Brenden Aaronson at Union Berlin (olf Leeds)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 20, 2020.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i am not sure aaronson has demonstrated hes leipzig quality

2. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I personally think he's beyond ready for Leipzig and should make a bigger leap. Unless it's been stipulated in the Salzburg contract I'd advise him to look elsewhere (Italy, Spain, Germany or France...not England & not RBL).

Judging from his play at Philly, Salzburg and with the MNT, Aaronson seems to "play up" and match the level of those around him.

Excellency repped this.
  3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't want to see him in Leipzig. I was digging those AC Milan links.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I dont agree. His play with the USA has been "pretty good" but far from amazing. I dont see how you can say he is better than RBL. I hope for the best but that isnt what I see at this moment.

superdave and dougtee repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Based on their play on the NT nobody is better than RBL, and still some are on way better teams. His average play there might be the best of everyone except for ARob though.

comoesa repped this.
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree that Aaronson does seem to "play up" to the competition I find it hard to believe he would get many minutes with RBL right now. I do want him to take a step up in competition WRT the league he is playing in but not at the expense of playing time. I still think RBS is a good spot for him to try and showcase himself for a move in the summer.

7. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    #1457 Dizi, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    This is really a head trip cause I feel like Aaronson has been one of the best players in the squad during WCQs...are ya'll talking about spring and summer games??

For clarity...he might not be "better" than Leipzig players and to me it's honestly irrelevant. I think his skills would translate to many teams across Europe and I'd be disappointed if he limited the scope of his search to another RB team.

A more accurate statement than "Leipzig ready" would be...he's very clearly ready to leave Austria. If he stays until after WC he'll have plenty of chances to develop, play and improve but...based on his games in 2021, he doesn't need to remain in Salzburg to prove himself anymore (in my opinion).

I imagine that scouts have already noticed his team contributions while in Europe and on international duty. With the MNT he's had a couple of lackluster games that I chalk up to fatigue during covid compressed schedule but nothing alarming enough to dissuade interested clubs. His quality and ability to get on the scoresheet are impressive (to me).

I've watched all his appearances with US this year and highlights for most RBS games and expected him to struggle to adapt. Instead I've seen the opposite: he has his head on a swivel when deployed centrally, his passing and first touch seem good, he makes well-timed runs in the box and manages to slip teammates the ball under pressure & in tight spaces.

His defensive press creates the chance and he only takes one touch to spring Pefok on the counter...then followed up with a great run, simple finish

Great speed and awareness to give Pepi an option (he started that run from the center circle)...probably wanted the pass earlier and in a better position but he adjusts well to score and kill the game. With a defender closing on the pass he takes a one-timed shot (notice a trend?) placing the ball near post & high. Far more difficult than it initially looks...

Finds space when Jamaica gets stretched, perfect run, perfectly placed pass (on a platter for Pepi...i couldn't resist :D)

Here are a few RBS clips too:

Clean strike after following the play and finding space alone in the box. With a team that attacks in numbers (Salzburg and USA) he manages to slip into pockets like this when defenders are pulled to other guys...once more people deliberately mark him recognizing he's pretty dangerous, he might have to develop another approach. Or he might just have the sixth sense all great poachers do and figure out ways to get lucky / stay off their radar

Another one...keeps control and possession prior to passing away from goal, stays in a dangerous spot waiting to be fed, gets the ball and scores in two touches. A goal like this is why i'm excited and pretty confident he can step up to a better league & better club. His movements are efficient, nothing wasted...just one touch to trap the ball as he turns and that's it, his shot outpaces the defender closing in and beats the GK at his near post.

He also helped create the first goal earlier in that match (Adeyemi scores on a volleyed rebound after Aaronson forced a save from the keeper)

https://youtu.be/V32uRpnxG8s?t=272

This is a magnificent play and very well orchestrated goal...Aaronson makes himself available after the turnover, checks over his shoulder and *takes no touch* until his incisive pass to the Adeyemi! He gets no credit for the assist but his teammates, coaches and scouts all see that stuff

It's easy for fans to overlook tho

https://youtu.be/BxMnDr5HYOA?t=77

Someone posted this one above but I think it's important to note, again, how he always chooses a one-time pass or shot when possible. Letting the ball drift across to his right foot to play Adeyemi in on goal is the quickest way to get the ball thru the gap in defense.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBL haven’t been great. He would find time.

comoesa and Dizi repped this.
  9. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah I don't know how he'd fit at Leipzig but I don't doubt he is ready to come off the bench for them. The point is moot because I'd rather him stay at Salzburg till the season ends, as you suggest...but whether he leaves in January or June I think RBL is not the best destination for the guy

If he's smart he'll realize Salzburg gives him playing time and reps which will lead to continued MNT call ups. Scouts are watching US players in WCQ too and seeing that the national team manager trusts him should raise his raise his fee and wages during the summer window.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Why is his shot surprising? Shooting is largely about technique and not the size of the player.

