The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zizou555

zizou555 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

10x horsey;).
    U are right and English is my third language but i will try to take my time and work on my grammar.
    sorry if i strayed off topic but both zizou and Real are important to me and i am highly passionate about both of them so i react and answer quickly.
    i will fix this.(are we cool laudrup? because i like the passion in u r debating)

2. zizou555

zizou555 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Ramos brought me so much joy this year,not just by his passion on the green and love for the club but also that he is considered the top young defender in the world.italo the old assistant of capello is now a Milan scout and labeled him as the best defender for that age he has ever seen.
    i also like the comment from cassillas on how cannavaro teaches our youngsters how to defend :pepe,Marcelo and Ramos.
    where do u guys think Ramos should play?RB or CB?

3. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles

Lol, bigsoccer had to buy and dedicate an extra server to handle all the posts we make about this subject. :p It's quieted down now that we have a capable group of centrebacks. But we only have one young CB in Pepe, so this will come up again in the following year or two when the older Cannas, Metzes and Heinzes leave. It depends on who is more available in the next couple years... a great RB like Alves*? Or a great CB like ____?

*I don't like Alves, but he is an excellent player.

4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

Per macaluca's instructions, the ________ is Garay. ;)

5. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

Indeed. though I also think Ramos and Pepe would be a fearsome central pairing...though that would mean finding a right back.
    (Despite laudrup's lack of faith in English defenders, how about Micah Richards? ...Now putting those three in a back four would make it one hell of a big, quick, forceful defence...quite scary.)

6. zizou555

zizou555 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i had read an article that stated while he is a great at RB,Ramos could touch the true greats as a center back.
    i agree that Micah is great so is garay and we are said to be interested in breno the Brazilian too....all young and great.but forget about who we have,where do u think Ramos would most flourish?do u agree with the author of that article?or is RB his natural position?:confused:

7. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005

^ I haven't watched Richards that often, but when I have he's been either quite good or quite horrendous. He's obviously a physical powerhouse, but I find he has a bit of a rigid waist, he turns slower than the seasons. This is not a super-informed opinion, maybe I'll watch a bit more EPL during the Xmas break, I've been neglecting it lately.

Following our discussion with Bernabeu about what it takes to be a RB, I would rather sign a "real" RB than one of these combo defenders that are so en vogue these days. It's all about Alves, methinks.

That said, I'm much more comfortable with Ramos at RB now that we have Pepe... but I still think putting a tremendous player for whom we've payed a king's ransom at RB is a bit of a waste... you know what I think of RBs.

8. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

Does that mean that as a left back I'm excused. :D

Yes you may be right in that Richards like Ramos, will more likely end up as a CB...though when discussing him, we have to remember he's still only 19.(Richards I mean)
    I, like you, think that playing Ramos at RB is a bit of a waste...but at the same time I can't think of many others who could play the position the way we are asking him to. I was astounded on Saturday to see the amount of the pitch he had to cover.
    Maybe Alves could be up to the job (though he would need an improved Diarra in the middle and a lot of cover from Pepe....and if we look beyond him as an option, I'm struggling to think of anyone else.
    Another CB in the mould of Garay, would certainly lessen the need to move Ramos, and I'm inclined to think that this will be the route we take over the next few seasons.
    However, long term I am sure Ramos will end up at CB.

9. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait

Quite a debacle, at the end of the season, or whenever Fabio5 leaves, who will it be, Garay & keeping Ramos at RB, or Alves & move Ramos to the center.

10. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This debating all should've been ended had we kept Cicinho, who functioned as a fully capable right-midfielder. That would free up space for the back 4. In this instance, we can either play Ramos or Torres, both of whom are young, and demonstrate talent in the way they do things. Personally, I think Ramos should remain open to both positions, because that provides squad versatility, and Miguel Torres should keep up the progress he has made since last season, and turn that promise into a real gem of a player. Keeping Pepe and Metzelder, with Heinze also capable of covering both left and center leaves us a lot of options open in the event we have injuries, suspensions, or lack of match-fitness.

I do, however, favor the "man-beast" (half man, half man-beast) in a wide right position this season until we acquire a dedicated right wing-back like Alves.

11. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

But we are not playing with a wide right midfielder...we are playing 4-3-3...with none of the central 3 playing wide. How would Cicinho fit into that equation?

12. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles

That's been one of the problems. He never plays one position consistently for long periods. Those of us who like him at RB have been frustrated that although Capello and Schuster also wanted to play him there, they just couldn't leave him there consistently. His recent run of games has probably been the longest he's had at RB.

Pah, it's not a waste. If Ramos can continue to fine-tune his skills while keeping his beastliness, he may be able to redefine the RB position in a way that shows you to be a small thinker. ;)

That's what I'm talking about.

Alves is pretty much 'it' for RBs and I don't think he's having a great season so far (correct me if I'm wrong) so until someone really stunning and less errr.. annoying comes along.... Ramos at RB.

Agreed, and @ zizou555, it's clear he can flourish at both positions. So much of how his career goes will be shaped by the things we are discussing above, which is "is there any one of better or equal quality that we can put there instead."

13. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I've actually been a bit worried as to our lack of width in midfield. Robinho is the only one who regularly comes from the front 3 and drifts around, and he is usually on the left. That leaves the position on the right in some peril, ever since Figo left. (Beckham did not do that much on the right)

I believe with balance and symmetry in our positions, we could actually play kind of a 4-2-3-1, where the striker up front is benefited from the attacking play of the wingers and the central play-maker. I believe we did try this at certain times in the last 2-3 seasons, but it never bore the fruits that Schuster's plan gave.

The thing is, Cicinho's departure, the inefficiency of Robben, and the general lack of versatility in the midfield prevents us from doing anything other than a 4-3-3. It is as much by accident as it is by our own machination. I suppose my criticism of our positions, especially during tough games like Murcia, Sevilla, Lazio, originates in the basis of a central paucity of variability. We limit ourselves at times to certain playmakers, like Robinho or Guti, because we simply cannot do anything else. Sure, when Guti and Robinho and Raul are on form, we're on fire. But the question I ask is, what can we do when they're not?

I want to put it out there, that if we sign someone like Mancini or Alves, we would have the same kind of rampaging attack down the right as we do down the left, with Marcelo combining very well with Robinho.

14. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

In his defense, his two injuries haven't allowed him to have much a shot to prove anything. But I do get what you are saying.

I would prefer to see him as a central defender. I've said that before and I'll say it again. Like others, I place a tremendous amount of importance on that position and I want players there that will impact the game from the back - I think Sergio Ramos is that type of player.

15. Butragueño

Butragueño Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Madrid

Sign me up to the sign Alves and move Ramos back to CB bandwagon.

I personally think that the 36 mill we spent on Robben would've been more wisely spent on Alves (he would've cost about the same). He would've given us just as much width, but is a much more durable player and was already used to the league. Don't get me wrong I think Robben is an excellent player, but there was just too much risk in his transfer IMO, when you compare it to a hypothetical Alves move.

I'm with Alma, Ramos' potential at CB is limitless. I think that we've pretty much seen the best that he can offer at RB at this point, which is excellent, but at CB he can mark an era.

16. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007

Cicinho has said many times that wants to play as a RB and not as a midfielder. What use would it be, forcing a player to play out of position and making him unhappy?

17. Butragueño

Butragueño Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Madrid

He hasn't been as good as last season where he was probably the best player in the league, but he has played at a high level. His dip in form is understandable given the circumstances. The fact that he desperately wanted to leave and wasn't allowed to being #1 on that list. When you keep a player against his will, it doesn't usually turn out well.

Also, Puerta's death and the pressures of the CL etc. seem to have caught up to the team and they are really struggling as a unit, which would also hurt his form.

18. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, why call it a turtle?

19. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Until then, our best option is Ramos at RB. No one else, not even Torres, can match his ability right now. However, I do think that Ramos needs to mature a bit more with his temper and decision-making facilities before he fully tackles the role of a CB.

As for Robben, this was a mistaken signing. His injuries are the main reason most people doubted his transfer. We probably won't see anything out of 36 mil Euros until the beginning of 2008.

20. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

OK, I have some doubts as I think that Robinho, Raul, Ruud as a front 3 is a pretty potent attack...and so I would question moving Robinho back to a more traditional LW position in a 4-4-2.
    I also think that, while marcelo has looked good going forward (and to be fair has defended well in some games)...he has been struggling in respect of his positional play. As I mentioned in the match thread, Raul was having a real go at him in the 1st half against Racing.
    We would also have to sort out a 2 man central midfield.

However I do see your point and could see it being a useful option...if you are adding these 2 names (and I would add Queresma) rather than Cicinho.
    If we are to have a more balanced squad, I would add a CM (though Drenthe or Baptista may change my mind on this one) and a RW (though again I would also consider another look at Nieto)

21. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005

That's an answer to a different question though: Who is our best option at right back?

22. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007

I pretty much agree that Cicinho is useless as RB and would be more suited playing as a RM where he doesn't have any major defensive responsibilities but is forcing him to play out of position going to help? He has moaned to the media the few times he was played there.

23. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

bosingwa, maybe? his stock seems to be rising fairly fast, and combined with miguel's poor form has been the right back of late for portugal.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

No, not really.I like him, but FC Porto means a lot of money for the transfer, money that could probably move Alves away next summer..

Right now, i see more potential great CB's than potential great RB's.
    A very good CB would probably also cost half as much as a very good RB, and when you already have a great RB in your own team, it makes not much sense to limit him into a Central position, for now.
    Alves needs cover all the time, so i think while Ramos could learn to play a little more conservative, with Alves, we would have two Marcelo's out there, only with the difference that Marcelo would grow into emulating Alves's leave-everything-behind-me style and would probably not improve in backtracking as much as people would want to.

25. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA

Alves looked much better last year and the holes he left in defense were very well covered by Javi Navarro. Navarro's absence this year is amplifying the holes Alves left. I don't see much difference in Alves play, but a huge difference in the back line coverage for Sevilla.

One more point: We speak of things like "Why make Cicinho unhappy?" He's gone. He's not even a starter at AS Roma. I don't care if we ever think of bringing him back, it's over. Ramos himself has said he prefers to play RB. Why make HIM unhappy? He's a current player for us.