The Arsenal vs. Brentford, Premier League Matchday 23, 19 February 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Feb 17, 2022.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more done with the modern offside rule, and especially "inactive" players not triggering offside. Drives me nuts that.

Deep Wilcox, daedalus, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    daedalus repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’m a little concerned about the ease with which Brentford were splitting White and Gabriel with balls over the top in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the game. Not sure my heart can take 15 more of these with the Champions League on the line.

daedalus and cooper7d7 repped this.
  4. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's just one of the risks when you out both your fullbacks up the pitch. It's what having athletic CB is important in this style of play.

They and the GK also have to be confident on the dribble because there isn't the normal safe pass to the fullback available. Thankfully there isn't a glut of great CFs in the modern EPL.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was what Matt Spiro was highlighting about Saliba's game on yesterday's Arsecast. Marseille play up high a lot and the CB's are often left all alone, but his speed and athleticism can cover for that. I think that's what he was saying and why he's a nailed on starter week in, week out.

Serengeti_Boy, daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  6. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Yes. He is fairly fast and is nimble. He also uses his body well and is hard to beat 1 vs. 1. His issue is ball-watching, at times, and being unaware of runners who are behind him.

daedalus repped this.
  7. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didn't watch the game in real time, but it looked to me Lacazette was on-side, looked behind the ball in the 13th minute. Am I trippin or what happened there?

Attached Files:

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    The commentators were instantly convinced it was offside and wouldn't count, and they never showed a good replay. It went to VAR, which of course didn't overturn, but it did look close.

daedalus and danielh repped this.
  9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Out of ESR, Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli, and Lacazette, who sits against Wolves next week? Based on merit, I don't know how you bench anyone other than the captain.

Or since Xhaka is basically playing as a left 8 rather than a double pivot with Partey, do you sit Xhaka and play all 5 of the above?

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Xhaka was offside in the buildup

daedalus, Tonerl and danielh repped this.
  11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it had to have been Xhaka who was offside when the pass was played into him, but they showed so few replays it was hard to say. Lacazette is definitely on. The commentary was focused on wether Laca was beyond the defenders and never seemed to consider that he was behind the ball.

danielh and daedalus repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith-Rowe can’t play 90, and he’s the more versatile option from the bench.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope we do t bench esr use martinelli as the sub vs wolves

esr and Saka are out wide players for the next ten years if they keep improving and stay healthy

love to see some martinelli and Pepe get some time up top

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah. while i acknowledge that the goal scorer was not offside, there was a dude that was obscenely offside standing right in front of ramsdale. like, if you're going to have a rule where someone not involved in the play can still trigger offside because they interfere with the keeper, there isn't a more blatant example than this. call it or remove it.

KevinJRogers and NorthBank repped this.
  15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i see you are new here*. no, we are the arsenal and those are not calls we get. not from the on-pitch referee, not from their assistants, and, certainly, not from whoever is manning VAR that weekend.

*i kid. i know you've been around. :)

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I stepped away from this game at 92:00, so I've only just seen the replay of the Brentford goal.

What the ******** was Ramsdale doing? I get being big, trying to block the shot, but he didn't get anywhere near the ball, and the Brentford player wasn't even moving. Bizarre goalkeeping from him.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, commentators will do mad mental gymnastics. when they finally showed replay for the scramble in front of goal with white then lacazette going down, commentator was convinced it wasn't a penalty because white's fall didn't look good enough for him.

i mean, i think the lacazette portion had a greater claim and, if they'd said that the contact on white was minimal, sure, i might disagree but i can buy that. but THE. LONE. EXCUSE. being, "yeah, his fall sucked" is bullshit.

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i'd actually love to see odegaard as a false 9 with smith-rowe moving inside to the 10.

19. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that we get a shout out in the islands.... I suppose it is because of Roger. Mahalo.

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ermagherd!! xhaka, you bastard! you killed kenny!

KevinJRogers repped this.
  21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it was neat seeing josh dasilva in the lineup. apparently, he'd been a fairly big part of their setup - 42 league appearances in 19/20 then 30 more in 20/21 - before he suffered a hip injury that kept him out for 343 days. got back 2 weeks ago and this was his first start.

and it came against us, naturally. :)

Silva 5 repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But I think limiting ESR to 15-20 mins at the end is limiting his impact on scoring goals and winning games.

IMO he’s been on the bench for too long now. It’s time for him to start, and go as long as he can, and see whether that makes us better.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. IDK it looked a little different in real time.

Ps. I didn’t know we had an official pecking order in our captains/vice captains. How does it go? Laca, KT, ??, ??

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't most teams have a Captain, VC and DVC?

daedalus repped this.