The Arsenal at West Ham United, Premier League Matchday 29, 21 March 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Mar 19, 2021.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC highlighted how the origin of this goal was that Luiz, Chambers & Partey all got caught out of position, playing pretty high up at 40-45 yard line. Luiz got dragged out to RB position, Calum never really recovered so Partey filled Luiz's CB position which left the space for Lingard. Right before the shot Chambers tried to pressure Lingard but it was too late, and Jesse was too good. Granit was in the vicinity but I guess he figured Calum was closer to the shooter so he held his zone.

In the end it was fine margins and a fantastic strike, but losing our shape right at the start is what enabled that.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Outside of the comeback, it was the first time I can remember Arsenal looking like a big team with the ball. They pinned West Ham into their defensive third after it was 3-0, and the Hammers couldn’t do much except for a couple of counter attacks, albeit they almost scored on one.

That was a big dog performance, and I was happy.

3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not a lot, but I think there are lingering tendencies when things get bad. I also 100% think that general fatigue played a big part in things getting bad on this occasion.

yossarian repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #179 NorthBank, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    I'm listening to the AV pod and Clive is absolutely gushing with how Partey played in the last 60 mins or so. I must say I didn't quite notice this live (I noticed Odegaard's performance more), but then again I've gotten bad at not giving the match my undivided attention lately, especially when we're building out from the back. But his praise really makes me think about doing something I practically never do... rewatch the match. Hmm...

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll hate to hear this, but the numbers back up Clive's take.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ll hate to hear this but I already knew that and I didn’t hate it. :)

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was looking at these last night.

Given Partey's strength on the ball and ball progression to generate final 3rd entries, it would seem a better midfield partner for him would be someone mobile, with good defensive skills an good short passing.

it's shame Douzi turned out to be a muppet. LT is all wrong - too slow on the ball.

But in any event, Xhaka is less than ideal IMO. Poor defensively, slow, needs too many touches on the ball, And his upside, we don't need.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. I'm all about growth.
    :D

9. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Watching the gears in Xhaka's brain churn is painful, only for him to make the pass the whole world saw 3.5 seconds earlier. If Xhaka was get El Neny time I think people would have a much lower evaluation of his ability. But of all our starting 11 it's hard to show how much of a drag he is on the whole machine.

I'm curious about Guendo's private life how is he in such poor control of himself. He'd be a good partner for Partey, and Odegaard, it's annoying he's picked up Xhaka's turn around and fall over the ball move though.

Also is there any evidence Luis has been better than Holding? Maybe it's just my feelings but we look much less stable since Luis has been back from injury.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my issue with xhaka as partey's partner is partey will be spending most of his time and energy covering for holes in xhaka's game - and he seems capable of doing it - instead of maybe being the dynamic midfielder we hope he can be.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as a passer, yes. david luiz is a good passer from the back.

as a defender, no. never.

ever.

he is just barely better than an orange cone or mustafi defensively.

NorthBank repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what in the name of actual fuck?

reading art de roche's article, aubameyang started on the right?!?!?!?

we have saka who has been brilliant on the right and aubameyang who excels from the left but has never shown to be particularly good on the right on the pitch at. the. same. damn. time. and arteta decides . . . . hey, let's play aubmeyang on the motherfucking RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Given how physical Antonio and Soucek are, I’m perplexed Arteta didn’t start his two most physical defenders, Gabriel and Holding.

BTW With respect to Luiz’ passing range I think we’re looking at his history, not his current form. Per whoscored.com this season he has completed 42% of his long pass attempts. Holding is at 46% and the player Arteta deemed not ready is completing 65% of his long passes in France. Luiz may be capable of pulling off more spectacular long passes than Holding or Saliba, but what’s the last time you remember a spectacular long pass from Luiz?

All that aside, Arteta does have a preference for experienced (over the hill) players.

NorthBank repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think their ability in the air and cresswell's ability to deliver is likely why mari and chambers were in.

can't say specifically but more recent than luiz's last meaningful and actually threatening free kick? :D

unfortunately. :cry:

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It’s more than just Antonio and Soucek’s ability in the air, they are also very physical players, which makes them dangerous both in the air and on the ground. Mari makes sense if you’re facing Peter Crouch, but Gabriel is not only Arsenal’s most physical defender, he is also good in the air and Holding is clearly more physical than Luiz.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    can't argue with you on gabriel over mari. my thinking (that i failed to convey) was that maybe he was less concerned about them and felt they were the team to rest gabriel/give game time to mari in.

absolute agreement on playing holding instead of luiz . . . like, ever. but arteta is apparently in the "but david luiz is healthy! he must play!" camp. and i have zero justification for it.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I'm a little perplexed at how Holding is kinda locked out since his concussion. He had been on a really good, consistent run of form before that. And I certainly had a little hope to see him in the XI vs Hammers, for the reason you stated. But Arteta sure does seem to love Luis... whatever that is based on. At some point in the season I decided I'd had enough of Luis and would like to see other CB's get more of a chance. Mari has, which pleases me, but not Holding for some reason.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal are top-4 in the ESR era.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We'd be in top 4 contention if not for the dreadful start

maskito and Silva 5 repped this.
  20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The “Top 4” for the second half of the season trophy.:rolleyes:

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #196 NorthBank, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Speaking of alternate tables, here is NBC's new Player Power Ranking. Sure we can take it with a few grains of salt, given the source, and it's only a brief snapshot in time. But when it landed in my email inbox and I noticed the picture of the #1 player I did a double-take! I wonder when the last time Arsenal had a #1 in this table, let alone 4 players in the top 20. :D

upload_2021-3-24_17-34-21.png

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/03/23/premier-league-player-power-rankings-list-top-20-analysis/

Edit: "Interesting" that Laca made their top 20 but Partey did not.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean imagine if we had 2 guys like Partey

23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of them would have to want to defend.

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, if they lose 3 in a row it's back to 8th place. I hate partial season tables because it doesn't take into account who you've played. Our big "run of form" after Christmas was because we played bottom 5 teams for a month.

25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i would not say no! but a partey is not easy to come by. or cheap.

absent that, i would be decently pleased with a true 6 who can recycle the ball and having partey and odegaard/smith-rowe partner in sort of a partnership going forward.