Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Honestly even if Leeds stays up it's a high risk move. Leeds would be a team that barely missed relegation and needs to bring in multiple EPL difference makers to get back to the mid table team they used to be.

In addition, and this isn't blind hate on Marsch I watched all his Salzburg games with Aaronson too, it still remains to be seen if Marsch ball is going to work in EPL and with Leeds specifically. If Marsch gets off to a bad start in the fall and is sacked before Christmas then all of a sudden Aaronson is left in a relegation battle with a brand new coach who probably has different ideas on how to play and use players.

But overall, Aaronson is ambitious and brave and I'm sure he knows this. I'm just pointing out it would be a real sink or swim moment for him.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    No La Liga or Serie A teams track the Austrian league?

3. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I listened to Sirus FC yesterday and I think it was 'Counter Attack" theorized that Aaronson should still go to Leeds even it they go down. They stated that even if they went down he could be part of bringing them back up again . I wonder whether they would have the funds to maintain a good roster and still spend what would be needed purchase Brendan. I will be the first to say I do not understand the parachute payment.

4. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Parachute payments:
    It varies slightly year to year, but if you go down, for two seasons afterwards you get a percentage of what you would have received as a full league member from the broadcast rights payments. Also, *IF* you were in the Premier League for two seasons or more before you are relegated (this would apply to Leeds), you get a payment for a third year.

Payments are 55% of that base payment in the first year, 45% in the second year, and ~20% in the third year (*assuming you qualify for it).

If you get promoted back to the Premier League in the interim, the payments stop.

freisland, gjackson2207 and SamsArmySam repped this.
  5. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Very much against the idea of Aaronson going to Leeds. Go someplace more stable in a top division in a top 5 league unless the money is just too high to say no.

CyphaPSU, no exit, gomichigan24 and 3 others repped this.
  6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Leeds do stay up and they manage to keep their core together, they'll finish comfortably mid-table. They're a good squad with good players and I think they were a victim of their own success, as Bielsa ball ran its course and they had no new fresh ideas. Would love for all of these things to happen, but agreed. If he's moving it's not to the Championship

gjackson2207 and quolo repped this.
  7. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Not a fan of him potentially moving to Leeds. I wonder if any mid-level Bundesliga or Seria A teams could afford him.

If the 30M quote is real I feel like that prices him out of what most Bundesliga and Seria A teams pay in transfer fees.

8. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    Leeds still could survive. They were doing well up until facing a murders row of teams all vying for a champions league spot or a title. Now all they have left is Brighton and Brentford and if they can somehow take points away from those two they could stay up and then regroup.

Leeds doesnt really have a possession orientated MF. Phillips is their version of Adams. They are in need of a true CAM.

9. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    I'd love to see Leeds stay up. They are such a massive fan base that the premiership looks so much better with them in it. They are 100% a 7-13 in the table team... but they have little depth. The injury bug hit them so viciously this campaign that, if they go down, it wouldn't be surprising. Very unfair, but unsurprising. If they stay up, I think BA could go there confidently that they will have a decent run in the PL without relegation scraps infecting every season.

Saying that, mehtinks BA will have more than just Leeds to choose from.

10. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Please not Leeds. I don't want to see our guys on relegation fodder anymore. I think he can make a jump to a decent mid table team in one of the leagues.

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far he doesn't jump to a mid-table team and turns it into a relegation candidate, we're ok.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To me it's about the coach (and therefore the stability). Marsch would be fine for him, but also not super exciting. But most of the super exciting coaches would be super-unikely to buy him and play him. Wish N'lands could pay enough to be a 2 year stop for guys like Aaronson. Playing on an attacking Ered side would be fun and good for him I think. But also not going to happen unless things go badly.

13. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I can't say I rate Marsch and I don't think he will last long, so that's another reason not to go to Leeds in my mind

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Brendan is a sub now it seems.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's being moved this summer.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This + there's nothing more to play for this season.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes an appearance:

1525875382737575941 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    There is no way Leeds pay anywhere close to $30 million for Aaronson if they relegate.

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is if not Leeds (and there's a decent chance they go down), where does he go instead.

20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I’d like to see him 2-3 years at RB Leipzig. Let him settle at that level for a while. We haven’t been particularly successful in transferíng players as of late.

Pl@ymaker and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Milan has reportedly some interest in his career, too.

22. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    If they want him, that would seem to be the simplest move and it would make a ton of sense.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  23. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I know it is cool and sexy for Americans to go to new-named clubs, but those clubs seem to bring a whole host of adjustment issues that our young men (for whatever reason) have struggled with. So count me against Milan.

Leipzig has had a good experience with Adams. They also were fond of Jesse (despite the firing). They have an integrated way of young incorporating players from Salzburg and believe in their quality. They will be patient with Aaronson and have a long-term plan in mind. I'd like that kind of set-up. Dortmund would be another club- even if he isn't an automatic starter.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Just spreading around minutes and keeping his minutes low as he returns from injury. He's still one of the best handful of players on the team, but he's more useful to them as a giant transfer fee that they won't risk with heavy minutes in games without stakes.