The Arsenal at Manchester United, Premier League Matchday 14, 2 December 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Nov 30, 2021.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nah, don’t give Wumger a pass for Laca. He avoided buying others for years and even Laca for cheaper. That’s on Wumger.

daedalus repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep. After dithering for years over him.

Remember he also tried to panic buy that other French dude for 90m

daedalus repped this.
  3. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thomas Lemar. Woof. That would’ve been a cluster fcuk

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It is fascinating (if morbid) to look back at that time post 2013 (IMO the '13 team was the last quality Arsenal side).

I know I always harp on about the Maric article in 2014 - but what he was talking about - obviously heavily influenced by the ideas of Pep, Rangnick and Klopp - has effectively become a recognisable german school over the last decade.

Arsenal & Man Utd really failed to import that kind of thinking whereas Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea did.

I also think it's quite significant that Pep was in the Bundesliga for 3 years - not only because he broadened his own approaches there, but also because the german's were exposed to some of the Spanish ideas around positional play (remember Pep's Barca were pressing way back in the day).

DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

Nah fam he made so many “paralysis thru over analyzing” things only to “course correct” with last minute sh** buys. Midfielders with broken spines, out of shape left backs smh

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Also too much micromanagement.

When SAF entered his banter years, he realised he was becoming a dinosaur, and hired proper first team trainers like Carlos Q and then Rene Meulensteen - those guys basically ran the first team tactics, not SAF.

Football's become too complicated for one guy to run all the detail - I think you could see a similar mistake under OGS where tactically the team was just a hot mess because he didn't bring in people with the right expertise.

Moyes made the same blunder when he sacked Meulensteen

Pep on the other hand is very much a first team trainer - that is his absolute focus.

daedalus repped this.
  7. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Jitty as much as people drone on about German play I find that most of the players in Bundesliga are overhyped the transference of output form le

Yes it's all about delegating and then focusing in on what your strengths are as a coach which is coaching the 1st team. It's hilarious how the media has done a 180 on ManUtd but what else is new. I fully expect them to get Top 4 because the EPL brand depends on them being Top 4 if they're not consistently top 4 you lose about 90% of the world's incells especially now that Cristiano is over there.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It’s a fraud’s league

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OMG

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think that's my biggest issue with the lacazette buy. i get that all transfers are gambles and some work/some don't so a high price buy not working out (as long as it's legitimate, ie, not pepe's) is something i can deal with. but we were doing the transfer equivalent of "he loves me/he loves me not" game for years and passed on him only to buy him once he was expensive. that part irritates me.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i feel like this was highlighted with pat rice being his ed mcmahon for years and they got on famously because i guess he never disagreed with wenger before bould took over and they apparently clashed because bould dared to have his own thoughts.

NOTE: i'm not trying to claim bould is some type of tactical genius. only pointing out that wenger never relinquished any control and could not take someone having dissenting thoughts.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, wow. i remember the name. it that point, it felt like his hype was on the same level as martial and mbappe, yeah?