The All Purpose Other Teams Thread - Pt. III (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by RiverGaucho, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I kinda want to see the US play the Dutch in the R16.

And speaking of the Dutch, they are a side to look out for. They have a world class defender. De light is no pushover either. de Jong has class. Their attack is not from a generation ago or so but they do have some firepower. Plus, van Gaal could whip up some magic.

Although, they are in a interesting group. Senegal, Ecuador and the hosts, Qatar. I think they are perhaps favorites to win the group but I do not think it is as clear cut as others are saying.

soul24rage repped this.
  2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senegal is pretty good and the hosts always tend to pull off at least one unexpected result. Qatar has been decent in attack at times when I've watched them.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2-1 lost in final
    7-1 lost in semifinal

You'e correct.

Burr repped this.
  4. Any particular reason for this wish?

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not really a wish but more of an interesting matchup. I want to see where the US is at this stage of their development and I think the Dutch would be a great measuring stick.

Who would you want to play and or avoid from Group B(I mean realistically, lol. do not think Iran will get out of that group)?

6. Avoid the English, as I think their selection basically is better than ours, except for our defense and Frenky de Jong.
    From the rest I've no clue about the level of Iran as a team, nor about their players except for Jahanbaksh, who plays for Feyenoord.
    Wales or the USA no preference as these two are about the same level, while Wales might be the smarter/more cunning team of that two.
    Which one of the two comes out of the group depends on which of the two leading players of them, Bale and Pulisic, delivers on this WC stage.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The English are a bunch of prima-donnas. They do not get the benefit of playing at home, and even then, we’ve seen they aren’t all that great. I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

I know next to nothing about Iran nor the Welsh. Wales have some names but I think they’re lucky that Ukraine could not finish their chances.

The US. The US, particularly the players think they’re better than what they really are. A single US player would not be even on the bench for either of our nations. Yet, they have this fighting spirit. Although I stated they think they are better than what they are, they have some players who can cause some problems. But with your defense, I think you’ll be fine.

I think your group is really fascinating. I think those teams will challenge you, which is always good.

Rattlehead and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  8. According to this average FIFA ranking of the group members you're right.
    It's the one with the highest ranking value.
    upload_2022-6-17_2-17-12.png

SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is rumored to be Brasil’s away kit… Yikes!

[​IMG]

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting that Gareca will not return for Peru. There are rumors of Boca trying to get him. He was once a favorite to coach Argentina before the rise of Scaloni.

But also, Peru now are interested in Beccacece(@locoxriver’s favorite manager). They are also looking at Sampa and Gringo. Maybe Heinze would do since I don’t see why Sampa or Beccacece would want to take over Peru. The Peruvian side do not have much promise. I think that decent cycle they had is over. But now, if they are moving the World Cup to 48 teams, which is utter crap, qualifying will be come much simpler.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Beccacece did start his coaching career in Peru (as assistant to Sampaoli) and was involved in numerous club there, so he does have a connection to the country.

Plus even though the future isn’t looking the brightest for the Peruvians, it’s still a step up from a mediocre club team in Argentina that’ll be a dead end. He already announced he will be leaving Defensa at the end of the season, so why not take the Peru job.. I mean what other offers would he get? Maybe a midtable Brasileirao side at best? Some random Mexican team?

He won’t be sought by Europe at this point, so grabbing a NT isn’t a bad idea. Plus if he does a decent job it’ll give him international exposure and open doors for bigger offers, so it could be a smart move for future growth.

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I’m not so sure about that. He is a young man, for the most part managers are a bit older. Yes, I know Scaloni is only a few years older but Scaloni has a lot to work with. He has a treasure trove of talent. I’m not sure there is much motivation for somebody like him to coach a national team that appears to be on the decline. Unless it is an easy payday…

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing is he isn’t managing River or Boca.. look how he flopped in Independiente. I mean in Defensa he did alright (taking over a made team though) but couldn’t manage to maintain the results after they sold off a few players. This is apparently the reason he is decided on leaving at the end of the year, since they can’t have a serious project since every few months he’s forced to rebuild.

If he manages the “giants” it’s a different story, but to be recycled around between the Lanuses and Newell’s of the world what’s the point. He’s stuck with limitations.

Personally I think Peru is a great option for him, as I think he’s an overrated manager who doesn’t have much of a higher ceiling at this point. He can build a project and will have a good chance of going to the expanded WC. Other than that it’d be wait for an offer from a Botafogo or Vasco da Gama, as like in Argentina the giants of Brazil (Flamengo, Palmeiras, etc) aren’t going to be approaching him.

SupaMario repped this.
  14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our group just got even easier

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dont jinx our players:ninja:

DrScorpio, Burr and ganapordiego repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe they can nationalize another Argentine to take his spot :whistling:

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I gotta be honest, this is dope jersey. Damn, if it was almost anyone else I would buy one

19. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They could have Corona, Modelo, Tecate, and etc…It won’t matter!
    [​IMG]

Loco and Burr repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1770 SupaMario, Aug 31, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Man, Flamengo are spanking Velez. They are lucky GabiNoGol has been awful. He could easily have had a hat trick.

Granted, it is not exactly surprising…

Now 4-0…

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Bruno Henrique is out injured too :confused:

SupaMario repped this.
  22. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Elche CF now has six Argentine players; Javier Pastore, Axel Werner, Lucas Boyé, Ezequiel Ponce, Federico Fernández and Nicolás Fernández Mercau. None of these are Albiceleste quality players, but Elche CF should change their name to "El Che CF" with all these Argentineans :)

Burr and megamac20817 repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s because the club is owned by Argentine businessman and agent Christian Bragarnik

Up until recently they also had other Argentines like Benedetto, Marcone, Rigoni, and Sanchez Miño in their roster

Loco repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you guys see the goal ruled out for Leverkusen today in the Champions League due to a milimetric offside?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shit is getting out of hand. VAR is the worst thing that has happened to the sport.

Burr and Rattlehead repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolute clown shit. They shouldn't be using computers. It should be something obvious and if they can't figure it out in 10 seconds just let it stand.

locoxriver repped this.