Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    How about transfer all M’glabach players to play for them?

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that to a point. However, does anyone (including the fans) really think that RB Salzburg is ever going to challenge for a Champs League title or even get past the first knock out round? Does anyone really think that even with BA they'd have a snowballs chance in the hot place of beating Bayern or really even competing? I don't think the real fans would begrudge them of selling Aaronson for 10-15M more than they paid a year or so ago. He's a great player and would help against Bayern, but ain't no one on that squad good enough to beat Bayern over a two legged affair.

Deeneaus repped this.
  3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1578 bshredder, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Of course they're the massive underdog.. but they're on the big stage. These are the game's biggest games. Salzburg outlasted Leipzig in this tournament - which I already think is great.

If you walk away from being at your best at this stage, you're putting selling above winning to a point where it shouldn't go. This isn't the Europa, a domestic league, or even the UCL group stage. This is the knockouts - the final 16 teams in Europe.

I know teams sell and are at a disadvantage until they can reload. I get that.

But it strikes me as crossing a line you don't want to cross when you can't even bring yourself to be at your best when you've worked so hard to get to this point to reach such a level.

A team that does this sets a limit to whatever they want to achieve in the sport. And then not just Salzburg, but all other clubs outside the traditional powers are kind of viewed in the same way.

4. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Right now, nope.

But you know what will ensure that never happens forever? They set a precedence that they will sell important first team players before the first round knockoffs.

For them, it certainly makes sense they want to fight and continue to grow into the competition rather than sending signals just making it is good enough.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assist:

Disallowed goal:

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    @bshredder and @JUnionFan covered the most important reason why selling is a bad idea for the club in the medium to long term. But there's also the short-term fact that Brendan isn't the only guy they want to sell on for a profit.

If Leeds are willing to pay 20 million for him, someone else will pay that or very close to it in the summer, and possibly more. So, on the Brendan side, RBS can afford to wait. Meanwhile, if him staying helps another player or two to perform well enough against Bayern to add another 5 million to their value(s) in June, keeping him around is a no-brainer from both the financial and the sporting sides.

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1490872286614024194 is not a valid tweet id

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Premier League clubs want him but I'd rather see him in La Liga or Serie A.

CyphaPSU, ChicagoVT and largegarlic repped this.
  10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I worry that he won't hold up to the physicality in the EPL.

ChrisSSBB and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and mace repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could create a Reddit Bot imitating these posts of yours and I'm not sure if anyone could tell the difference.

twoolley and superdave repped this.
  13. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KenC, ShortyMac, mace and 7 others repped this.
  14. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Do it

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    What about the Messi part?

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1492612500008882177 is not a valid tweet id

Deeneaus, Sup Bro, glutton4Bolts and 3 others repped this.
  18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah really stupid nickname.

More like the ‘Medford Modric’ makes a lot more sense

adam tash, Deeneaus and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from Weston, I am not sure there is another Yank Abroad doing better for their club than Aaronson. He had one heck of a first half against the German Giants. Great assist... awesome control/shot in tight space that was denied by the keeper... nice give-and-go service off the throw in to set up another shot on goal. Hoping for another big half and that RBS can complete the upset.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I jinxed it. Aaronson with an A in the 1st half and a D in the 2nd. Literally missed almost every pass he made and lost the ball a number of times. Why o why did RBS change tactics and sit back so much in the 2nd half? Fuggin Bayern... always get their goal(s) in the end. It is like they are God's team. If they don't do it with skill... they will surely get a lucky bounce.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to change tactics. Can't keep up an intense press that long. Wish Marsch would take note. His teams often collapse more than that after a hot start.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure it’s a Marsch thing. It’s more of an inevitable consequence of a pressing system. There hasn’t been a coach yet who can get players to effectively switch their mentality from press to not press in-game.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Narrow difference between finishing 2-0 Salzburg and tied at 1. They get the latter. Small margins when you face Bayern.

Still have a pulse and it was worth it to keep Aaronson for that chance. Next time time to potentially pull they upset they need him to keep up his form from the first 55 for all 90.