Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He’s talking about 1 goal and 3 assists all season. 15 league games and 6 champs league.

superdave repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1468857498442555392 is not a valid tweet id

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    On one play, Aaronson did well to get clear at the top of the box but chose to shoot (it was blocked) rather than layoff to wide open teammate. Was unfortunate choice I thought.

(Around 1:30 in his video highlights above.)

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game and remember that play. I too thought the pass was the better option but I don't think it was a terrible decision.

dark knight and Dizi repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had two shots blocked, and one was the one where he really should have passed the ball instead. However, I will say that I was impressed with the power on both of his blocked shots, and that he's feeling confident at trying to rip it (both shots appeared to have on-goal trajectories). I can't really remember seeing him strike a ball with that force before--he's always been a finesse shooter. I'll call it an improvement in the shooting department, even if he definitely should have passed on the one opportunity.

dark knight repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Excellent game from Aaronson by all appearances. It's hard to believe all these highlights are from just one game! There are more notable plays in this than the whole season highlights of Taylor Booth that someone posted recently.

RunthePoint repped this.
  10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    drawn against Bayern Munich in CL.

They'll get beat, of course, but it will be a great education for Brenden in terms of tactics and movement at the very highest level of European soccer. Hope the kid can take whatever occurs in stride and just relax/play his game. Nothing to lose and he'll get his 1 day PhD in soccer that day.

If he shows really well, might get on the radar of even more top clubs in Europe for a summer purchase.

Would love to see Brenden go to the French league next, where he could run the show for some team.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaronson can make a bigger leap than the French league. BVB/RBL/BMG/BL or top 8 EPL move seem right.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be so interesting to see him in La Liga.

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I wonder if Salzburg will try to hold onto Aaronson longer knowing they're going to sell Adeyemi soon and for, presumably, a large fee

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    He can, but the key is finding the right club situation and becoming a key cog and not an accessory, which seems to happen to often for our YAs

Would prefer more responsibility in a bit lesser league.

15. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Sorry for the 2 part post, but I think it all depends also where you see his best position.

I see his best career as a Modric-type in the middle, not as precise/incisive with passing (maybe that comes?), but faster. The exquisite positioning he could learn over time.

So this leaves him fewer options in the teams you mentioned. He's not going to 'own' the center of the pitch off the bat (for most/all of the clubs you mentioned) and will have to bide his time (similar to Reyna at Dortmund).

Hence, I'd prefer a Euro league French club where they believe in him to run the show from the middle vs. playing outside mid or winger somewhere else (where, again, he may be spare parts the first year or 2).

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    KenC, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    He's good for 1 heel pass a game.

Jazzy Altidore and tomásbernal repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Leipzig ready"?

19. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    RBL would be the natural progression if they think he’s ready. He has made a huge leap over the past 12 months, that’s for damn sure.

LouisianaViking07/09, mace and ShortyMac repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Making the Leip-zig to the big time. Then Paxten goes to Salzburg and they save on Jerseys.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to RBL would be great if he gets to play. I am perfectly content with him remaining at RBS for the remainder of the season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Same here!

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand... RBS drawing Bayern means that he will only get two more games in Europe this year [because there is no way in **** that RBS beats Bayern.]... if he went to RBL I think he would stand a good chance to play more in Europa League. At any rate, I still think he has things to improve on... particularly his finishing. So I still think remaining with RBS as the #1 option at the 10 slot is a good idea. For sure better than possibly getting minimal minutes for RBL. I mean, who are they going to sit in favor of Aaronson? Not sure how long until Olmo comes back but he isn't going to play over Nkunku.

usnroach and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agreed on all points. He also has a very, very heavy shot, surprisingly so given his size. If he can get some of those on goal as opposed to off target or blocked, he'll reach double digits in goals most years.

25. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can move in Jan he should do it. Has 5 months to train and prepare with RBL even if he doesn't play much, and then will have a full preseason in the summer, which means he can fight for a starting spot.

I think it would be riskier to go to RBL in the summer and have zero playing time when trying to make the 23 for Qatar.