The American Cable Cutter Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SpencerNY, May 22, 2015.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #551 Kryptonite, Jun 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    There is a problem when people talk about "I have YouTube cable" or "I get my cable through Hulu."

No. No they don't. YouTube TV is decidedly NOT a cable provider, no matter how much society wants to make them one.

I cut my cable in 2008 when I went to U-Verse. If this is "cable" then did YTTV customers truly "cut the cord" if they have a bundle of channels delivered via a third-party provider? I know someone who had satellite in 2002. Did he "cut the cord" back then?

In that case, is DirecTV cable?

IMO, "streaming" should be stuff like the above (YTTV, Hulu, DirecTV Stream) and "DTC" is what Peacock, Paramount+ and Max are. "Direct-to-consumer" because, well, it eliminates the middle man, aka the provider.

Linear channels should be 3-4 types, the same they were in the 90s: Broadcast, pay/commercial, premium, PPV. Broadcast is FTA like ABC or CBS. Pay channels would be channels like CNN and ESPN. Premium is stuff like HBO and Showtime. PPV is the stuff where you buy each show/event/movie individually.

To call something a "cable" channel when you don't have coaxial RG installed in your residence doesn't seem right. If you have FTTH and are getting your video content over the internet, do you really have "cable" TV?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an example of what I don't like/understand from an article about this apparent Paramount mess.

"falling cable subscriptions in the United States that has eroded profit for its TV"

So people are going away from traditional cable (Spectrum, Comcast, Cox, tiny regional/local companies) to where, exactly?

If they're going to a streaming provider, those companies (Paramount, Comcast, Disney, WBD) are still getting the money, just the same as 20 years ago when people went from Time Warner to Dish Network, right?

If 500 million people switched TOMORROW from a traditional cable (coax RG) provider to Hulu, wouldn't Disney still be paying money to the owners of the channels? Therefore, shouldn't those channels all be ok?

So where the hell are they going? DTC? 6-8 different DTC apps on 6-8 different billing cycles? Perhaps...but not all of them.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is like complaining that we say we "dial" a phone number when we actually press virtual buttons or just click on a saved contact, and then we "hang up" without actually hanging anything. Sometimes words persist in the language even when the technical reason they entered the language no longer strictly applies.

For people what are analyzing viewing data, there is a category of non-broadcast linear TV channels that are sold to consumers via companies that provide a bundle of channels for a fee. Those channels are called "cable channels" because most of them were created to be transmitted on cable. Now they can be transmitted with other technologies as well, but there's probably not much motivation to come up with a new word for this category. There have been non-coaxial methods to get these channels for decades.

4. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Some DTC / OTT streaming services also have linear channels, most notably Pluto.

Redbullsnation2012 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an odd one. We all know about the occasional disputes that happen between content owners and TV providers. We usually hear "about to expire" with no more than a month or so remaining.

Apparently Disney and Google (aka YouTube TV) are up for renewal in... December.

Why announce it now? Let us know in November. By then, they may even have a new deal in place.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-dispute-may-last-straw-065507808.html