The Anti Chicks-with-Acoustic-Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by GringoTex, Aug 15, 2002.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem is mission creep.
    Allison Krause: NOT a CWAG. Plus, she doesn't suck.
    Patti Smith: Sometimes a CWAG, but her essence is really electric, isn't it?

2 names were not really requests for exemptions, but suggested as examples of liminality, CWAGWITUSBSAN (CWAG-who inhabit-the-uneasy-space-between-suckiness-and-nonsuckiness):
    Iris Dement: nonsuckiness: good debut, totally doesn’t take herself seriously; suckiness: one good song since debut and I forget what it is
    Tish Hinojosa: nonsuckiness: mex-tex, saw her at the same concert as Michelle Shocked and she was definitely better than that; suckiness: lapses into 60’s coffeehouse mode too much.

Others
    Melissa Auf Der Mer: Sucks, if only because of her stupid name
    Dixie Chicks: stupid name X 3, they suck
    Patty Loveless: good name, some good stuff, a CWAGWITUSBSAN
    Emmylou Harris: solid, gold-plated nonsucky CWAG
    Janis Ian: At Seventeen-good, Society’s Child-uh, okay given the era; that whole bandwagon lesbian thing? Sucks
    Aimee Mann: not enough data, but the name is borderline (parents probably named her after Aimee Semple Mcpherson, which means they were weirdos or drips, which means…)
    Dido: um…too easy
    Tracy Chapman: some of her stuff is downright boring, but “Fast Car” makes her an untouchable: free pass to nonsucky status
    Kelly Willis: not enough data
    Ani Difranco: pisses too many people off to suck, she must be doing something right
    Joni Mitchell: like Allison Krauss, doesn’t really fit the category.
    Joan Baez: helped establish the CWAG type, sounds like she sings with her eyes squeezed shut, engages in Cause Hopping, warbles, doesn’t write her own stuff…in a word, sucks. Might be the MOACWAGWS.

2. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Auf der Maur is a bassist and therefore doesn't technically fit the description of the thread.

3. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    She's not a chick with an acoustic guitar per se, though. And besides, Til Tuesday were decent enough and she sang backing vocals on a Rush album.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually, what are the rules on performers who aren't guitarists but still fit the 'annoying girls with acoustic guitars' category, e.g. Tori Amos?

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Tori Amos would definately fit this thread, perhaps a mod should rename it "Annoying Chick Musicians"

6. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going back to the chicks-with-basses-that-rock sidethread, I'd like to recommend Fontaine Toups of Versus (I think she was also in Air Miami for awhile).

I had a humungous crush on Fontaine for a long time. Versus is a good band but I saw an inordinate number of Versus' shows due to my admiration of the lovely Ms. Toups. Plus, Fontaine Toups is a great name.

Murf

[​IMG]