The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've met plenty of Europeans who liked American sports.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  2. Oh, without a question.
    I loved to play basketball and baseball at highschool. So do many Dutch kids, just watch the play courts in neighbourhoods which almost all have hoops. Nobody plays American football though.
    Despite Dutch among (super)stars playing baseball or basketball, clubs never get elevated to the level of people wholy getting into it, like with footballclubs.

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Aren't TV revenues in La Liga more skewed to the three big teams than is the case in the English Premier League? If so, maybe they should address that before moaning about the Premier League.

Of course, the "breakaway" Premier League is a pro/rel league anyway...

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I watch basketball (well, just the playoffs as the regular season suffers badly from its oversized playoffs) and American Football. I'm a big Patriots fan from way back when I lived close to Foxborough and they were perenially crap. So no glory hunting by me...

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely ... no wrong way to be a fan. You can though, be wrong as a fan, if that makes sense. I mean, there's no justification for the situation I described above about that subset of American soccer fans. Is p/r a valid reason as to why you're a fan of Fulham? Absolutely. Is saying MLS is invalid because San Antonio FC can't do what Fulham did? Absolutely not, especially as you cheer on your NFL team, or NBA team, or MLB team, or even a USL team ...

Then why doesn't basketball continue to grow in Europe? It has pro/rel ...

This has been proven to be 100% an outright lie, on multiple occasions.

Weird, never heard you say anything negative about the NBA or NFL due to lack of pro/rel ...

Dan Loney and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  6. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    #35406 CoachP365, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    6 of the last 10 champions league winners, 7 of the last 10 Euro league winners. The only time a spanish team lost in the finals was to another spanish team.

When the Prem clubs start throwing money at coaches, then he should be worried ;)

Chesco United repped this.
  7. I'm reading things about Mexico reinstalling pro/rel?

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They never completely killed it. They decided in 2020 to suspend pro/rel between the top two divisions for 5 years because of the instability of the second division. During that time, as compensation for losing the possibility of promotion, as well as to stabilize the second division, Liga MX has been paying each second-division club $845,000 per year.

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-...mx-fmf-plan-big-changes-before-2026-world-cup

Other motions, if approved, could take more time. Arriola wants to bring promotion and relegation back, but also highlighted that only one second division team, Leones Negros, is approved to be eligible for promotion. In order for promotion to first return to Liga MX, a minimum of four second division teams need to be approved. More eligible clubs could be announced by May.

10. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so it's not related fair enough.

In terms of the sporting merit, well yeah pro/rel has sporting merit. And yes even with sugar daddies there is still sporting merit because they have to win the games. Does having money help? of course, do people figuratively try and buy their place in a league? yep. But complaining about that is pretty rich coming from people advocating a system where a sugar daddy can LITERALLY buy their place in a league.

They kept pro/rel. Pure pro/rel. And second division clubs have been able to compete in the prem when promoted. If I remember correctly 1999 was the last time all three newly promoted teams went straight back down.

Of course it's not perfect, no system is. The financial gap between the Prem and the Championship is troubling, but again newly promoted teams are competing ,staying up, and establishing themselves in the prem. And while I understand why lower division clubs and supporters might criticize it (although they aren't exactly unbiased observers) the English lower divisions are as stable as any in the world.

So again some snarky comment about the "Breakaway Super" prem insinuating that it is in anyway the same a the European Super league is pretty weak. Particularly if you are advocating the MLS system which is closed, and ZERO money goes down the pyramid.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yep, fair enough.

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, well put. By “no wrong way” I’m just appealing to simple civility. No doubt some fan preferences are curious at best.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how much money from the EPL makes it's way down the Pyramid exactly?? Isn't that one of the major complaints of the teams below the Championship? There's a reason it's not called the EFL/FA Premier League......

THe TV revenues are skewed towards the bigger clubs, but they are more equitable now then they were a few years ago.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it isn't guaranteed, just like in p/r. For instance, you can have a billionaire ownership that has been recognized as "best ownership group" by ESPN and Sports Illustrated ... and still have the league decide to buy snake oil ‍♂️

jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Not enough. But certainly way more than in a closed league structure such as in the US.

