The American Cable Cutter Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SpencerNY, May 22, 2015.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    DC United are going (have been forced into) the streaming route:

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went to FloSports, which includes access to 25 sports and costs $150 annually or $30 per month. United plans to offer a package at reduced rates.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    People bitch about cable but honestly other than the price , cable service was mostly just fine for me except for some rare hiccups . I still have cable for internet which has been solid too. People around me on google fiber keep reporting outages way more often than I ever experienced .

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Google Fiber is not what is going to kill cable.

I think it is going to be 5G Mobile Networks that could kill off cable.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strangely, FloSports lists all upcoming Coppa Italia games on their service, even though the same games are also listed on ESPN+.

6. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The Coppa Italia coverage on FloSports is for Canadian viewers only...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

Redbullsnation2012 and EvanJ repped this.
  7. MunkDogg

MunkDogg New Member

Mar 30, 2012
    It seems fubo Latino has gone up in price to $24.99 monthly. Anyone got info on this change?

8. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is only $17. Don’t think they would raise existing subscriptions but perhaps they have for new subscribers. Not sure.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
  12. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I assume they're simply trying to bring DTV Now more in line with the pricing for DTV satellite and hope it will keep current satellite customers in place rather than curious about the streaming alternatives.

If there's one thing I've realized after reading through the cordcutters subreddit it's that tons of people are clueless about how streaming devices and apps work.

beInSchwartz and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Either ATT is giving up on streaming or is very high on HBO being included now being a draw

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. They want DTV Now to be: "Directv without the equipment." Say you don't want the satellite dish in the front yard, but are attracted to the DirecTV name or just plain don't want Hulu or YouTube TV. (My guess.)

I can also see higher prices in the future for companies like Hulu and YouTube TV. As they get more customers, those customers are going to want more channels...they can't keep charging $15/mo for "Bare Bones" packages forever.

Eventually, it will catch up...but streaming options will continue to be competitive due to the ability to own the equipment. If someone can buy a Roku for $45 and they have six TVs, compared to $10-20/mo per DVR and they have six TVs...

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point this is going to consolidate, there are too many players and options.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Your infrastructure cost is also smaller than satellite and cable.

But yeah, bad business to raise prices twice in a year.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cut the cord a while back, couldn't be happier. Had Hulu Live with Philo and it had every channel we wanted. YouTube TV just launched in my area a month ago, so for $40 it was well worth it for me, I didn't lose any channels. It also includes all of my locals and the dvr is far better. The only thing I miss was the no commercial plan with Hulu that made most of the VOD stuff have no commercials.

So now I pay $40 for YTTV, $16 for Philo and $65 for internet through Spectrum, total is $121. I was paying $192 for internet and cable through Philo.

The great thing is with YouTube TV you can have 6 people on your family plan, my sister and mother are under my account so I split the cost with them for YTTV making it less than $40 for me.

Oh and I also paid $50 to subscribe to ESPN+ for a year, which has been awesome. So much soccer to watch as well as lacrosse and other sports. Best $50 I spent.

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I switched from Comcast to UVerse for Internet a few years back when Comcast started charging for cap overages. The cost to pay for a no cap plan with Comcast was too much, when Uverse combined with DTV was considered as an alternative. The tech that came out from ATT told me that from a tech standpoint they were all much happier once DTV was purchased by ATT because Uverse TV was sucking too much data that customers were complaining about slow Internet when they watched TV or buffering TV. So, I remain surprised that ATT created DTVNow to avoid costs with equipment. They're going to be back to the same problem: internet and TV both running on streams. Granted, Uverse is going to be limited compared to cable because they are using phone lines. I'm at the max speeds in my area with 100mbps down, whereas Comcast has a 1GB plan.

BTW, I'm sure most of you saw, but the FCC (and I think a supreme court or appellate court) ruled that ATT could buy TimeWarner cable, so that consolidation should have further impact on the streaming/cable/satellite market.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I just got FuboTV and I find it a bit strange to "channel surf" ... unless I am missing something. Interface doesn't seem to be live TV friendly. I will probably cancel it since I have access to Brazilian channels for most football needs ...and it works 99% of the time.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just upgraded from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. U-Verse has faster speeds, depending on if you can get FTTH.

At one point, U-Verse was going to meter their internet, but couldn't figure out how to separate TV/internet. If you have U-Verse TV, your internet is unlimited. If no U-Verse TV, you're limited to one 1TB per month. I assume DirecTV and DirecTV Now also qualify. At one point, the overage fee for internet and U-Verse's basic TV plan was something like $1 difference.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #296 HomietheClown, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    TMobile is starting up a service.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/10/t-mobile-officially-unveils-its-home-tv-service-tvision-home/

Not sure if it is a good option for us soccer fans but they say there will be 300 channels to choose from eventually. (This article does not say this but I heard from another source.)

Bad news though is that it is not like Sling or Fubo in which you can watch channels on an app for your devices. You have to watch the Channels/Networksown streaming app which is not convenient for most people around here on the go.

At Home you have to use their dedicated streaming boxes.

22. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #297 daniloni, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    It’s a rebranding of Layer3, which TMobile purchased and which has been available for a while in limited markets. I looked into it for my dad (LA was one of the limited markets.) They claimed superior PQ. They didn’t have BeIN though (even back when having BeIN was standard). If you go on the Layer3 site, they advertise about 175 channels but this rebranding promises 275, so perhaps they’ll announce new content deals with the rebranding.

My understanding also (correct me if I’m wrong) is that it’s more like UVerse than OTT. I think TMobile has cut deals with local providers to provision TV over IP. So it comes with its own box which I think is an actual DVR with local storage.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  24. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #300 HomietheClown, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Apparently it has been available since at least January (I just noticed yesterday) but "All the Goals of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil" is available to Amazon Prime subscribers in high definition.

It is a nice perk for people who are subscribed to the service who are also big World Cup fans.

Edit* "All the Goals of 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia" is also available too.:thumbsup: