The Arsenal @ Wigan Pre/During/Post Matchday Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adebayor/Eduardo would be a dream for Saturday, I hope he's fit and then I imagine we can take him off after 60 for RVP, or vice verse, depending on who is more fit.

I think both Walcott and Nasri could use a rest so I would like to see Arshavin/Eboue out wide.

2. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDIT

duplicate.

3. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't wait for this one. i might change my lineup depending on the fitness of Van Persie, Diaby, and EduardoDafcukingsilva

but I'm thinking the ole 4-4-2 should do the trick for this one With Ade and Bendtner getting plenty of service from the midfield.

----Adebayor--Bendtner

Arshavin-Denilson-Cesc-Can't make up my mind!

Clichy-Doujrou-Toure-Sagna

--------Fabianski

4. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATM, Eboue is better than Theo, but Theo is just coming back from injury so I'll give him(Walcott) more time.

5. shblando

shblando Member

Nov 5, 2007
    eboue and walcott both love to take on people, with eboue cutting into the middle a lot of times and walcott to the outside. both seem to have poor final decisions.

if we are playing ade-bend, walcott may be the better choice as his somewhat ill aimed crosses would be more likely to find a head, if we are playing ade-edu than maybe eboue would be better. . . something tells me that dududdu is the only forward sharp enough on the team to put himself in a final position that may, god willing, entice eboue to make a decent pass around the box, that's not a knock against our strikers just pointing out that eboue's runs seem to freeze everyone like a deer in headlights.

6. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a bit of a stretch. Eboue has been doing well lately but Theo's pace opens up so much space on the pitch. His final product is still lacking but he'll come good with more some more matches. It is nice to have choices though, and Eboue being fourth choice makes me very comfortable with our current options on the flanks.

7. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Away at the JJB is not an easy place to play. Wigan will get stuck in AND the state of their pitch is between bad to worse. I remember the last year, we hardly created anything but for Fabs fantastic through ball to Ade which he fluffed in the 4th min or so and from them on it was uphill.
    The games are thick and fast but we have some momentum. Toure and JD solid at the back and hopefully the attackers will push the tie beyond reach.

Keep going Arsenal!

8. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    I actually think JD is more suited for this game, since Wigan like to cross the ball at every chance.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he was good against chelsea and has always been ok vs bigger guys

throw in some pace and skill and hes done

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    WOW....Gallas out for the season, Clichy out for 2 weeks. That royally sucks. Why cant we have a full healthy squad for once?

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the Wookash Fabianski movement starts Saturday

12. msufiftyseven

msufiftyseven New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that means we're definately gonna see good ol' fish-face sylvestre and we're definately gonna ship some goals. lets hope our front me stay healthy and we can score 4 a game so take the pressure off the back line

13. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm almost hoping that Wenger plays Silvestre in this one. We have very few unimportant games coming up (Wigan, Portsmouth and Boro are about the only games left that are not huge), and we need Kolo for each and every one of them.

This is a big blow, but I hope that Wenger can make the necessary adjustments because Silvestre looked terrible at center back against Burnley, for crying out loud.

14. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    sagna-toure-djourou-silvestre

just let them sit back and defend, someone is going to have to provide width.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think we will see Gibbs in for Clichy

and Djourou will definitely be starting for Gallas barring injury or disaster

16. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I was thinking: Sagna- Djourou- Silvestre- Gibbs. Gibbs has been very good this season and I'd like to see Kolo get a rest for this one.

17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gibbs has impressed a lot in his last few run outs. I can definately see him playing against Wigan, with perhaps Silvestre coming in for Villareal (unless Gibbs thoroughly impresses this weekend)

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All our matches are huge now. We only have 6 points on Villa (plus G/D) and are not that far removed from crappy nil-nil draws with teams similar to Wigan, Pompey, and Boro. These matches are absolutely must-wins since it's unlikely we'll grab all 9 points from our run in with Chelski, Pool, and United.

19. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    One good thing is that Everton is playing Villa next so at least they dont have a walk in the park game.... If those teams can draw and we win at Wigan it will be niiiice.

20. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Guess I was just saying that Kolo can't play every single match (as there seems to be one every three days for the next 5 weeks), so I'd rather have Silvestre out there playing center back against the weakest opponents so that Kolo, who has been so good recently, is available for the run-in.

21. shblando

shblando Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I think kolo can probably all games we need him too without tiring out, since a cb doesn't really suffer from fatigue the way a winger would. even with villa 6 back and playing everton we can't afford a draw against wigan, we've seen how fast momentum can swing and villa haven't looked bad at all in the last 2 games.

I'm excited to see gibbs again, especially combining with arshavin down the left, i think he will be huge improvement going forward over this season-clichy, and from what i've seen he actually puts some bite on his crosses. good crosses from the backs is the glaring offensive weakness of this team and could be a huge boost going into the remaining games as we have two strikers very capable of scoring goals with their head.

22. shblando

shblando Member

Nov 5, 2007
    i would hate to see silvestre on the wing against someone like valencia, really hope thats not going to happen.

23. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    Gibbs needs to play over Silvestre. It just needs to happen.

Anyone else going to hold out till the tape delay on FSC with me? It's going to be the most painful 12 hours or so i've ever experienced.

24. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  25. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    weakling. Man up.