The All-Purpose Veron Thread - brought to you by Old Bay

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ives Galarcep says it is looking much more likely that DCU is still talking with Veron and that the team will add him in 2008. I'm guessing that sooner becomes more of an option of Estudiantes bombs out of any competitions and has a poor season.

Look here: http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/09/dc-closing-in-o.html#more

2. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Re: Galarcep Says Veron Deal Closer

I think it's meant to be... "La Brujita" con Los "Rojinegros" del DC United... Witches and black go together nicely... :D

3. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I wouldn't complain if this happened. :D

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

He's right, this would probably mean goodbye to Gomito (who really hasn't been himself this season). So would our team next season look like:

---------------Emilio-------------------
    --------------------Fred---------------
    Gros------------------------------Olsen
    -----------Simms-------Veron----------
    Burch-------McTavish---???-------Namoff
    -----------------Perkins----------------

And Moreno serves as the super-sub.

5. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland

Would something like this work:

---------------Emilio---------------
    -----------------------Moreno------------
    Gros------------------------------Olsen
    -----------Fred-------Veron----------
    Burch-------McTavish--simms-----Namoff
    -----------------Perkins----------------

I think this would be an awesome line up, but maybe there are some problems:

Thoughts?

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Well Simms isn't a central defender, we'd have the shortest pair of center backs in the center of the league and putting Fred in such a deep lying role would probably be worse than putting Gros at left back.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is there any reason that Gomez would have to go? Won't we have enough SI spots to keep our current SI's and add Veron? I would like to think that adding Veron would be something that might even convince Gomez to stay. Again, as far as I know, we'll have a free SI spot next year, even without a change of the rules.

8. dozerman

dozerman Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Dec 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boz is still under contract next year and I could see us keeping Vanney if he takes a pay cut. From what I've seen of Simms on the back line this year I would rather see him on the Bench than as a center back.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

As it looks to me (not signing extension, making noise about how he wants to finish his career in Argentina), he won't be back next year. I'm not saying I want him gone, I'm just following Colbert's advice and going with what my gut.

10. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Veron is still injured.....

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i have my doubts he will stay too, but i would LOVE to see him stay. And again, I think the arrival of Veron might actually convince him to do so. That would be a hell of a lineup.

12. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

I think Veron's arrival would have just the opposite effect. From what has been said by Goff - Christian thinks he deserves DP money (and based on his play LAST year possibly rightfully so). If Veron comes in - I think Gomez will be seriously pissed he didn't get it and finish his career in the Gulf somewhere that he can find one last large paycheck.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you think that he's in line to get a big paycheck in the Gulf ....... after THIS season? His play this year certainly hasn't helped him. If the cap goes up (and maybe if it doesn't), a max nonDP contract would probably be extended to him, and it might still be the best thing he is offered. I can't imagine that Gomez or his agents would expect that he would be in line for the same contract that a Veron would be. But really, who knows. Hopefully we have the chance to find out.

14. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands

Seven goals (tied for 8th in the league), eight assists (tied for (EDIT) fourth in the league), in a year in which the team shifted from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2, which means one less d-mid backing Gomez up, which means he has more defensive responsibilities than he did before. His play in the 4-4-2 has been highly effective, if not as flashy as it was in the 3-5-2.

He won't get a Veron-like offer, but to suggest that he's had a poor season is missing the big picture of what he's been asked to do, and has done, for the team.

15. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Word. Gomez is money. His goal against RSL, for example. I think he's had a good year. With Emilio, he doesn't need to be the leading scorer. We have a more diversified attack. It's a less stellar year for him personally, but that was the goal with getting Emilio and Fred, I think.

16. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

A couple people beat me to it - but yeah I think he will get a big offer. He was already offered a non-DP max salary and turned it down. nothing has changed that drastically his opinion of that offer will change - unless he fails to land a deal overseas.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't suggest he had a bad season. I simply said that the season doesn't put him in line for some big money payout in the Gulf. If you think it does, then i guess we are on opposite sides of the fence. The fact that I said that I believe he'll get a max non-DP contract should have been a hint that I do think that he is still having a good season.

18. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

Man, this is a bad juju thread. We are on a tear right now and while it might be in the back of my head I just do not want to discuss Gomito possibly leaving the team just yet.

I would say that he plays younger than Jaime even though they are close in age. However, he has uncharacteristically missed several golden chances in and around the box this year. He has turned it up in the last couple of games and is scoring again.

I can only hope the FO finds a way to keep him in Black and Red.

The more I think about it, this is a plot by Arena w/Ives to knock DC off step as we head into the playoffs. Aren't you surprised that Ives is giving us the update (not Goff) and bringing up the Gomez might be leaving news?

And for the bad juju..........

We suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck, we suck.

19. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Nah, we discussed Gomz leaving when we were 0-3.

Anyway, I don't believe in juju.

Or jinxes.

20. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

Damn Matt. That was when we did suck and it didn't matter. The roll we are on reminds me of the 2004 run, only better.

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

From the Goffblog:

22. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 points: Veron will NOT be in a DC UNIFORM until mid 2008 if at ALL REMEMBER Estudantes still has to play Copa Libertadores in 2008 and Veron wants to be apart of that.

Second: Gomez for all our he hasn't played well this year ect ect.. His Numbers are pretty close to last year he's got like 9 assist and 7 goals I think..... Gomez wants more money: And I think he made his point: When he was ON he had HIGH Double digit numbers: and while sleep walking through this season Gomito still has great Numbers. MLS SHOULD give him the money he wants. BUT THIS IS MLS and here if the passport isn't American or form the European Union: Gomito looks like he will be gone at the end of this season.

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Oh no, you can't make up juju rules when they're convenient. Either juju works or it doesn't.

I believe it doesn't.

Therefore, let me say this. I think we have a chance to be one of the best DC United teams ever.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:)

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

I just don't buy this line of thinking. But it's common enough that alot of people must.
    Yes, the passport absolutely should be American, duh. After that, I see no prejudice either way by MLS, they have gotten (and paid) really good and exceptionally bad players from all regions.
    Luis Hernandez (who has a very fine hairdo) sure as shit wasn't European or union :)

25. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

Oh, I thought this was BS.

The only thing juju works for is to get stuck in your teeth.

And I agree as long as the conversation in this thread doesn't make it into the locker room.

And then it is BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! for the rest of the league.