The Arsenal at Newcastle United, Premier League Matchday 37, 16 May 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, May 13, 2022.

1. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm glad I missed this one. What a gut punch.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Xhaka apparently going off on his teammates in the post match interview. I’m not sure exactly what he did for the cause today. I didn’t see him controlling the midfield.

3. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5th is not too bad. But to lose top 4 the way we did and to lose it to Sp*d really sucks.

KevinJRogers, danielh and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Whether you agree with Xhaka or not, it doesn't do the club or the dressing room any good for him to throw his teammates under the bus publicly. Do it behind closed doors, fine, but this isn't what a leader does.

This team needs better leadership than Xhaka can provide if they want to succeed.

casoccerdad47 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given how fans are unloading on the team and staff all across social media, I don't begrudge Xhaka for being pissed, as well. Frankly, the team has often been criticized for being so complacent after losses that his comments are a bit refreshing. I know I'm angry, and I want the team to be angry. I want them all to make sure they don't forget the taste of this so they can hone their approach next time under pressure. Sure, his choice of words is imperfect, and Lord knows he's sometimes real poor at channeling his emotion, but I'm glad someone on the team is taking this as hard as I am. Lord knows what I'd say if I was in his place.

daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  6. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going in I thought fifth would be about the best we could hope for, so truthfully, it's still an accomplishment in terms of the table.

But, man. We went 4-0-5 over the last nine games. I know, I know -- injuries were a big factor, especially losing Thomas Partey for the remainder of the year, our rock in the middle. That was deadly. And we're very young.

Yet ... it's the way we went down. Big games, big flameouts. Winnable games and we gagged. We had every opportunity and just blew it. That stings.

I'm with Gunner: "I want them all to make sure they don't forget the taste of this so they can hone their approach next time under pressure."

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The strange part is, they won the games we didn’t expect them to win.

Looking at this result in terms of the project, while not having Champions League football may limit potential transfer targets, the Europa League many be a better fit for the this young team than the Champions League, Arteta clearly doesn’t like to rotate unless he has too because of injury. If Arsenal were in the Champions League, I wouldn’t put it past him to load Saka up with every Premier League and Champions League game possible as long as he is heathy. He will have to learn to rotate and he’ll have to learn to trust some of his younger players, possibly including some academy players. He is much more likely to loosen the reins playing in the Europa League group stage than in the Champions League group stage.

KevinJRogers and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would’ve taken 5th at the start of the season but the context of that has changed with how shit we have been and the lack of investment in January

This club is not proactive at all. Win two games in a row and everything is amazing, arteta is the next pep etc

this club has been this way since we moved to the emirates (been there once, soulless stadium, awful atmosphere)

the pitch is too big. How imposing the fans were at Highbury really helped the team

this club is pretending it’s something it’s not. We are not a contender, with European football this is probably a 7/8th place team

the culture hasn’t changed.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Getting 5th is a disaster as this season was the big opportunity for top 4 with Man Utd having thown it away early and Spurs in a hot mess. Then Arteta went and dropped 9 points against cannon fodder from a handy lead with games in hand.

Now Arsenal will have to hope two out of Utd and Chelsea and Spurs are crap next season, while having another poor financial year.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's just a sign of a young, inexperienced side.

But it's a failure of transition.

Of the supposed leaders of the team, Xhaka is crap, Partey got injured, Lacazette is laughably bad and Auba was sold.

That is the fault of the front office and arteta

casoccerdad47 and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be the "front person for a horrible repressive regime that just bought a football club for sports-washing purposes" thing that makes her seem obnoxious?

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd recommend watching the interview rather than reading about it. In the context of the questions he's actually being asked, his answers are much more measured than the Twitters are making them out to be. He acknowledges it was a collective failure.

daedalus, NorthBank and chjoak repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I turned the game off after the second goal, so I didn’t see the interview. Thanks for the persoective.

14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Sold???:p

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And keep in mind, I'm saying this as someone who wants a Xhaka upgrade this summer. But I can't find much fault in his words yesterday or in his effort expended these last couple of months. For all the issues I may have with him --- the dude cares.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Arteta doesn't rotate period. Saka will suffer more playing in Europe in Thursday then EPL on Sundays.

daedalus repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bone Saw FC

daedalus repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh yeah :D

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saka isn't going to play in the NIT next season.

Didn't really watch the game that carefully because of conference calls. The way this happened really sucks, but I think there's a lot more positive this season than negative.

That said, we're bummed because of the way the last two months unfolded, and here's the problem: Arsenal this season can't chase games. At all. It's all fine and dandy to be great when it's 0-0. But you've got to be able to score when behind, and the failure to sign a striker in January is a huge part of why we're so bummed today.

casoccerdad47, Super Llama and yossarian repped this.
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did you think this team would finish fifth in August? September? October?

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arteta didn't have much of a bench to use in rotation. A problem partly of his own making, but still.

Now, if Arsenal can improve their bench this summer and he still doesn't rotate, then yeah that's a problem.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I honestly believe we'd all be much more content with the final standing if not for the fact that it's S***s pipping Arsenal for 4th right at the end. Had it been any other side, or if trip to S***s came earlier in the season as scheduled, this might not feel like such a collapse.

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’d probably be equally upset if it were United, but at least we have them to laugh at this season.

daedalus and Tonerl repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I hoped super league Stan would get relegated.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think i posted in the other thread so x-posting here

Arsenal were 6 points up on Spurs with a game in hand in mid march.

So they've dropped 8 points and the extra game

I don't think it makes sense to go on expectations at the start of the season when that was the context. Spurs got off to a shocker, got a top manager and got it done.

Arsenal bottled 9 points in a row against lower ranked sides, then bottled the run in

Signs of inexperienced team, lack of depth, and poor management.

daedalus repped this.