The Arsenal vs. Hull City, FA Cup Fifth Round, 20 February 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Feb 17, 2016.

1. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think how incredibly slow he is, is going to be a problem. The majority of his passes were really soft too, but I'd imagine that was a nerves/confidence thing.

2. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all hue talk about the problems with striker and cm--- right wing production had been awful

charlie15 repped this.
  3. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the 130 minutes I have seen elneny in Arsenal shirt... He looks good
    Albeit against championship teams

4. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very average so far too be fair

5. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I've hung in there with Ox - thinking he may come good one of these days. I'm starting to waiver. :D That slash he took there near the end was pure garbage technically - schoolboy stuff. He was pointed for a shot to the corner flag. No composure.

Charlie, I would sell all three for a Griezmann. :)

charlie15 repped this.
  6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. Hopefully, more to come.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me.... I could even add a fourth one if needed. :D;)

8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yes but he's scored two of those and the English media has verbally felated him for it. Giroud put that on a plate for him too.

You mean elneny? Didn't think he looked slow, but okay. His passing was fast and crisp. Is he slower than Rambo or santi?

9. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elneny passing is quick and decisive but let's see how he does against epl press

10. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yes. I agree...or barca press :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, if he deliver against bettor opponents and considering our lack of production on the wing any chance we go to some old school formation? What about the old Diamond midfield?

-----Sanchez/theo----giroud/Danny------
    ------------ozil
    -------Ramsey-----elneny
    -------------coq

I'd rather Ramsey play there than shoehorned wide right.

11. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    Not a great result but not a bad performance either. I think Wenger got it wrong with his subs.

Play a strengthened team for the replay.

12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very pleased I chose to sleep thru this game. Our attack is weaker than Cartman's mom's child discipline.

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Quite a few? Like one or two.

Tonerl repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    With only one shot on target, how could you tell?

charlie15 repped this.
  15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Switch Ramsey and Elneny in your diagram, then with the number of times Sanchez or Theo cut into the middle, this is effectively how Arsenal play when Ramsey is on the right. :)

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    #116 crazy150, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    One cross where he should have claimed it...Kos had to clear the for a corner. It was routine and he just stood there. Maybe I'm being harsh, but not sure I agree with playing the no 2 who is probably going to leave soon in the cup games anymore.

Also the shot where the guy went for the near post from a tight angle and just missed wide--ospina was leaning towards the wrong way and left his near post open. He never would have stopped it had the shot been on target.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    True to a degree. Ramsey will always drift toward the ball which is more often on alexis' side of the pitch. If he drifts from the right, we get too crowded over there...we are left open to counter on our right. I think he would be better deployed on Kos/monreal side of the pitch vs per/bellarin.

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I just wonder what Wenger is doing. El Nenny is yet another Ramsey type. This is really maddening. We have three of the same player like are they going to just change? Become something else? I'm just lost here.

We need a real centre mid. We need a Kroos, Wiegl, Thiago of PSG, Modric but we keep getting the same hybrid box to box guy. LOL unreal.

Anyway, it is what it is. Iwobi again bigupyuhself. Thought Ox looked bright i was concerned with bringing on starters in light of the Barca game but whatever.

Chambers looked well, I'm hoping he goes on loan somewhere and plays ONE position to be a factor down the road because frankly he's the only one who plays that Kroos/Wiegl/Thiago role for us but he's just too inexeperienced.

Alexis 5 goals in 20 games. This is pretty inept. Let's hope he's saving goals for the Barca/CL games.

Forgot to add that as usual elite level chance creation torpedoed by abject poverty chance conversion, such is life.

19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 shots.
    image.jpeg

11 on target.
    image.jpeg

DutchCane repped this.
  20. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
  21. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I feel you could create an arsenal "most interesting man" meme that goes something like this: "I don't always shoot at goal, but when I do, I make sure I shoot directly at the keeper "

AW was clearly unhappy afterwards About the finishing and perhaps tired of players wetting the bed in front of the goal again. He of course noted that we won't have as many chances on Tuesday, but it would be actually nice to take at least one or two of them

22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    LOL yes elite finishing is something that you either have or not its also a thing with the team where it appears and correct me if im wrong they score in bunches and run hot/cold which sucks

23. oliver-94

oliver-94 Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought the starting XI was fair. I wanted to rest players before the Barcelona match and the players that were called upon today had enough quality to hurt a second string Hull City. And to be fair, they did hurt them but unfortunately, their keeper suddenly turned world class. Today showed that we lack natural goal scorers. We could have avoided a replay considering how busy our fixture list is shaping up. I'm hearing the Swansea game could be postponed :(

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that it could be, it has to be. The replay will be in that slot. I'm just hoping the Swansea match won't fall in between Sp*rs and West Brom, because that would give us about 7 straight weeks of midweek games. We're going to need the rest that was coming after White Hart Lane.

25. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States