The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well my response was certainly as far as just defending is concerned, I agree Ramos is more valuable to the team on the whole, no two ways about that for me.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Also, when he's on, his ball distribution from the back is excellent for a CB.

RMSocrates, 4x4s and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  3. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Nonsense. Pepe is our best CB and has been since he arrived here. Before that it was Cannavaro. Sergio is great but he has never been our best.

4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, hit and miss for me.

Deep Pal and Aimar 21 repped this.
  5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think all 3 of Ramos, Pepe and Varane are very adept at this and we are very lucky in that respect.

Deep Pal, Aimar 21 and temesgen repped this.
  6. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth.

7. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Varane, yes. Pepe, not so much. He hits the ball blindly upfield far too much for my liking.

saadomar, DomiM and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  8. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When this many people disagree with me re: best defender I'm tempted to just concede the point because I don't consider myself a very good talent evaluator, but I feel almost like there's some recency bias at work. Pepe was better last season but I thought Ramos was certainly better in '13-'14 and probably the year before that as well.

As others have mentioned, though, I don't think there's much of a comparison in terms of the total package and overall importance to the team. I still think Ramos is the first guy on the planet I take if I'm building a team from scratch; not sure Pepe would even be top 5.

9. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'k on the Ramos bandwagon with you but I feel like there are gonna be some people very disappointed in Perez. It will start with the players and trickle down from there. Iker, Ramos, Ronaldo, Pepe, Marcelo...I think are all on their way out within the next 12-15 months. I also don't see Benzema and Bale making it, Benzema because Benitez won't tolerate him and Bale for all his speed and stamina has no end product.

10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepe is and has been criminally underrated for some time now. If you feel Ramos is that much better, we can agree to disagree. As for Ramos being the first player you'd select when starting a team, I'd again disagree. If he wasn't a Madrid player Id say he is overrated but since he is a RM stalwart I love him, warts and all.

temesgen, RMSocrates, Deep Pal and 4 others repped this.
  11. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah I should've been clearer - first CB I'd take. I dunno you're probably right on this.

12. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, always liked what I saw in Pepe from his Porto days and was very happy he was coming to Madrid, IMO he has it all strength, speed , stamina, can take care of the ball, can play out from the back, good anticipation, good in the air, good 1 v 1, he used to be much better at set pieces in attack but that has fallen off a bit, but just a good all round defender very very underrated in my view.

temesgen repped this.
  13. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

14. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thought there was only one year, not two. Whatever, it'll get done.

15. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which is what I hinted at.

This is all part of a negotiation as this will be his last contract. It will happen in time. Has enough time left on his current deal.

16. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Ramos can save penalties, score penalties and freekicks, lead the defense and be the first one up field on the counter attack - the dude is up for anything. Yes he makes mistakes but as a player I love him. He gives everything for the club. As you said warts and all I'll take him.

Zidane05 repped this.
  17. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Those things are great but they don't have anything to do with actual defending such as positioning, marking, concentration, tackling, space coverage and challenging for the ball. All areas in which Pepe is better than Ramos at.

Ramos will always get praise for the very reasons you mentioned above as he did when we won La Decima and then subsequently winning defender of the year ahead of Pepe and Godin; but those traits doesn't make him a better defender.

18. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    The things I mentioned have nothing to do with his ability to defend, I brought them up bc for me Ramos is someone who loves football. He'll step up and take a penalty kick, he'll bomb forward to try and help the attack bc he is passionate. Its also true that he lacks focus at times, my point is simply that I am ok with it bc on balance he's not a robot, he's someone I can relate to.

Digital repped this.
  19. Castillas

Castillas Member+

May 4, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ... miss penalties... :)

20. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its really not debateable. Ask any neutral (non madrid fan) to pick between the two and Ramos is gonna be the preferrec choice, precisely because you can get any grunt to go out and bring it on defense but Sergio can ball.

21. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    That too but he'll try. If we were ever in a situation where we couldn't make any more subs and keeper was injured he'd put the gloves on and do his best. he isn't afraid to try and I respect him for that even if at times I'd prefer that he didn't.

22. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

CR7PT, Zidane05 and Digital repped this.
  23. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with him, he brings much more to this team than some of our highly valued strikers and midfielders, defender or not, and he is the leader of the team.

Zidane05 and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  24. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Players have no right to demand anything when they have 2 years left on their contract.

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    But apparently, the club has the right to try to push players out when they have two years left, or we call them mercenaries when they try to get the full value of their contracts. Funny world we live in.

Dhajj, Raul Madrid, Oscar and 6 others repped this.