The Ashes thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Eric B, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (I'm surprised this hasn't been started yet)

So Hussein elects to bat second and Australia ends the first day 364/2. Youch!

Also, it looks like this isn't on Dish Network PPV here in the States (according to their website) which is surprising.

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I was going to start a thread of this nature but realised that it would be just one long period of hurt.

I'm just glad it's down under so I don't have to see it all unfolding.

Let's face it, we didn't have a cat in hells chance of winning the thing - it was just a question of whether it's going to be a whitewash - which I have a funny feeling will happen.

Seriously though, the gods seem to be conspiring against England even showing a vaguely respectable score.
    Playing Aussies (obviously, its the ashes), tall order.
    In Australia.
    Various players crocked before the series started.
    And Gough still out, not to mention Harmison getting injured while fielding. Will it ever end?

So we're left with a strike force of Caddick and Hoggard oooo.. scary. Aussies must be crapping themselves - after all, all they've got is McGrath, Gillespie etc

451-6

We need to hope for some monsoon like weather.

3. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i feel like we played well yesterday (or today however u look at it....gay time zones confusing me) got a lot of respect back to this game and to england....lets just hope we keep it up for tonight....or tommorow again how u look at it!

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah.... cricket.

5. fademan77

fademan77 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia
    afca sounds excited.

England did a great job in D2, bowled out Australia for 496, and have put on 1/150odd themselves.

They are really taking it up to glen and shane...

pgi.

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What does "Jimmenicricket" mean? I don't remember who said it and in what (kids) movie... but I'm sure someone can tell me.

7. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
  8. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OPEN WIDE FOR SOME CRICKET!!!! But, really, I've tried several times to understand it and I have failed miserably when I thought I had it figured out. What does a 451-6 score mean? Is a lot good in Cricket? Or is it like golf?

9. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Yes 451-6 is a very good score. It means 451 runs scored for the loss of 6 wickets. There are 10 wickets in each innings.

10. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    The idea that cricket is hard to understand is a myth. Of course you're not going to understand it if the announcers don't explain the rules, but this is no more true for cricket than it is for baseball or American football, both of which I'd say, have more complex and obtuse rules than cricket.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok - so my first post was a little harsh on our lads.

Abolutely wanky first day - how many dropped catches??

But a respectable 2nd day mentioned by others here, limiting the Aussie stranglehold.

Only for me to be proved right again with England making a paltry 325 after a promising start.
    Then making a good start against the Aussie batsmen (39-2 at one point) only to let it slip again let Australia finish the day on 111-2.
    Supporting England is a roller-coaster ride - and not a nice one.

Plus I heard reports that Gillespie had done something to his knee - only for me to see him taking a few England wickets.
    It's not fair to do this to me.

12. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    And now Gough is out for the rest of the Ashes.
    :(

13. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

lets just close this thread.....before the obsenities begin!

14. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Too late.

BOLLOCKS!!!!

What the hell is it with our lot??!
    Beaten in 4 days! 79 All out!!

1 vaguely respectable day in 4.
    But then if we can't beat a side that hasn't won away from home in 16 years (India, this summer), then this really is nothing to be surprised about.

All we can hope for, to avoid a whitewash, is that the Aussies field an 8th XI in the final test, in the same style that Man U fields a substandard side for games that don't matter. Otherwise, all hope is lost.

15. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    OMFG. this is begining to take the piss realy. 79 all out. Anyone else ready to give up on English Cricket?

Now Nasser Hussain(sp) wants to go over to perth to be with his preganant wife? This chump needs to realise hes in the biggest test series in the world. Anyone got any idea on who we could put in as the new captain this dude clearly dosent give a ************ anymore.

Also nice to see atleat one England team doing well. Good result against the All Blacks.

16. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Disappointing way to end, but this will almost be a success if we can even get close to them over the tour. And it's still better than Pakistan managed.

We don't have much strength in depth, and with so many of the first choice 11 out, or only just back from injury (Vaughan, Trescothick, Thorpe, Gough, Flintoff). Australia away isn't really very friendly for us. And even with them all playing, and in form, we'd still need a miracle to do well out there.

Hussain's record as captain really isn't that bad, the team is certainly improved from it's all time low. A replacement is needed sometime soon, and who is touring at the start of next summer? If it is Zimbabwe, might not be a bad time to blood someone new. Or even New Zealand.

17. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Given my current despondancy I'd be more happy if Bangladesh were the opponents.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful what you wish for, and the Bangladeshis have to win a test series sometime soon ;)

19. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    But I know when that one is though.

England always take a while to get round to the newcomers.

20. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    OK, I'm glad someone explained "451-6." But what does "79 all out" mean? Thanks in advance.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's bad. Very, very bad. Steaming pile of feces bad. It means you've had all you guys bat, and they've only made 79 runs before everyone was retired, as opposed to the other team in the example, who made 451 while only 6 guys were retired.

22. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And it's ten a side, right? Yikes. I know that a century is scoring 100 runs on one's lonesome, so for the whole team to get only 79 definitely means you're opening up a whole can of Bovril-laced suck.

Other than that, the only thing I really know of cricket is reading the cricket match scene in Dorothy L. Sayers' Murder Must Advertise.

23. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, actually it's 11 a side but the game needs 2 batsmen at a time, so as soon as the 10th man is gone, the innings is over. Pedant I know.

On a hopefully lighter note - Flintoff is meant to be ok to play. Will play in the upcoming test against Australia 'A', we'll see if his hernia(s) hold(s) up. By playing him, Chris Silverwood (brought into squad to replace the injured Simon Jones) doesn't find practice time.

24. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can someone explain cricket to me like I was a 5-year old?

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm sure you've asked that question before and got an answer.

But if not:
    Find someone who knows these things and watch a match (or at least some of it) with them. Like anything, it's easier with visual aids.

Or alternatively you could post individual questions on here and someone will answer them. Which is a lot easier than doing the whole lot in one go and it's easier to know the level of answer you want.