The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like Man U (re).

2. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    american adverizing at it work. i mean same thing that roma owner did with dybala. he sold more jerseys then ronaldo. same thing with nfl most are americans and and that is in span of 1 year so people who planed to go to europe for vacation are jokingly applied and more probable idea is every company in the world has their fake accounts and i bet around 60-70 % are fake accounts who requested tickets lol and there was a chart where it shows most popular american sport in europe is mls nfl third most popular

3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    elon musk proved it with how spread fake accounts are on internet when he tried to buy twitter. and american companies/sports are the same latest prof is FORMULA 1 liberty is owning it so they need fake racism sexisam homophobiasm to make people pay attention how they will change it and make formula 1 better for everybody. nfl needs attention on them so they fake interest so eyes are on them

5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooooooly sheeeeeet dude

6. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    it is so true. nfl is non existant in europe and will be like that forewer europe is not usa to have 24/7 shows about nfl like they do in usa game is over so is sport on airways. different mentality. in europe. off al american sports mls is most popular then nba and then nfl in europe and that is way down in popularity

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The sport was/is pretty popular in Germany. There are odd quirks like that because each country has its own culture, own media, so sports can be huge in some nations, and virtually ignored in most of the rest.

One-off events can attract an amazing amount of interest. Two baseball games held at West Ham's stadium in 2019 attracted capacity crowds of almost 60,000 for each, and nobody would say England is a hotbed of baseball fandom.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF the NFL awards it's Sunday Ticket package to Apple, it'll very likely be available world wide, with all games available on demand (MLS' deal with Apple will be available all around the world). That will certainly go a long way towards growing American Football's popularity outside of the USA.

Also NEVER is a very long time. Remember when it was said that Soccer would NEVER be popular in the USA??? I remember......

9. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    never is what will happen. it is non existant sport around the world. sport channels in europe do not work like in usa. there is 24/7 talk show sport channel in europe or world that will talk about 5or 6 most popular sport there lol. nobody will tret them as best athletes in world like they do in usa if anything they will be called man in armor hitting other people in armor

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m sure there’s enough NFL interest in Europe to keep a yearly game going. Other then that who cares if the sport doesn’t dominate? Even if it’s a niche interest the fans that do like it are just as valid as those who prefer traditional Euro sports.

11. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    no there is not. it is all americans who are watching. specially in germany. might fill a gap for somepeople because germany has no tradition with rugby but still small interest in nfl. and like i said go to thing for american companies and sports is to say peopleare so interested intheir sport with lies. i mean nfl is so insecure i guess. Formula 1 came to miami and all the talk in usa was F1 AND F1 and media outlets start to talk about how it will bring more money to miami then super bown when it was there and on saturday or sunday of F1 race nfl just wanted eyes on them start talking about expansion. llol with american sports especialy nfl with them hiring all the former govt officals, you do not tell the truth you do what govt does to get people/popularity but to lie.

12. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    nobody has interest in it. and one other thing that is different between nfl fan in usa and few in europe. nobody in europe is in state of oww and trans when they see nfl players and how athletic they are like they are in america. it is unconfortable to look how american fans see these guys lol in europe and rest of the world is like people in armor hitting people in armor

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Hardcore soccer partisans mocking other sports when theirs is the king of diving and drama queen antics will never not be hilarious.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  14. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    #34814 BOSNAINTER, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    i always wondered when nfl fans leaves usa and has to go around foreign sport fans how do you feel when that person thinks of nfl player as nothing special while american nfl think he is titan lol. lived in usa from 1998. first they called them gladiator sport untill MMA came along don't call them that anymore then they callled them fastest players on planet untill again matcalf run 100 meter heat and finnished with 20000th time of the year so they do not call them self that anymore lol

15. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's really not just Americans. I know a fair few in the UK who like the sport. That doesn't mean it's their favourite sport, just that they like it. I've also been to some of the NFL games in London, and they were most definitely not all Americans. Most there were English, by quite a margin.

I've no doubt it would be the same in Germany, as Germany seemed to have a bigger interest that the UK did.

The lack of rugby in Germany is irrelevant, especially rugby not existing. Are you suggesting there are Germans who like the NFL because Germany has no local equivalent of a sport they have no interest in?

I often try to listen to interviews etc of some of the small Japanese/Korean bands I like, using the glory of Youtube's automated subtitles. They are appalling*, but still make more sense than that paragraph.

* as an example, Korean Punk trio Rumkicks somehow had their name subtitled as "Donkey Expense" and "Wrong Cakes".

jaykoz3 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    In real life the people in question probably just have a friendly conversation about their two different sporting cultures. Unless one party has the mentality of a toddler and throws a tantrum because someone else likes something different.

HailtotheKing and Roger Allaway repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a lot of rugby league fans who like American football but rugby is part of their culture.

Germany has no real outdoor sport other than soccer. It follows that some Germans may crave an alternative.

18. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I find it hard to believe that there are Germans thinking "Yes, I like handball and ice hockey, but I wish there was an alternative outdoor sport to football".

If such thinking was common, you'd expect there to be more outdoor team sports. From people I know in England who like the sports, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between liking the NFL and not liking our football.

It's also noticeable that interest in the sport is pretty much limited to the NFL, perhaps a bit of college football for the very keen. Local teams (not NFL-Europe), where they formed, attracted almost no interest.

AlbertCamus and jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was another outdoor sport in Germany before World War 2 and Germany was quite good at it. It was rugby. There was also a thriving cricket community too. In fact there's an urban legend that Hitler has the German cricket team shot after they lost match and that's why cricket is no longer played. Of course it's not true.

But both rugby and cricket were largely middle-class sports and the male middle class was pretty much wiped out in WW2.

Anyhow, that is not why I meant. What I meant is that not all German sports fans may be avid soccer fans and when another sport came along people took an interest. That may explain why the gridiron game is so popular in Germany.

Domestically they've had two divisions with pro/rel since 1982 and there are currently 30 teams. The German Bowl averages about 15,000 spectators.

jaykoz3, Mervin JK and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've met Europeans who love American football. They're not common, but they exist.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I got fascinated by American Football in England in the early to mid 80's when Channel 4 started showing a highlights program and the Superbowl. So by the time I moved to the US I was already following the NFL closely. Couldn't understand why they had no pro/rel though. I know at one point I thought the Baltimore Colts must have been relegated!

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean...getting moved to Cleveland is a demotion of sorts!

HailtotheKing, jaykoz3 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm....The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis....

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Reminds me of how I appreciated soccer before seriously following any European league, so at first I was confused by no playoffs and stuff like the FA Cup and League Cup. Since the sport is still the sport at the end of the day I caught on pretty quick.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a step up.