The Arsenal vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers, Premier League Matchday 22, 10 February 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a large percentage of the Xhaka and Luiz reds aren’t reds for other players/teams. That’s kind of the point.

thebigman repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a pretty persuasive refutation of the small sample size argument.

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    During Arteta’s time in charge, which includes the end of the 2019/2020 season (6 months of data that predates the data in the tweet by Ed Avern) only three players have been dismissed more than once, Xhaka and Luiz with three straight red cards each and Gabriel with two double yellow cards. They are responsible for more than half the dismissals under Arteta. Xhaka and Luiz have developed a reputation and are easy to give red cards too, Gabriel may be developing a reputation.

Tonerl repped this.
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not, I don’t think.

It could be a refutation of the Xhaka derangement syndrome that pretty much every Arsenal supporter seems to have, tho.

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i was thinking about this the other day - and, trust me, i am fully in the tilted, this is bullshit, unfair treatment camp - but, if you take them each in isolation, i'm not sure i could argue against any of the red cards. maybe david luiz against wolves (but, even then, i can understand the reasoning) and martinelli if only because i literally have never seen someone get double-yellowed on the same play. for all that i agree with and enjoy the "if that was granite xhaka", i'm not sure that i can argue any of his reds were undeserved (and probably most of his yellows, frankly - man gets his money's worth).

but the 2 things that gets me is 1) the uneven application and 2) the fouls we don't get called when performed against us. it didn't even occur to me at the time but, thankfully, mcnicholas brought it up: i have no argument against gabriel's double-yellow but how is westwood any different? why does he escape a 2nd yellow? i think, at the time of their occurrences, there were plenty of people who were able to show comparisons to nketiah's, aubameyang's, and even david luiz's that did not get shown reds. and, damn, the calls we don't get. even just staying within this year, i can't see how anyone can justify godfrey or mcarthur not being shown reds.

chjoak repped this.
  6. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's not that our reds arent justified but that other teams with similar situations are not also being shown red. You pointed out specific situations where players should have been shown red against us but there are also numerous examples from other games as well. The only thing that seems to be consistent in all of this is the ref's desire to flash red at Arsenal.

daedalus repped this.
  7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thisnis the exact bullshit Man Utd have got away with for 25 years

we literally get no warning it’s a straight yellow. Yet city and Liverpool can foul the shit out of us multiple times before a yellow is shown

9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly McTominay also had 3-4 reckless challenges in the game all that were borderline red and he wasn't carded for any. Was eventually shown yellow for a weak challenge and the ref threw up 4 fingers indicating that he had been warned 4 times.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    how do you even attempt to justify dude just . . . . hugging a player attempting a throw-in? how do you even ********ing justify warning someone 4 times?!?!?!?

11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At issue is the fact they don’t ever have to justify their decisions, because the are no standards, transparency or accountability for the PGMOL.

mebeSajid, yossarian and daedalus repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    legit point. i still think PGMOL just needs to be blown up and start anew. EFL and premier league needs to just cut ties/end their contract with them and start their own just so they are no longer beholden to that bullshit. this is why i'm so "i'll believe it when i see it" with the supposed move to improve and increase diversity with refereeing.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, agreed, as you mention, James and Andrew made this point very well in the Arsecast the other day. Gabriel's double yellow may be fine. But how can you justify MacArthur only getting a yellow for kicking the shit out of Saka--not even looking at the ball or Tomiyasu's face getting stomped on and nothing. You know damn well, Arsenal players would have been sent off for both those incidents.

daedalus repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    on top of that, could you imagine the media reaction?!?!?!

15. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread on this tweet has a ton of good gifs for cards & penalties that should have been called in Arsenal's favor this season but were not...

1496079189573013505 is not a valid tweet id

maskito repped this.
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, if PGMOL was not a corrupt, bullshit place, that non-red on macarthur alone deserves to be firable offense.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This game is on Amazon prime btw

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it is? what search terms are you using?

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game do you mean?

Also, this got me thinking, is Amazon geo-location limited, i.e. do you in the UK have access to footy on Prime that we in USA do not?

Since NBC/Peacock has the rights to EPL here, many of us don't go much beyond NBC when looking for matches or content.

20. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably this one.

It’s on Prime in the UK, Peacock in the States.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I figured that. But still my main question remains

22. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has anyone tried VPN into the UK via prime? Will do anything to bypass NBC coverage and Arlo

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man it'd be nice to rename this thread title... change "vs" to "@" perhaps. Confusing having 2 nearly identical MD thread titles, simultaneously active.

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I continue to admire your energy, @NorthBank.

daedalus repped this.
  25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ooh! good to know about it being available in UK. thanks!