The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of what happens already in College Football. I mean at the moment most of the benefactors of programs have connections to the school or region but... college athletics offers everything a sportswasher could desire with the added benefit of connections to a "prestigious learning institution". And the Wild West of N.I.L means the money could have a direct impact. Obviously doesn't have the international impact of soccer but if your goal is to influence the US it could be effective.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Newcastle United are the first British business to be outright nationalized by a foreign government.

Maybe the CIA could buy Club Universidad de Chile and offer to clean the remaining blood stains out of the drains as a make up call for 1973.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um guys, I think I found Bosinator's Twitter account:

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chesco United repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College Football fans put up with a lot.
    Screenshot_20230921_013256_YouTube.jpg

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Everton have themselves to blame, over the last 20 years or so they've bought poor players and then paid them too much money. They should have cut their cloth accordingly.

M repped this.
  7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No Premier League club has gone into administration, right?

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Refurbished so Stan Kroenke's pro team could play there for about twenty minutes.

In total fairness, and I hate being fair to USC, I checked on Ticketmaster now and they will not sell you a ticket to any 300 section. And I doubt they sold out the Utah or Arizona games. EDIT - nor will the USC athletics site. Speaking from experience, it's extremely easy to move from one section to another in that stadium, so I think our man here may have bought a seat to a different section and moved to a photo opportunity.

superdave, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No not yet! In 1997 Brighton were close to being liquidated, formed in 1901 and a top flight club in 1983 they lost the cup final that year to Manchester United, from then on until 1997 it was a story of decline. By 1997 they were bottom of the 4th tier, homeless (home games being played an incredible 70 miles away in Gillingham in front of a couple of thousand fans) and potless but then they decided to turn their fortunes around. Its taken 26 years of building, but today, in their state of the art stadium, today they play their first European fixture against AEK Athens, the stadium is going to be sold out as it is for EVERY game and they will be favourites to win.

While Brighton were starting their freefall down the pyramid Everton were the best team in England playing in front of a packed out Goodison Park.

If Brighton can rise from the ashes to Europe then there is no reason why Everton should be in the fix they are in right now - the difference between the two clubs is management.

If In 1987, when Everton were picking up their 2nd title in 3 years, you had asked somebody which club would be at the top of the 1st Division and which would be struggling at the bottom in 2023 I wonder how many would have put Brighton as the club competing at the top?

M repped this.
  10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember feverishly checking the Internet to see if Brighton would stay in the league.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty obvious too when you look at the picture and see all the other seats in that area empty.

Gonna suck for whomever buys those seats for whatever events they host there in the 2028 Olympics though.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They admit that in the video. Then he goes to a bunch of other stadiums and sits in seats that are almost as bad at other stadiums that he actually paid for.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portsmouth were also close as well. Though they didn't go into administration until after being relegated from the PL.

14. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what this has to do with pro/rel? They haven't been relegated since before Lizzy was Queen.

M repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screenshot_20230921_143115_Google.jpg

jaykoz3 and Chesco United repped this.
  16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And?

The point is Everton's woes are down to astoundingly bad management over a long period of time. Hopefully they'll get relegated this season and replaced by a better-run club.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    You're missing the point. The fact that Everton are continually hopeless cannot have anything to do with pro/rel but does have everything to do with chronically poor management of the club over a long period of time.

jaykoz3, Crawleybus and superdave repped this.
  19. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I know exactly where they are and long may it continue. But the original post was about their financial issues. Still curious how their financial issues are related to pro/rel?

And yes I know relegation might be an existential threat but every year clubs are relegated, survive and even thrive, if they don't it's not relegation it's their poor management.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their relegation battles are allegedly the result of their financial mismanagement. Therefore it's relevant to promotion and relegation.

If it is financial mismanagement. There have been a lot of bad managerial appointments. Who didn't foresee Frank Lampard failing? This has been an Everton problem throughout my existence, with a couple of exceptions.

Could it just be a case of a club being locally owned that can't compete in a multinational market and as a result has made decisions that aren't sustainable.

What's also relevant to this conversation is that if this was L.A. Galaxy they could spend a couple of seasons regrouping and rebuilding without the threat of the financial abyss Everton will collapse into it they are indeed relegated.

If Everton do go down and don't bounce straight back up they could be in the EFL for a while.

Finally Everton could provide an opportunity for those people that said the three promoted teams wouldn't go straight back down, to say they were right.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Everton don't have a divine right to be in the Premier League, who knows if they go down they might end up outside the top flight for 30 years. They might not go down and they might get back into the top 6 - both scenario's depend on how well they're managed and how many football games they win. Preston are top of the Championship, hoping to get back into the top flight for the first time since 1961! Both fine examples of how well pro/rel works in England.

M repped this.
  22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not so good today, were they?

HailtotheKing repped this.
  23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Provide an opportunity!!?? The three promoted teams very rarely all go straight back down, That has only happened ONCE! That was in 1997-98 when Barnsley, Bolton and Crystal Palace were relegated a year after being promoted, thats quite amazing really - even by the law of averages!

M, jaykoz3 and owian repped this.
  24. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They're not going to win every game! Manchester City aren't going to win every game and they're (arguably) the best team in the world right now!

25. This is the zenith of protectionism of self entitled rights. If businesses were run this way in the USA, it would look like other corrupt nations.
    Anyway, some pages ago an avelange of posts descended on me telling how flourishing the scene of pro sport is with 100 millions tickets sold.
    So what is it?
    An abyss or a garden of plenty with rich pickings for every team that relegation isnot a problem?