The Arsenal vs. Brighton & Hove Albion, Carabao Cup Third Round, 9 November 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0B17421F-49BC-482C-AEC1-5EF79F502228.jpeg

Ashburton Grove hosts a 7:45pm GMT/2:45pm EST/9:45am HST kickoff. ESPN+ provides the moving pictures in the States (maybe?).

I don’t care about this at all and wouldn’t mind punting on this competition entirely. I suspect we’ll see the same kind of rotation we’ve used in Europe, with 5 or 6 outfield changes and Turner coming back in nets. I guess while we’re here, might as well beat these mugs.

Up the Arsenal.​

GunnerJacket, NorthBank and maskito repped this.
  2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently no is the answer on coverage in the States. ESPN+ is giving us Wolves-Leeds, City-Chelsea and Liverpool-Derby. The rest are SOL.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. For some strange reason I thought we had a rare week off before our next match. How silly of me.

I don't think I've ever been as clear-minded about the EFL Cup as I am this season. Put out the kids (literally) and if we win fine, if we lose fine.

Well that'll save me some time on Weds! ;) I guess the fact that we won't be shown has less to do with ESPN's choices than it has to do with decisions that UK TV companies make about which matches are broadcast?

4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My boy Matt Smith is finally gonna get some minutes?

daedalus repped this.
  5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it. Even if we go all change we can play Elneny, Sambi and Vieira in midfield, and I suspect Arteta will want minutes for all three.

daedalus repped this.
  6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Play the U15 squad for all I care, this competition is last on priority list by a wide margin.

Tonerl repped this.
  7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it feels like that group-stage-with-elneny-injured was the window for smith and it didn't even seem close to happening.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still salty they gave that 15 year a run out just for shits and giggles and my boy Matt Smith has been with the club since he's 7 years old can't get a whiff.

Booooooo!

Tonerl repped this.
  9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i just want to see all the first XI rested. like @Tonerl said, elneny-lokonga-vieira makes the most sense in midfield since they need game time anyway. nketiah up front but i'd love to see nelson-marquinhos on the wings. but maybe nwaneri cameo? tomiyasu's question mark makes the fullbacks more of a question mark and i hope both gabriel and saliba gets a break.

we've had a lot of kids training with the first team lately, maybe this will be their actual chance?

10. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really should have done without this competition this year with the winter world cup mucking everything up.

Subzero repped this.
  11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's fairly big opportunities for smaller clubs. i can't see them just scrapping it.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or as the EFL would probably see it, screw you FIFA for forcing through this massively disruptive winter WC, we're not cancelling our "little League Cup" because of you. And can you blame them?

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it doesn't even have to be a "screw you FIFA" thing. the so-called "top six" in the premier league may consider it a "little league cup" but it isn't for the smaller clubs and, especially, lower league clubs. these are chances for them to make money.

and, unlike spain, the FL will do much to placate them as we can see from how much longer it's taken for england to adopt the 5 subs rule for their sake versus other countries and competitions.

14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Careless Cup. Play the kids, because the Prem/EL is the focus.

15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I expect rotation, but I don't expect a joke team. Winning is a habit, and Arteta is an intensively serious person.

daedalus repped this.
  16. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    There was a proposal in the summer that any English clubs playing in a European competition would field their U21 squad in the League Cup.

Will be interesting to see how much effort Brighton put in to it, they are fighting for a top 7 spot in the league this season and may not want the distraction either.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As there seems no way to watch this from USA (at least legally or without VPN-ing) I'm assuming that we can listen to audio coverage on Arsenal.com?

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A. No outdoor shots today, but our office is doing it's annual staff Thanksgiving luncheon, so another casual day for moi. Hope to be able to track the match via thread and PbP.

B. Vamos, Arsenal!

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is pretty much the rotation I expected, except that Hein is GK instead of Turner (maybe that was the plan all along but Matt probably could use the PT given the impending WC?), plus Tierney & Saliba are being "risked". No U23/reserves in the squad really, except Hein.

upload_2022-11-9_13-53-49.png

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
  21. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This game isn't watchable at all... not even illegally lol

Wow investigating further, the schedule is disgusting. There are games Jan 1-7th, how the hell are fans supposed to watch these? The clubs are ok with 2/3 full stadiums?

GunnerJacket repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just started listening... Alladiere's lovely French Cockney accent. :)

Sounds like some shooting actions have been happening. Not clear if either team is on top.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Eddie! From Nelson. That’s all I got

Edit: Henry-esque they said. :)

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1. Hein slips, brings down Welbeck in the box. PK converted. Only good thing is no red card.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why is He in starting over Turner? Wouldn't the latter need some reps?