The Arsenal @ Wigan Pre/During/Post Matchday Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    [​IMG]

JJB Stadium
    Saturday April 11, 2009
    TV: USA- FSC midnight (delay

Must win.
    We are the better team, period.
    Time to put these boys away early and often.
    Discuss~

2. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We will win this game, period. We are in good form and strong spirit. No doubt we will kill it!

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    They were pretty woeful from what i could stomach watching from their match with the Evertonians, i expect them to put up a better challenge but even then im not expecting alot.

3-0.

Minimum.

Bout time we had our annual 7-0 drubbing.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    We've already had our kids beat them 3-0 in the Mickey Mouse Cup, and our grownups beat them 1-0 at home in the League... still can't figure that one out... but now we're a lot healthier, and I'm itching to see this equation answered: Arshavin + Fabregas + Adebayor + the Wigan defense = ?

And, of course, if we win, it's St. Totteringham's Day. If Tottenham fails to defeat West Ham, even if it's only a tie, it's St. Totteringham's Day. Get ready to raise your toasts and, as has already been suggested to me, have a nice dinner of... lasagna, oh-whoa! Lasagna! Oh-whoa-whoa-whoa!

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be a tight one because of Wigan's tactics and their field, don't they play rugby on there as well?

I'm obviously optimistic for this one though. I think our momentum will push us right past them in the end. A confident 2-0 would be wonderful.

6. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I really really really hope there's a stream for this from somewhere...having to watch St. Totteringham's Day on delay will be so frustrating.

7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just win, and pick up no injuries, Hopefully we get the job done on our end, and Everton and Villa draw to open up the gap between 4th and 5th to 8 points.

8. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We can't set the record for St. Totteringham's day like last year but it will still feel good rub it in to the one spurs fan I know.

9. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Umm...is it seriously being delayed until midnight, or is that a typo?

10. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I wonder whats happening with Eduardo, RVP, and Diaby at this point. I think RVP and Diaby should be available for this game. If so here is the lineup I would like to see for the Wigan game.

------------------------RVP-----------Bendtner------------

Arshavin-------------Cesc-------------Diaby---------Eboue

Clichy----------------Djourou--------Toure---------Sagna

I think we need to make sure Ade doesn't get burned out after just coming back. Also, we should be able to give all of our starting wingers who play in the CL a break so they can recuperate.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, that's no typo. FSC is showing it at midnight Sunday.

12. SHADEY

SHADEY Member

Jul 15, 2003
    CINCINNATI
    I disagree. Ade has 3 goals in his first 2 games back. Keep him on the boil while we can.

I'd prefer him with Eduardo, but whomever is the most fit of Eduardo, RvP, and Bendtner will do fine. The awful Rugby pitch at Wigan may be the best place to start 2 Big Target Strikers like Ade and Bendtner, so I suppose there is a case for that.

A goal or two more from Adebayor, and I think you will see van Persie feeling the pressure and he will start scoring more as well.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd bring Ade on around the 70th minute. Keep him well rested for Wednesday. RVP's free ride is over. With all strikers fit, he is going to have to kick his performances up a notch or two if he wants to start the game against Villareal.

14. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    This makes the most sense for me. And yes, RVP now needs to work even harder because you KNOW when Eduardo returns thats sure goals.

15. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Be glad to see Arshavin back out there. He's much more dangerous than Nasri lately.

16. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Ditto that.

I have strong fears that we will be seeing Silvestre on a regular basis now that Gallas is injured. Hopefully Billy gets back in 2-3 weeks so we can avoid that.

That said, I think Arsene will keep running Ade out there until he can't score no more. With RVP, Nik and Eduardo all waiting in the wings, there will be pleanty of options to replace Ade if he has a bad day.

Steve Bruce hates his best striker and Wigan are playing with little confidence these days. 1-2 in front of maybe 15,000 fans.

17. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're talking about the same van Persie who pretty much WAS the offense for 2 months right? Yeah thats what I thought.

Short memories around here.

18. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Although he carried the offense for a while, he was still very wasteful. He may have been the best performer but he was performing around a 7, when everyone else was about a 5. Now that the team as a whole is finding its form, and Ade and Eduardo are back - his old level of performance just won't do - but thats a good thing, everyone is going to be pressured to push themselves for a change.

19. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone was saying Ade was going to have to work his way back into the squad with rvp in fine form. Now it's turned out to be the other way around. Funny.

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    [​IMG]

maybe the most critical goal of the season.

[​IMG]

perhaps the biggest win so far this season.

free ride? that honestly made me laugh out loud.

21. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    For once, unlike last year, I don't think we're gonna go to the JJB and put up a big 0-0.

We get the job done and look to next week.

22. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Most critical goal of the season? That would probably be Ade's goal yesterday. He was missing as many chances as Bendtner, and his strike rate hasn't been that good in the league. RVP is a fan favorite so he doesn't get as much criticism, but in all fairness his performances this season haven't been that good. Adebayor has caught some flak for having a relatively poor season and has only scored 1 less goal in 6 less games.

If RVP doesn't up his game, he should be benched in favor of Ade-Eduardo, or even Ade-Walcott on Wednesday.

23. UncleMike

UncleMike New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Is there some sort of rule that says Gooners MUST turn on at least one striker a week? Because I'd STILL rather have van Persie out there (assuming he's healthy) for the first 75 minutes than that blasted Bendtner, who, presuming fitness for RVP and Adebayor, and given his propensity for late goals, should ONLY be there for the last 15 + injury time.

I agree that RVP should play better, but what he's at is already better than most players.

24. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I will be following this one on ATVO! Come on Arsenal!

25. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd also rather have him out there than Bendtner, just pointing out that he needs to raise his game now that we have all 4 strikers fit and ready. I'd say the same thing about Nasri, but Arshavin is inelligible to play in the CL so he kind of gets his spot by default.