The Atmosphere at RFK on Sat. Night

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mellon002, Nov 7, 2004.

1. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    We're lazy, we let team come to us instead :)

I really don't have much energy left to run around field after 90+ minutes of jumping lol

2. pitz78

pitz78 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    B-more, MD
    That was the best game I've ever seen in person ... the atmosphere, the game, everything was the way soccer should be.

It rivaled the MLS Cup '96 match ... at school, we had 20-25 packed into a freshman's college dorm room. Playing drums (read: anything we could beat on, but it worked for us) and blowing plastic horns ... watching our 23" TV or something small like that. I'll never forget running through the dorm after Eddie Pope finished that header in OT ...

3. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree 100%

In fact, I'd like to see the Timbers in the MLS one day.

4. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Actually they were seated all the way up in the 300's section, to the left of us.. It's sad because a)it seems DCU throws all the opp's supporters in that corner so they are not seen and b)It was even sadder for the supporters because not one NE player aknowledge them. Reis was indeed clapping at us... He did it when the regular time was over and before the PK's... I know my fellow Nortenos hate all the goalies with a passion.. I'm a new Norteno and it's hard for me to hate them.... Specially when they show class like Reis did... I mean we gave it to him hard all night...

Now that I think about it though, I think Reis is the only one that shows class...

On the atmosphere at RFK though, this was by far the best night for myself and La Norte I think this year... From the very beginning to the very end... We were full of energy, chanting our asses off and for once other sections actually chanted and cheered....

When the whole stadium was shaking, that was surreal... f'n unbelievable... Best Night Ever...

21 thousand plus seemed more like 40 thousand...
    Dougg
    LN

5. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    One thing I noticed was that the Hispanic community was very, very well represented at the game. And, as nearly as I could tell, they were very pro-United. I was really pleased to see that.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this has been mentioned . . .this is a off-topic, but I've been wondering it for quite a while, and your positive comments about the Timbers brought it to mind. Why is Portland never at the top of the list of cities that have been considered for expansion? Before LA and SLC were decided upon, there were a long list of possible cities; Portland wasn't on it. Look at the list of Big Soccer Expansion subforums; in addition to LA and SLC, you see Houston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, etc. etc. No Portland.

This despite the fact that Portland has a *great* atmosphere for soccer, and always has. The MNT loves playing matches in Portland because the fan support for national team matches there is so good. I remember a player quote from five or six years ago along the lines of "it doesn't matter who we play in Portland -- we get a big crowd and it's a true home game," things which most other venues in the U.S. can't universally say.

Is there something I don't know about because I haven't been following it? Why no team in Portland? Not big enough? Don't believe the total crowd numbers will increase sufficiently over A-league levels? What up?

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    One of the smallest TV market in professional sports? Relatively small city compared to most (Cowlumbus excluded, of course)? No appreciable ethnic minority to cater to without signing Klose? MLS brass wants Seattle in the long run and doesn't want to enter the market in Portland first? Maybe Portland bigwigs would rather have minor league baseball? Who knows. I personally cannot get my mind around why a team is not there. I was at the 1997 US-Costa Rica match. That stadium was just CRYING to be a soccer venue.

Back to the atmosphere at the match on Saturday. How about the super-duper huge drum making an appearance in the BB section? I love that drum, it's bigger than the guy playing it.

Tim

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was it la nortes Bombo? josh might have been drumming. i dont know though

9. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Note the "BB" for Barra Brava. I don't recall the guy's name, but the drum is almost as tall as him. It's got wheels it's so big.

Tim

10. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    From one Croatian to another!!!! YOu are a badasss soccer fan.

Zivili DC United!!!

You guys that kind of work can only come from a passionare fan for a banner like that. We Croatians are all about passion.

That rocks!!

11. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    No it wasn't... He means big as an "tall/long" not "wide." Ours is one big, wide m'fer! :D

Dougg
    LN

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Salvador, a DCU/USMNT faithful even though he hasn't been around much the last couple of years. He's been to both home playoff games. He has a Darth Vader mask that he's worn a bit. At MLS Cup 99 you might see a picture of the diminutive Darth above the Barra crowd behind the goal -- I was steadying him and tanking some of his weight as he was sorta balancing on his drum in order to see. He's old-time Barra.

GM

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Jedva cekam da idem na Island-Hrvatska na otoku sljedeceg rujna. Valda bu nas bilo dosta, stadion bas ne prima puno :D

[​IMG]

14. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Do I see some Croatian chants in Barra Brava's future?? :D

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't know, how do you say Barracudas in Croatian?

16. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Actually the latino (mostly mexican) population around portland is quite large. school districts in washington county and marion county have huge percentages of latino students. certtainly larger than Seattle's.

as someone who grew up watching the NASL timbers, i can remember when we used to be called "Soccer City USA".

17. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

See it MAKES SENSE to have a team here... That's why I'm wonder just what the hell are they thinking by putting a team in UTAH....

and I felt the same way about KC and Colorado...

Dougg

18. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Good point. I'm generalizing based on my visits to the city, not having ever lived there, nor having bothered to research it! I do know 'bout the soccer city moniker from back in the day. Per capita, maybe still a reasonable statement.

Cheers,
    Tim

19. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, LN- Dougg, you know the answer. If somebody from Portland stepped up and gave MLS $10,000,000 and had another $50,000,000 or so in reserve, Portland would be on the short list and they'd be working with local government about the appropriate venue. It's not rocket science, it's as Wilbon says, surely we understand supply and demand. [no, I didn't call you Shirley] ;)

GM

20. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I do know a lot about Utah, having lived there a few years. The Salt Lake valley has a very large mexican immigrant population. It's also a huge and growing place. It has lots and lots of soccer players of all ethnicities. It also is a loyal sports market when tapped into. Not my idea of a great place to live or visit (unless in the mountains and wilderness).

Now back to the atmosphere at the Stadium Saturday. I indeed heard a few unique chants from the quiet side starting up. First time in years for that since Salvatore stopped coming regularly. Anybody know if he made it to this one?

Cheers,
    Tim

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see Salvatore at the East Final.

GM

22. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i saw him drive by the tailgate

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Barakude? :)

I was singing some for Owen on Saturday, I think it gave him a headache :D

viju se plave zastave
    i plavi salovi
    Bad Blue Boysi su najludi
    to ce uvijek ostati

that's actually a really common melody for Euro groups. I can't remember original tho, it's pretty famous but I'm so used to our version (it's been around for 25 years) I can't remember original. :) I bet GM would know it tho hehe

Not sure what attendance is for Timbers games, I just know they have a large support group that's not one dimensional (I guess attendance and large supporters base don't allways go hand in hand :) )

24. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I lived in Oregon for a few years and I agree with you. I hope that, if the MLS really ever does get up to 18 teams as the Commish has indicated, there's a place for Portland and Rochester (and maybe for San Antonio) as well as for the larger market areas. I think, really, that Portland probably would go to the head of the line if some dude steps up with a big bank roll and lays the necessary money on the line.

25. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    In the old days (I can't believe I'm referring to 1997 as "the old days"), the problem with Portland was mainly the stadium situation. Back then it was an issue of stadium size, the quality of the facility, and, as mentioned by GM above, financing. My guess would be that those issues still exist - along with the Seattle gorilla a couple of hundred miles to the north.

The atmosphere at that '97 USMNT WCQ in Portland was absolutely electric - an amazing display unseen at ANY other home WCQ in this country before or since. If it were strictly about the quality of the fanbase, Portland would have been the first franchise in the league. But it isn't strictly about that. Same goes for my old stomping grounds - Rochester, NY. Great sports fans alone don't ensure a team's health.