The American Cable Cutter Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SpencerNY, May 22, 2015.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Going to use the Antenna for the games i'm watching live, but the bigger issue is recording the matches when I'm at work. But FUBU does carry my local Fox affiliate so may try that.

Thanks for the feedback, only issue here is Fox has the bad habit of not changing their scroll for the replay matches, meaning the final score of the match you are watching pops up about every 20 mins. Liverpool - Sevilla was only shown on replay so my friend and I ended up taping pieces of paper to the bottom of the screen, my wife thought we were both idiots.

Thanks for the reminder about watching in Spanish. Will probably just go that route, brings back some nostalgia from the 1990 World Cup.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  3. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    For a cheap antenna DVR option, I heartily recommend the Mediasonic HW180STB. It is $26 right now on Amazon and dead simple. You will also need a USB stick for storage.

The main issues with it: only one tuner. So if you want to record two programs simultaneously, you are out of luck. At $26, however, you could always get two and a splitter for your antenna. It is still going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than a TIVO.

I also am not sure if you can start to watch a program from the beginning while it is still recording. I have not tried to do this. I always record the match and then watch it later.

The Mediasonic is also quite a workhorse with regard to being able to handle different video files. I download matches on occasion and sometimes my Roku Tv can't handle certain video formats. The Mediasonic can handle everything.

owian and HomietheClown repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People with an Xbox one can also DVR over the air signals with the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner.
    That will get you a good majority of the World Cup matches between FOX and Telemundo.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As stated in a couple other threads Fox Sports Go now has replays available onDemand on their apps.

So the best World Cup option for cord cutters is Fubol TV. You do not even have to use your DVR to watch games just log on to Fox Sports Go and watch the games at your convenience on there. And if for some reason they don't have your local affiliates available you have access to NBC Sports apps' on onDemand Telemundo streams.

So basically this World Cup is a cord cutter's dream. Much better than last World Cup.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    daniloni repped this.
  8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I’m reading the link below correctly, it looks like most international packages will have the French feed or Portuguese feed added on. And the $10/month “World Sport” package will include the French feed. The FAQ doesn’t say anything about the “no commentary feed.”

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-watch-the-2018-World-Cup-on-Sling-TV

9. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    It's kind of confusing to me, I had the Brazilian channels before with Sling, I don't think that TV GLOBO or PFC have the rights to transmit the WC games outside of Brazil, unless there's going to be a special separate feed in Portuguese that they have the rights to (?)

10. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The best I can tell, it will be a World Cup dedicated channel added to each of the 4 packages that SlingTV offers (Portuguese, Polish, French & Arabic). So it's not on any of the currently existing channels. The video will be a feed of Fox and they will simply have commentators from the (Fox?) studios for each of those 4 languages.

As long as they mix the audio well (we have all experienced those awful matches where the crowd noise is turned down) it could be well received. The report from WorldSoccerTalk also mentions a "No Commentary" feed. Will this be yet another "channel" or a way to select secondary audio on SlingTV (if its possible) is yet to be seen.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

11. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I guess you are correct:

http://usa.tv5monde.com/en/content/road-Russia

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So basically instead of putting alternate language feeds online and on Deportes like ESPN did the last couple cycles FOX decided to sell the rights to sling and make some money recouping some of the costs from the USA not making it.
    Major bummer since I enjoyed watching the Portuguese feed from time to time on Deportes but it makes solid business sense.

13. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Fox could have put the Spanish-language feed on Fox Sports 1 and 2.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Telemundo has exclusive rights to any Spanish Language feeds

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cordcutterclub.com is a site I just read about it. I'm not giving an opinion for or against it. I'm just naming it as a possibility.

16. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the $10 per month “world sports” package on Sling will include all World Cup games in both French and Portuguese.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anybody using Fubo or Sling for the WC, how is the DVR function in terms of doing a quick live replay, pause or rewind ? Does that depend on the streaming device itself (roku, fire TV) ?

18. DeargGerilo

DeargGerilo Member

Mar 16, 2017
  19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It's strange that they would offer bein spanish channel but not the english channel. Once they get both, I'll consider them since they do offer the NHL network.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is kind of weird.
    Maybe it has to be done in a separate deal. If I remember correctly the way the Satellite DTV is set up if you had the Spanish package you could not get the English beIN unless you purchased the Sports package.

With Dish it was negotiated that you get both English and Spanish with the Latino package.

21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. DeargGerilo

DeargGerilo Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Yes, I checked and both are in HD.

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  23. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah... hopefully this means that they are added in HD soon on DirecTV proper or at very least are available HD on the DirecTV app... I have a grandfathered old FuboTV package just for TyC and GolTV in HD (although TyC is on Fanatiz now too).

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure someone here will tell me how:

I buy ESPN+ via my Google account. This gets me ESPN+ on my Android mobile devices.

I also want to watch via Roku. Is there a way that I can watch via phone/tablet and Roku without buying two subscriptions? Can I buy it via Roku (it seems like Roku doesn't have a $55/year option) and watch via mobile device?

25. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't you just login to your ESPN account on your Roku? That's how I do it on my FireTV

daniloni repped this.