2021/22 figures show tv revenues are way more skewed than Premier League tv revenues:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.c... the table,according to INSIDE WORLD FOOTBALL.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...by-club-breakdown-man-city-liverpool-chelsea/

16. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The US is REALLY trying to get the NFL to take off here in the UK, the sport of basketball has failed to get a foothold in the UK but does have some following in some parts of Europe, the thing is I'm sure Germany would be a better place to try and grow the NFL because they don't 'do' Rugby. To go a step further with the NFL in the UK I think they need to develop a UK league, I say this because I think It took a US football league (the MLS) to get 'more' Americans into football than before, surely it was the MLS and not European football that increased the sports popularity? A UK team in the NFL would give UK fans a mutual club interest, that would surely increase popularity but its my understanding that the logistics of that would be extremely difficult?

Chesco United repped this.
  17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kind of proves my point about money then surely? You have to ask yourself why it is that the Premier League is far more popular than the Spanish one? I think its because the Premier League has more competitive clubs, it also makes one wonder why the Spanish are whinging so much?

M repped this.
  18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Basketball is quite popular in some parts of Europe, not so much in the UK, people here seem to prefer rugby and cricket, I prefer those sports, its a question of taste of course but I don't find basketball very entertaining whether it has pro/rel or not. Have you asked yourself that perhaps it would be LESS popular in Europe without pro/rel?

19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Then you must do what Brighton or Brentford have done..........get to the Premier League and quickly become one of the richest clubs in the world.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Basketball has pro/rel ... and pro/rel is what people want and makes it interesting and gives you reason to follow.

Also, there IS a British (American) Football League. It culminates in the BritBowl (and in 2020 it apparently had record attendance). It is streamed on BBC. It involved p/r as well yet the interest isn't quite what you'd think, given what we're told p/r does ... crazy innit?!?!

No, not once. We do have a case of an "American" sport going from p/r to closed/franchise and having it not only save the league, but boost it to the highest/most popular it has ever been.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed. I've talked to many Germans about things like 1980s NFL. I was surprised that the NFL originally focused on England. There were US soccer leagues prior to MLS, which I watched, though few others did.

22. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than MLS does. Plus they offer a chance to three of the clubs to join the party. If the prem had ended pro/rel and all payments down the pyramid then yeah your argument would hold up. But at that point it would look exactly like the very system you are defending.

As for lower divisions clubs complaining. Of course everyone wants more money. But it's not hard to argue in a cold calculating world that a prem club does not owe a league 2 side a single pence. Particularly with such weak governance and a laughable "fit and proper persons test" for owners.

Now that's not what I believe. I do think there need to be solidarity payments, how much, and the exact mechanism I'm not sure. But I am also being consistent in that I believe the same for the US. Kinda weird seeing people calling out the prem who have pro/rel, for not supporting the lower divisions, while defending MLS.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh: this is pretty funny. So your saying MLS expansion is now a form of sporting merit? Are you saying the snake oil salesperson didn't "buy" there way into the league. If anything this makes a stronger case for pro/rel. Competency off the field doesn't always translate to competency on but there is a clear correlation. Normally a club getting promoted is a healthy club.

But yeah would rather argue about spreadsheets than matches I guess.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like I said pro/rel in basketball in EUROPE will make it more popular than it would be without it. American football will find it hard to gain much of a foothold in the UK because we already have established ball sports, I'm not sure what 'other' popular ball sports they have in Germany other than football but none come to mind, perhaps the NFL woul have better luck if they concentrated on growing the game there?

Six Nations starts here tomorrow, England will be playing the Scots, if there was competitive international American football it would help increase interest outside North America, it's a bit if a catch 22.

25. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the number-one factor in the growth of popularity of association football in America has been the ability of American kids to watch high-quality European games on American television. 40 years ago, the average 12-year-old American sports fan had no idea who Real Madrid or Arsenal were. Now, they watch them all the time.

owian, AlbertCamus, CoachP365 and 3 others repped this.