Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he really tore a thigh muscle it's gonna take more than 2-3 weeks for that thing to get right. Here's hoping he doesn't have McKennie blood though so our boy can play a bit. Gute besserung!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Hobo repped this.
  2. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    1364640405988368387 is not a valid tweet id

Not sure if this was ever posted, his Villareal highlights. A good watch before tomorrows game.

While not really a great game by any means, I thought he held his own against his first game against legit upper tier European talent. 1:18 was a perfect RB System turnover and a great through ball that should have been a goal.

While he is getting better with physical play, 0:12 shows him up against I assume the LB and doing well at first but then the LB gets handsy and pushes him off. However at 1:38 its round 2 and he does better to hold the ball and continue possession.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting! I had been looking for these highlights. With the higher level opponent than the number 2 club in Austria he faced last weekend, he still managed to create some and add some useful flair and trickery. He's so quick of thought--always either seems to know what he's going to do before receiving the ball, or finds a way to make something work.

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    The American havertz set to have more Europa league minutes than havertz himself has premier league ones under tuchel

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Super quiet from Aaronson, not much from him other than his usual presence pressing and one or two quick touches.

Most of Salzburgs danger is coming from the right thanks to Mwepu and Kristensen, both of who look like real good players, and its leaving Aaronson alone on the left.

And when Salzburg do have the ball, or other times due to situations where Daka rotates out for pressing, Aaronson is playing in the striker spot pushing the two CBs, so he isn't able to drop back or look for the ball. I would notice the same thing in Philly, so it must be a tactics thing. I guess his coaches see him more dangerous in transition and running behind instead of dropping back looking for the ball.

edcrocker and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Yeah not a ton from Aaronson. But he’s popping up. It is a pleasure to watch Salzburg, it’s a shame that if they lose today there won’t be easily accessible meaningful games to watch from them for a year. They play soccer that is fun to watch. I’d like to see more Americans go to Salzburg.

edcrocker repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was not good from what I saw. It was a decline from previous appearances, in European & domestic competition. Could have used a rest going in to maximize his effectiveness. Now he'll get it.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he looked so good playing more centrally so not sure why marsch changed what worked

Gacm32 and edcrocker repped this.
  11. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    From the sounds of things its not like things got any better for Salzburg after he left. Seems like they just went up against a better team, Emery has won the EL 3 times so he knows how to coach.

I also think Aaronson has looked good on the right side as well. The left is definitely where his worst performances have been so far.

12. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    No idea what position he was playing and he didn’t either. Utterly invisible

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Just looked at the stats, 14 touches, 5/6 passing in 60 minutes. That's a big yikes. Oh well I'm sure he will grow from it.

tomásbernal repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot (or some?) of their games are streamed on whatever Eleven Sports is called now. FTF?

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That counts as "invisible" to me. Shocking given his constant participation in the last league game. By the way, where do you find these stats and can you post his from the game against Rapid Wien?

16. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    tomásbernal repped this.
  17. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, he's gonna have an off game here and there.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’ll say he looked pretty good on the press at times, but on the ball he had no influence. That sort of thing would be the opposite of what I expected coming from the player he was at Philly.

Salzburg really had a lot of the game, and Villarreal’s equalizing goal came against the run of play. The ref did not see one or two things Salzburg’s way either. Marsch was not far from being sent off.

Just like Weah’s off-the-ball work can contribute to Lille’s pattern of play, Aaronson is such a constant presser and positions himself really well as the opponent plays out. He fits in well from the off-ball standpoint.

glutton4Bolts and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    1365350212848529411 is not a valid tweet id

Hard to call it a highlights video but there it is. Atleast it gives good perspective of what happened.

ChicagoVT, USSoccerNova, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1365350212848529411 is not a valid tweet id

ChicagoVT and wixson7 repped this.
  21. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eeek.

He played as if he'd had a rager the night before. I don't know him very well, but from what I've seen he's much faster and has a quicker twitch than that.

Seems to be a good kid, so I'mma go with he might be a little worn atm. Which is real.

22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He definitely looked a little heavy in the legs yesterday

Gacm32 repped this.
  23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who didn't see the whole mano-a-mano.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, Gorky and KenC repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010