The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said you didn't want your USL team to get promoted because of issues around scheduling. I don't know what those issues would be considering that they play the same time of the year, and play national schedules down to USL-1. Maybe there is a scheduling issue I am missing.

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know within the investing world which one is considered a more exciting field.

M repped this.
  3. GalaxyBowl

GalaxyBowl Member

LA Galaxy
    Aug 21, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Implementing Pro/Rel in the US is too late at this point. It is something that should have been implemented in the NASL era. Instead of trying to build "superclubs," resources should have been directed towards youth development and crafting distinct club and fan cultures where fans would have been hardcore enough to stay if they one day did get relegated. Decades of attempting to replicate the NFL model have successfully inflated the value of first-division clubs, making relegation financially risky and potentially disastrous for any club and its investors.

4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    You misinterpreted me. I said winning the league is the prize in itself. Promotion wouldn’t make it better for me. It would simply be a structural and scheduling matter that affects the future.

HailtotheKing, Chesco United and JasonMa repped this.
  5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The top of England's League Two is interesting. The top two spots are taken by the last two National League champions - Stockport County and Wrexham, the third spot is taken by the 19/20 champions - Barrow - and sixth spot is taken by last year's other club promoted from the National League - Notts County. Three of those teams are averaging ~10k or more and even poorly supported Barrow are averaging 3.6k. Amazing.

superdave repped this.
  6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A good example of how much pro/rel means to the fans.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you approve?

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I disapprove in the same way I disapprove of riots and vandalism after teams win playoffs in US closed leagues.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thought of P/R sure doesn’t seem to be helping the second most successful team in Paris draw more than 5K on a Tuesday night. Even with free tickets (Paris FC is giving all their standard tickets away free this season).

But I was happy to be one of that sub-5K crowd. Beautiful second goal from the Parisians as the Rodez keeper got chipped from midfield.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    38,998 at Everton's game tonight... essentially a full house once again.

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Over 100 K at JerryWorld for the Big 12 Championship Game.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep EVERY league game is a sell out, a relegation fight only adds to the drama.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Approve of what? Violence? No but its certainly a fine example of the level of 'emotion' that pro/rel brings - its fantastic.

14. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tell me when England poisons a tree.

superdave and HailtotheKing repped this.
  15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cash helps in the US.

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39541 HailtotheKing, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    But this is where subjectivity enters.

You and I cannot state that winning the USLC isn't as good or is the same or is better or is worse than winning the EFL Championship. We both can justify our opinions on it to the moon and back but ultimately it is just our opinion. The only truth is that it is different.

We went through that already and .....

anyway that's not what he's saying. He's merely saying that he'd love his club winning USLC for the fact of winning USLC. If anything else was attached it'd just be a scheduling/format matter.

Pro/Rel being more interesting is an opinion ... the fact that not everyone in this discussion on this board necessarily finds it that way is proof of that. "Interesting" is a subjective term by definition.

They're comparable in the sense of ... which approach makes the most sense for the ENTIRETY of the picture. One relies MOSTLY on a singular variable while the other uses multiple variables.

This poster does not reflect those of us that are lower league fans. It is quite fun/exciting/fulfilling/etc being an SAFC fan here in USLC. And yes, I'd dare say I have as much or more joy and am in a better fandom situation than many clubs in pro/rel systems.

But we don't have that kind of passion here because we don't have pro/rel .... remember

... like riots and vandalism here in the US after teams, oh wait we don't have that because we don't have pro/rel so we don't have that emotion or passion, but that other guys seems to think that there's riots and vandalism because ....

Chesco United and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's set some cars on fire because we have to play in slightly smaller stadiums next season!

19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's not just (or even necessarily) smaller stadiums though. First and foremost they are not playing top tier football!

Of course there is no excuse for setting cars on fire though! I'm old enough to remember when that kind of thing was almost a weekly event at Stamford Bridge! :-(, all in the name of nothing more than 'having a laugh'! Hooliganism almost killed my club.

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Paris is a very odd place when it comes to football.

It's a big city and ought to have a number of at least half decent clubs, but the game has always struggled there. Sure, PSG have done well, especially since their financial boost, but the Parisiens are stubbornsly difficult to impress.

Paris have recently had an injection of money from Bahrain, and crowds have nearly doubled from last season, but they aren't really pushing for promotion.

"Paris' 2nd club" has often had a "tallest of the seven dwarfs" feel as regarding a boast. Paris FC and Red Star are only recent recovering from long slumps into obscurity, and Racing Club, arguably France's biggest club in the 60s, languish in the regionalised 4th tier, playing to just a few hundred people.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France was never a big soccer country until the 1980s. Individual sports were more popular.

Outside of Marseille, St Etienne and a few industrial towns it doesn't the passionate local loyalty you see in England.

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rugby Union is quite popular in France as well. The Top 14 draws very well.

owian repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official sport of the Vichy government.

PSG was formed in 1969. PSG and Paris FC split in 1972. Because Paris FC was based in Paris they got the Ligue 1 status and all the professional players. PSG were cast into the amateur leagues, which of course they won, never to look back.

24. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You might want to notice which country most posters here are in. Incidents that the English might call hooligan are common in other sports here, though rarely in soccer.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.