The All-Star Game at the 17th minute [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Lucid, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, the Landon Donovan show was a pretty good all-star game. At least up until the point where Diallo started rubbing Rooney's chest with the sports bra on, that freaked me out a bit.

2. caddisfly

caddisfly New Member

May 24, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Heh, I forgot how creepy that was.

3. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    shoulda showed portugal game

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Re: The All-Star Game at the 17th minute

hey genius- there was a WEATHER DELAY.

What are they supposed to do, ingore advertising $$$ and just show a stadium and rain?

Get a clue, please.

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    grab a clue.

video and audio feeds go out over separate signals.

the storm made the video feed cut out, and for you to imply anything else is totally ridiculous

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Seeing as how the first thing the announcers said at the top of the broadcast was how thunderstorms were rolling in, I'd think they might have had a contingency plan already in place.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations, you just watched the worst All-Star game in history.[R]

WOW, that sucked. No pace to the game, sloppy play, no twellman goals. Too much defense, i thought this was an all-star game. Anyway, being serious, i knew the MLS all-stars would win, i mean Sommer was in net, but i do believe that they got away with one. I counted 4 chances where Cannon made the stupidest mistakes and the US just couldn't captalize. Horrible play. Barrett didn't impress me much, or Mulrooney. I dunno, the only Earthquake out there that impressed me was Donovan. Nice goals though,(yea right!). The only highlight was the halftime show with the talentless singer and her "band", and the girls with wet shirts in front of them. I don't know about some of you but I'm already saving for next year to head to LA, thats one sweet stadium.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    This was one of the most incredible downpours I have ever seen.

It was raining in the beginning, with lightining a few miles away (we stayed through that, specially after the criminal weather 95 and humid which felt more like 105).

Then the lightning got close to the stadium and the rain was pouring down relentlessly. It did not let up for quite a while.

It would not let up for quite a while, but I ran into Steve Nicols (New England coach), Eliseo Quintinilla (DC United) and Jose Alegria (DC United) mingling with the rain soaked fans by the beer, lemonade, and food vendors.

Quite a finish though!

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they did show the first-ever MLS goal.

10. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Re: Re: The All-Star Game at the 17th minute

I don't see where the poster says that ABC should not have cut to commercials, just that the whole situation was a bad break for MLS. Perhaps you should get a clue, actually read the posts, and take out your frustrations somewhere else.

11. Reuben

Reuben New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Other than the delay and missing 15 minutes, I thought it was a fun game to watch. Perhaps I am just a soccer junkie, but I thought it was entertaining. Half-time show did not live up to the hype. It must have been an abreviated performance. Overall I gave the game a B+, for I felt the guys went out and worked hard.

12. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I just got back from the game. We were extremely unlucky today. That game was well played up till the 17th minute. Rain had been coming down, but things were OK until some lightening started stiking too close to the stadium. Brian Hall called a halt in the play, and the players ran for the tunnel, while all the fans (except the 3 DC United fan clubs) ran for cover. After about 30 minutes of downpour (and a few nuts running around the field,) even the fan clubs took cover as lightening continued to strike. When the rain started to let up, the electrical storm also let up, but by then the field had standing water in large areas.

When the game started again, it was impossible to get back to the same level of play. Up till the half, though, it looked like both teams were really trying. After the half, though, there was no more midfield play. Both teams were letting the other come at them, and thus, MLS All-star Golazo. I preferred the first 17 minutes.

13. Halo15

Halo15 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Seattle
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here on the west coast they continued to show the game on ABC. it was pretty cool, better than any all star game from any other league in recent years.

14. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

ABC just gets on my nerves. 'nuff said. Why does MLS even try? Just do the AS Game on ESPN every year. IT'S SO SIMPLE!!!! Why do we go through this time & time again? It's stupid. & when soccer gets big here (yes, I said WHEN) they'll be sorry. Sorry, sorry, sorry. But, still stay with ESPN anyway.

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    how old are you?

16. JBlazini24

JBlazini24 New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Why is everyone bitter at ABC?

They can't control the frickin' weather!

I guess everyone's just so used to complaining and making conspiracy claims that they can't do anything else.

Bad break, OK. But no one is at fault.

17. pacref

pacref Member

Jun 8, 2000
    North Texas
    Because if this was an NFL or MLB all star game they would have stuck with the game and cut some of the news coverage.

This is not the first time that they have snubbed the folks who DONT have cable or satellite dishes (yes there are still a lot of folks who only have over the air TV).

It is all the $$$$ factor at Disney. It is too bad that MLS has a multi-year contract with them.

18. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    If this was an NFL or MLB game then they would have paid for the rights to show the game so maybe you'd be right.

But since MLS buys time with them, they lived up to their contract with MLS. End of story.

Get over it.

19. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    We were unlucky with what happened, but lets at least hope everything goes well for the MLS Cup 2000. Oh, and I think we may have one playoff game on ABC too.