The Atlantic Cup

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Sep 22, 2003.

1. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    As an Islander fan I beg to differ. I couldn't care less who wins that award. The only cup any true hockey fan cares about is the one that makes it's annual appearance around the second week in June. Rivalry cups only matter in college sports where the teams meet once a year.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's your opinion..... but I know a helluva lot of Rangers fans who wish more importance was placed on the LaFontaine trophy....

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Great, now we can expect DC trolls to post big "I told you so's" like we actually care about this contrivance.

Three domestic trophies count: MLS Cup, US Open Cup, and the Supporter's Shield. It's just tacky for the front offices to 'legitimize' a genuine fan rivalry with so much tinsel.

We've lost Mathis for the next two matches due to his reckless behavior; instead of a scoring threat he's a liability. The team has deep problems heading into the playoffs and the OC Semifinal, and we are supposed to enthuse over a hunk of tin for squeeking by DC and maintaining a 1 point lead to barely hang on to 2nd place?

Show this 'trophy' to San Jose next week; I'm sure they will lay down for us, handing us 3 points.

I'm getting too old for this. I've seen too many cheap awards commending mediocrity: Pulitzers, Emmies, Grammies, Oscars, Lifetime Achievement Awards, and gold watches -- you name it.

Can you be proud of your shirt? That's what counts, when all is said and done.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I wish I had a Metrostars shirt to be proud of....

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    True, but it's the only thing you've won. You can "care" about it all you want, but at least it's a genuine award.That may be little consolation, but at least it's something.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No, it isn't. We won the Eastern Conference title a couple seasons ago. I rate that higher; more than that, I rate it a legitimate trophy -- which was recently broken, since it was made of glass.
    That, in itself, is Metro in a nutshell (or cardboard box, if they saved the pieces).

7. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Moron: no, the Metros have "won" an assortment of tin cups and glass bowls, some of which actually have more significance than simply beating DC in a season series. There's no point in taking pride in such useless garbage as the Eastern Conference championship, but as crap as it is, it means far more than this idiotic bowling trophy we get for beating DC-- a dubious achievement we have reached in the past, without a cheap trinket to pretend to celebrate.

There are three domestic trophies that are worth caring about: the US Open Cup, the Supporters Shield, and the MLS Cup. Anything else is a joke, a fake honor. And reaching a final doesn't mean squat if you don't win it.

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Let me get this straight: you're the only team in the league who's never been to a final at any level and you want to downplay the significance of this award? Fine. You won the Eastern conference title? Wow, bravo. How far did you go that season? How long has it been since that award? I'm just saying that this award is something that a team and its fans should take pride in.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that this cup is not such a bad idea...but it will be more meaningful when each of the two teams has a stadium to call their own...That way the fans i think would have an even bigger input into how the teams perform, therefore making playing on home ground an even greater advantage....BTW , by this i do not mean any disrespect to the Metro's supporters club

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    And I'm just saying it's BS -- and that ain't Big Soccer.

"We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
    -- Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

"It is a tale told by an idiot,
    full of sound and fury,
    signifying nothing."
    -- MACBETH

"I don't need this *#*#*#*#."
    -- AMERICAN BUFFALO

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to take a different tack on this. DCU fans clearly cared enough to cheer this thing when their team hoisted it last year. This year, they didn't get to cheer. While I don't care about the hardware or its origins, anything that leaves the Scum fans going home bitter is fine by me.

12. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Couldn't have been said better than that.

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well until you win any of those, you should be happy with what you got.

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I don't have to wait to win a Nobel Prize to appreciate its value. I will never win one, but I can respect what it means. Nor is for YOU to instruct others on what they should be happy to get.

I am not a dog to take the scraps others toss my way; you, on the other hand, may be the whatever creature you choose.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So why don't you respect what this means? This league is far too young for you to determine the significance of this cup. It may not be rooted in long history (hell, like any title other than the Open Cup actually is), but it is something that the fans, teams, and league take note of. There is a general like for this award by the aforementioned and is simply something extra for the teams and fans to look forward to.

16. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    jason, give it a rest...i think you made your point several times, but the majority of us just don't care for this Cup, it's good you care though

17. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    No one gives a sh!t about that cup.

18. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    I don't know of any Metro fans that give a shiite about the Atlantic Cup. The only thing we all care about: BEATING DC And that's exactly what we did.
    Instead of saying. "We won the Atlantic Cup!", I think we should be saying, "We Won the Derby!", or "We Beat DC!". Let the DC fans keep the mass-marketed aluminum piece of crap.

19. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC

Uh Dipshitz - you realize that you did not win right? The last winner in ther derby was United - just a few days ago in that shitzoo you call Giants Stadium.

20. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Man youre on a roll tonight. First, you call out Clint Mathis for "assaulting" fans- by squirting water at them. Now you can't even realize that the win referred to is for the season series. In a thread entitled "The Atlantic Cup". Which is the 'prize' for the winner of the season series. Get a clue.

21. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Originally posted by NYR Metros: That's not true. Myself and a lot of Rangers fans wish the Pat LaFontaine Trophy would be more publicized, and more importance placed on it.
    --------------------------------------------------

You can count me out of this one NYR Metros. I am a die hard Rangers fan, but you and your bunch as well as those pathetic Islanders fans can have your fun with Pat LaFontaine's cup. Just make sure to clean up after yourselves.

This Atlantic Cup business is crap. And if DC supporters are actually enjoying the sight of this piece of trash then you can have it. Hell since Metro defeated you in the season series I would let DC keep that pathetic little nothing. It goes to show you that you thought somehow, somewhere there would be some brains sitting in the stands of RFK, but I guess with Knave's help he shows us why they are dumb in the head.

There are many derby's in soccer within Mexico, England, Germany, Italy, Spain and let's not forget the super duper one that involves what type of church you go to in Scotland. You don't see a little tea cup givin to the winner because you won the derby.

There are many rivalries in many Leagues here in North America. Do you think the Maple Leafs & Canadians are going to earn a trophy at the end of the regular season because they kicked each other's tail? No. That's why the fans make this rivalry special.

Strike up a conversation with a Boston Sportfan and ask him why during a Patriots Super Bowl party they kept on chanting "Yankees Suck" when the Yankees have nothing to do with the NFL. Goes to show you that a certain region just can't seem to get it right also which sport to celebrate it.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Did it really get broken? I thought you were being humorous.

For the record, I don't care about the Atlantic Cup. All I know is that Ugly won the season series over Beauty and that hurts.

Of course, having NYR Metros brag about winning it just underscores how pathetic the whole idea is.

Sachin

23. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing positive about the LaFontaine Cup is that a charity (or Pat's charity?) gets money in the end. Other then that, I don't think we need a trophy to let Islander fans know that they hate the Rangers and vice versa.

I'm only a first year Metro fan but comin in I knew about the DC/MetroStars rivalry. I didn't learn about it from some made up trophy. I don't think we came into the season with our expectations set on the Atlantic Cup. We have a chance to win the US Open Cup and the MLS Cup so I'll get excited over that.

24. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

:)

25. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    i put this on the other cup thread, and would hate for some of you morons to miss it...here ya go:

"The Atlantic Cup made its way into the MetroStars locker room Sunday night, but hardly anybody noticed. Metros players walked around battered and bruised as Bob Bradley told somebody to just lay the trophy off to the side.

This isn't one of the trophies Bradley and the Metros are focused on winning..."

--------------------------------------------

thats our freakin Bob and players not carin about the stupid f'n cup...down with the cup, UP THE METRO!!!!!!!