The Arsenal vs. Newcastle, Premier League Matchday 13, 27 November 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Nov 24, 2021.

1. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Not sure Old Trafford or Goodison Park is the place to try it, but I'd like to see what Martinelli could do in place of Auba in front of the rest of the first team. Auba is providing so little right now, it's not like Martinelli would do worse.

Maybe if Saka can't go, Martinelli will get his chance on the wing and if he takes it like he did today, Arteta can give him a shot up top when Saka returns.

maskito repped this.
  2. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think he certainly deserves a start. Even if Saka is fit, i think i would give him a rest since he and ESR have been playing so much lately.

I really like Martinelli as a ST long term. For now I think his best spot is a scoring W in a 4-2-3-1 or a ST in a 4-2-2-2.

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    You see what a difference a mobile striker who can run in behind AND assist with the buildup can do? Get AubaZette TF outta here. Start Martinelli

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

AubaZette should be relegated to the pine. Martinelli should start

5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 Tonerl, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Can’t believe more wasn’t made of this. It’s a penalty and a second yellow all day every day.

Edit: anybody have a good video of the incident?

6. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The live match feed didn’t show many replays of it. To my view, it wasn’t a clear penalty since Lascelles leads with his shoulder to play Martinelli off the ball. Even if Lascelles isn’t going for the ball, shoulder-to-shoulder is perfectly legal. That’s 100% the reason why Tavares wasn’t called for a PK against Wilson ~15minutes earlier. I’m totally fine with this consistent interpretation and application of the rule.

The real question is whether Lascelles committed a foul on Martinelli after making the initial+legal challenge. There was some sort of contact with Martinelli’s neck/cheek area, but the replays couldn’t show if any additional contact was intentional or incidental.

For me, I would have hated to give up a PK like that if it was called on Gabriel making a similar challenge, so I’ll let it go. That said, if I see more angles/evidence that Lascelles did more than I saw, then I’m definitely willing to change my interpretation.

7. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At best, the contact is defender's shoulder to Martinelli's collarbone/throat plus follow thru.
    The no call comes from the fact that the defender is basically in stride with Martinelli the entire way and sizes him up well. The reason the contact is nowhere near as clean as it should have been is because the defender never takes his eyes off the ball. In other words, he completely misses Martinelli's shoulder and the contact he makes is pretty dangerous, albeit not intended. Should have been a penalty upon review, IMO.

maskito repped this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not shoulder to shoulder.

10. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this. I didn’t see this angle on the NBCSN feed. Much better than anything I saw before I made my post.

daedalus repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hooray for our side! Had to settle for SXM coverage while driving home from a family Thanksgiving trip. The outcome made it all the more tolerable. Pleased that on the whole the team is beating "lesser" sides the way they should. Especially on the heels of a loss. Even if this edition isn't good enough to compete with Liverpool, Citeh, or Chelski, they can and should strive to be among the best of the rest. Builds confidence, as well, as they can see a difference between themselves and the dross of the league.

Up the Gunners!

daedalus repped this.
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Shoulder to head not shoulder to shoulder, and amazingly on the post match I saw they asked if the Newcastle bump in the box should have been a penalty and Howe post match thinks they should have had a penalty for something, but that dangerous hit in the head is overlooked?

In AFL, they have bumping, but the onus is on the person bumping to do it safely, if it slips high and hits in the head its usually a suspension.

So does Martinelli need a concussion before its looked at?

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another crazy aspect of this is the game was stopped for almost two minutes while he got attention from medical, so they had all day to look at it if they wanted to. There’s clearly just no appetite to legislate the game properly or to make it safer for the players.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Drives me nuts.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Why does Mikel not rate him. I'm concerned about that and Saliba.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his post-match presser, it would seem Arteta does rate Martinelli. He's just still really young.

18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And incredibly raw.

Kid has some potential but he’s not close to polished enough at this level.

Still, I’d probably start giving him games at center forward now. He’s already capable of more than the alternatives.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listening to the Arsecast and am reminded of one of my favorite moments in the match, which I think I meant to comment on at the time...

Saka's super savvy run to stay onside for his goal. He does a subtle but crucial little deke, a course correction that enabled the goal to count. I liked that almost as much as his stellar finish into the far netting.

Tonerl repped this.
  20. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I'm EXTREMELY concerned for the LONG TERM health of ESR and Saka. It's really humiliating for a club like Arsenal that these kids are integral in our team and frankly are "undroppable" not because I think they're not good, but it speaks to how lacklustre everyone else is. We gotta get SOMETHING out of Pepe if only for the sake of ESR and Saka's future.

DaPrince84, daedalus and mebeSajid repped this.
  21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I am worried we are going to Wilshere them. We really need to get rid of Elneny, Pepe, AMN, Cedric, Kolasinac and bring in depth that will actually play and can be rotated. If not Jan then absolutely in the summer.

But we need to bring in a striker and a winger in Jan to lighten the load on Saka/ESR and get some goals on the board.

DutchCane and chjoak repped this.
  22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed feelings on AMN but otherwise agree. Would add Chambers (expiring contract), Eddie (expiring contract), Mari (in the summer) and possibly Laca (expiring contract) to the list of sales. Need to get Martinelli more minutes at W (4-2-3-1) & ST (4-4-2) for rotation & development and 100% need a ST & W in Jan for rotation. Another CM in Jan would be nice but I think we can survive AFCON without it.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thankfully no Europe this season. But 3000 minutes is a lot for players their age.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since Saka was called up to the World Cup, I’ve been saying this. Burnout is a real thing and I fear it for these two.

daedalus repped this.
  25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The fact that Nkethia/Martinelli/Pepe have not given us anything for a number of different reasons individually is a huge issue.