at fullbacks, both players who enjoyed attacking more than defending, and were very effective at it.

I understand leafdolfan's point though. Back in the day, the great attacking fullbacks were a luxury that top teams used to great effect. In today's game, if you want to have a top team, they are basically a necessity.

Looking at the teams I support, I cannot imagine Boca Juniors or Argentina playing with fullbacks who stay back most of the time. I even have problems with a player like Gabriel Heinze, who does join the attack often, just because his attacking skills are not as strong as his defensive skills. I'd rather see him in central defense.

8. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The other thing is that in the 70s they were a new dimension to the attack. Now they are as integral to the attack is the first and second waves, because they are not only called on to bring a spark to the attack, but also to support the attack.