The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he just admitted that owners are excited to build from scratch ... which is exactly what expansion is the overwhelming majority of the time.

Fantastic insight ...

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It certainly seems a lot more interesting to buy, say, Wrexham than a US minor closed league team. At least with the former you are in control of your own destiny and can progress upwards based on your performances on the field of play.

Mucky and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the latter at least you are in control of your own destiny and can progress upwards to whichever level is right for you and aren't artificially crippled due to a single season of results.

Chesco United repped this.
  4. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    like i said people want competition. just watch american owners inlower leagues building stadiums playing chess moving piece here or there. it is just more exiting getting team from loer divisions to top division then be in same division and constanly suck

Mucky and M repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like in IOWA, or QUEENS? I know, it is exciting!

Yeah, it is pretty crappy watching Southampton suck in the Prem each season, that's true.

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So, in Premier League era, Southampton got relegated once, that must have been sad. And, I think relegated from Tier 2 once as well. But they been promoted twice, from the Tier 3 (to tier 2) and from Tier 2 (back to the Premier League), so that must have been exciting. So, I'd say a pretty entertaining century so far to be a Southampton supporter. On the surface of it, more exciting than being a Colorado Rapids fan (1 MLS Cup); and I'm reasonably entertained.

LevskiSofia and M repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes the promotion part of pro/rel is exciting.

Right now it's July, we have a new coach, half a new squad, and I'm optimistic.

We'll see how long that lasts.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    lol. Playing a new set of teams must be nice.

We have the same good coach but lost most of our best players to bigger teams and European dreams. Last season was great, this season the hope if fading fast. lol

9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but the last 5 seasons have been rather shit ... Even their 8th spot 6yrs ago wasn't a winning season

COL was first in the West and 2nd overall just last year

And in the Prem era COL has been 5th or better 6 times and won the league, neither thing Southampton has done once (in the top flight)

Chesco United and JasonMa repped this.
  11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Winning is exciting too. Losing not so much. Maybe we should scrap counting score?

And surely your lot are excited about visiting Dorking Wanderers for the first time??

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL ... Potential expansion markets for MLS.
    JFC WST tries to frame MLS in the worst possible way, always ...

The clubs/markets they get for MLSNP aren't going to be those that are on that level ... Huntsville AL ? Puh-lease. Rochester saw its ship sail 20+ yrs ago ... The league is literally just a development league, and look at the language -> MINOR LEAGUE. Can't burn both ends of the candle WST

14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like my local USL club but this “USL is authentic soccer” sentiment is getting increasingly cheesy.

Chesco United, russ and HailtotheKing repped this.
  15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    As I said, I've been entertained by Colorado. But, logistics aside, if we could experience the up and downs pro/rel; the variety of teams played over the decade, compared to Southampton; I'd take it. And I don't know if those promotions were done by winning the Championship, coming in 2nd, or winning the promotion playoffs; but I'd put them on par with our MLS Cup win (which I did love).

But it is what it is; I'm not going to let format stop me from enjoying soccer.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co-sign all of the above.

HailtotheKing and AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the bottom line and we (almost all of us) agree on that infinity percent.

Personally I wouldn't go as far as saying gaining promotion to (or back to) the top tier is on par with winning the top tier ... but that's just me.

It also flies in the face of a big argent pro/rel folks tout, that it allows for any team a chance to win it. If that's a hat being hung, then simply getting promoted to the top tier isn't on par with it ... because if it is, then either the promotion isn't as deep/meaningful as they play it to be, OR winning the top tier isn't.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it depends. For a club getting to the premier league for the first time, or for the first time in a long while, it's probably more exciting than it is for fans seeing their club win the premier league for the 5th time in a decade.

I don't think Leicester fans would say getting promoted to the premier league was better than winning it, but I don't really think any fans would be claiming that anyway.

I don't really think "any club in the country can win the premier league" is any more than an "in theory" idea, anyway. Yes, Littlehampton Town could build on their promotion from the Sussex regional leagues, and surge up to the premier league, and blow everyone away from their three-sided ground, but nobody about the age of about 9 is actually entertaining the idea as a possibility. For every club, it's about how far you can progress.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was specifically stating his team's one title and having promotions if that were the system, on par

Though I find it hard to believe that a Liverpool fan would equate a promotion after a drop to their most recent Prem title ... but again, that's just me

Oh, and you'd be surprised how many folks older than 9 (at least physically) in the overarching pro/rel debate toss out that "everyone" line ...

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relegation does not guarantee future promotions.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And promotion does not guarantee future relegations.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's not what I said though.

I'm saying that success after a long drought will be appreciated more than a win in times of plenty, simply because if you are at the top and measure success in the number of tropies won each season, individually those trophies won't mean so much.

Nottingham Forest supporters will have probably enjoyed their promotion more than Man City fans enjoyed their 4th title in five seasons. If they were to somehow win the title in the next few years, they'd probably enjoy that more than their recent promotion though.

By the same token, Bournemouth fans, while undoubtedly delighted to have gone up, it probably won't have scaled the heights of getting there the first time.

If/when the Saudi money turns Newcastle into title winners, they will go crazy for their first title since 1927. If they win four of the next six, it'll still be a big party, but won't be quite the same.

HailtotheKing and AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was speaking about COL's sole MLS CUP title (top tier win) and putting the Prem era Southampton promotions on par with that. In the roughly same time period COL has only ever won the top tier title one time. Southampton has had more than one promotion to the Prem.

I don't see those things being equal. In the example you use above, we're on the same page.

But this is splitting hairs, we're truly in the same arena of thinking. Where I differ is the "Prem era Southampton VS same time COL Rapids" bit.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Paul Berry, HailtotheKing and russ repped this.