Dizi repped this.
  11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Have to wait to see how many games RBL winning with their free-from-Merch fun time party.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Salsburg is better than Leipzig as of today, it would be in top 4-5 in BL while RBL is a midtable team. Really wondering whether RBS will look respectable versus Bayern.

Deeneaus and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  13. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a slight guy and his game is largely quick touches and quick passes. He rarely strikes the ball with full force but when he does he put upper tier mustard on it.

Deeneaus repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think he's a very good player. I also think a bit of seasoning wouldn't hurt his sauce at all. RBL wouldn't be the end of the world, but a middle step - even a bit longer where he is where he has to continue to carry the game for a while wouldn't hurt him either.

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't know that. Right now he is the #1 option at ACM for a CL level team. Going to RBL is a question mark. He might get time and make the most of it... or he might ride the bench and get garbage minutes. I think he can increase his stock by playing every game for RBS this spring and perhaps garner interest from another team in a top-5 league that sees him as a center piece.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In the flower of his youth.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares if he’s on a CL team if his completion is beneath him in 90 percent of his matches? He needs to move up a level or two. The fact that he’s performing on a CL team just shows he’s ready for RBL. He’d get plenty of time there as guys like Paulson and Forsberg are passed it.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd say remain at Red Bull for another season. He'll be a continued starter and gain more experience as it leads up to the World Cup. Once that's over, he should take the jump.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Leipzig have a lot of Aaronson-type players. Otherwise there is no doubt he is Leipzig ready. There is talk of Olmos going back to Spain. Still, when you look at Kampfl, Laimier, Haidara, Forsberg, vs the Leipzig forwards, it seems they need a striker more than another all purpose midfielder. Nkuku is seen more as a striker with his recent improvement in goal scoring (under Marsch, ironically) but i believe there may be some big bucks in England looking at him.

Dizi and Sup Bro repped this.
  20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I think that's riskier, with less time to settle in before the World Cup

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    For what it's worth, most players who grow at Salzburg usually stay for well over a year.

Szoboszlai, who was a better player than Aaronson when he left Salzburg and is still just a rotation guy at RBL, spent 2 weeks shy of 2 years at Salzburg.

Daka spent 4 years. Sane spent 2 months short of 2 years. Keita exactly 2.

The only player I found who spent 1 year at Salzburg is Haaland and well, Aaronson isn't Haaland.

Haidara is the next shortest, at 1.5 years. I am looking at their top transfers list: https://www.transfermarkt.us/red-bull-salzburg/rekordabgaenge/verein/409

I think Aaronson is playing well, but in my opinion he still could grow at Salzburg at least during the spring. He needs to continue to grow into that 10 role and needs to start to get back to putting up goals and assists.

The arguments regarding the WC and the increased quality of training are valid, but I still lean towards the side that he would not want to move too fast and throw away a great progression track.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is surprising how low Aaronson is rated on here, isn't it?

To move in January it should be a "sure thing" (if such a thing existed in Eurofootie) and by that I mean a team which has good players but lacks a straw to stir the drink, as the saying goes. It should be a pressing team, I think?

I was thinking Arsenal might offer him a good salary - they pay well. But I know they had Guendouzi who is an Aaronson type and he went out on loan to Marseilles. Aaronson is more of a direct player forward which could suit Arsenal more. Aubameyang needs service. Arteta would naturally like players like Aaronson and Adams (whom he is rumored to be courting.)

There must be other, stable teams in need of an Aaronson type. Look at what Busio did for Venezia. Gladbach could likely use Aaronson. They have some finishers who would do well with some improved "chances" of the type Aaronson can create and Stindl is getting up in age and will have to be replaced. Aaronson could do ok at Dortmund, imo. They will lose Haaland this summer (after having lost Sancho to Manu U) and be looking for solutions up front.

Dizi repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look... based on your optimistic outlook it all sounds great. Just trying to point out that going to RBL in the spring does not come w/o risk that the manager doesn't rate him all that high.

dspence2311 repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a source literally saying that he is seen within RB organization as 'Leipzig ready', guys.

Dizi and TimB4Last repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think most of us are in agreement. Now, if you can just convince @dougtee, my guess is that the rest of the doubters will come around eventually. Doug’s stamp of approval is essential, I feel.

dougtee and comoesa repped this.