The Arsenal v. Abu Dhabi Citeh, Wednesday 15 February 2023, 1930 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Feb 13, 2023.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was on a long zoom call when that happened and it took every ounce of self control to not scream when I saw it. That kind of hesitation is just . . . so out of character for Xhaka. There's something about Man City that nerfs Xhaka: he never plays well against them.

From what I saw (to be fair, I was distracted), Jorginho was excellent and offered a level of control that Partey doesn't. He's not the athletic monster that Partey is, but he probably doesn't need to be.

I think it's that coaching in England has gotten to the point that players that can only do a couple of things well get found out fairly quickly. Eddie was good for a month and then not good at all. Huge drop in shot volume in the last four games.

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, to be clear, Jorginho was not the reason we lost yesterday. He was fine-to-good. But Partey just adds that extra bit of press resistance and getting forward quickly into attack. And in contrast to your point about Xhaka, Partey usually ups his game against City.

DutchCane and mebeSajid repped this.
  3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is what impressed me about Eddie's form earlier in the run, and what is irking me now. He doesn't get as many chances anymore. Its him.

DutchCane and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jorgy was excellent - so good to have that kind of quality to step in

Shen-O repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't suppose this is fate setting up a miraculous final day of the season where Jesus has an Aguero-esque match winner to nip Citeh for the title?

A guy can dream.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    jesus improved the whole team specially martinelli as they interchanged

the whole team is so much worse in quality since he left. God knows how we beat spurs and Utd. Any team that sits deep and is organised will trouble us. Eddie is a fine back up but nowhere near good enough to start

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that stands out to me is that with Jesus our team G > xG, whereas with Eddie the opposite is true. Can't claim to know if that's causal or coincidental. (I feel like team trends/results based on just one player in the XI or not, are perhaps not the strongest kind of stats)

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's that last part that I notice we miss when Partey's not in... his ability to quickly move the ball from back to front, and in a largely secure way. Not sure if our team performance is missing that as much as my eyes miss it.

11. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'd argue that he isn't really a "fine backup". This season he has 8 starts with 4g 0a. He also has 12 sub app with 0g 0a. I know he is still young but he is currently offering nothing off the bench and in the past he has shown that the only times when he gets hot is when he gets a run of consecutive games. I would argue that our backup needs to be a sparkplug that can provide a positive contribution as a sub or spot starter.

thebigman repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah the drop off in quality of the first 11 is bad

13. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    We need to up our midfield, and forward line with two players who can anticipate/participate in the buildup and score as well.

It sucks to lose but I think, at least the distinguished folks in here, did a good job of analyzing the shortcomings of the squad. We need one more window to be able to have the depth to compete and win consistently.

Super Llama repped this.
  14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tell me if anyone disagrees, but one thing I think I notice about the delta in quality between Eddie and Jesus is game-state related. To me Eddie is a major front-runner: his best work and output always seems to come when we’re already ahead. I just feel like I notice him on the pitch much more in those moments compared to when we’re tied or losing. A lot of that has to do with his rather perfunctory off-ball movement choices, which are always going to be more valuable when the other team is chasing. Jesus does not seem to have a major change in quality/output between game-states to my eye.

I very much doubt we will ever get another shot at the title like this one. There will be a massive shopping spree this summer and we won’t be able to keep up.

DutchCane repped this.
  15. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jorginho was mostly fine but I do think we missed Partey’s physicality on the second goal. I think if we had Partey there, they likely would not have had an extra runner on us. Jorginho has no recovery pace, which we’ve relied on in situations like that from the 6 spot this season.

16. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Oh I agree, IMO we gotta win this year but Im really thinking we will be able to compete at this level for the next few years if we get it right in the summer.

Super Llama repped this.
  17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Jesus is a world class player, Eddie is a talent in progress. So you're not wrong. Jesus ability on the ball with the pass, dribble and shot is light years ahead of Eddie, and that is not a shot it is just a fact. Also Jesus has been instrumental in all of the City title run ins so the experience is there as well.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eddie is probably a better finisher but Jesus has such a better all round game

DutchCane repped this.
  19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we don't win it this year, I don't think we will be in the picture for a title again for at least another few years. With our resources, we are just not going to be able to keep up. United look like they will be getting new Qatari owners soon, the Saudis are going to unleash if Newcastle have CL football to attract talent, Boehly has at least 1 more crazy window of spending left in him, City are going to refresh their squad so they can ride out whatever punishment the league sends their way in a year or two.

All of those teams will take giant leaps forward in the summer, and even if we get everything right, relative to what the others manage, we will be losing ground. I expect Kroenke probably puts us up for sale in the next 24 months, even if we win the league this season. There is going to be no room at the top of the league for teams who don't have access to an infinite transfer budget.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Kroenke is addicted to team ownership. He owns Arsenal, the Los Angeles Rams, the Denver Nuggets, the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, the MLS’ Colorado Rapids, as well as an Arena Football team and a professional Lacrosse team. Kroenke is someone who accumulates professional sports franchises, he doesn’t sell them.

With respect to other teams splashing money. Chelsea have splashed more than half a billion BPS already. If they do that again they may have some of the same problems with the Premier League City are facing. One possible and appropriate punishment for City would be a transfer ban.

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    None of his teams play in loosely regulated leagues where the competitors are all state funded sports washing projects. I don't think there will be room for a team in the "Big 7" who is not getting pumped full of cash and resources by their owners.

22. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This feels to me like it’s Stan’s hobby. He gets some kind of kick out of owning professional teams. Who else owns teams in four major sports. I don’t see him selling anytime soon.

As far as profligate spending is concerned, I think Todd B has stepped on the trip wire, both the premier league and UEFA are almost forced into doing something. The premier league is already doing something about City and I won’t be surprised is they come after Chelsea too.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Missing Jesus though .. so unfortunate really as was the fluke injury to main-man Partey in the very last training session

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    So many are saying that Arsenal have a game in hand yet in theory you can say that the game is away to ManCity soooooo

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Fascinating .